FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Houston Rodeo Q Comp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dholcomb1946
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24 06 8:14 am    Post subject: Houston Rodeo Q Comp. Reply with quote

Anyone competing in this circus ? 348 teams, some big dollar sponsors. I am going to go & look around tomorrow (Friday).
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25 06 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circus might be the wrong description Shocked Shocked 348 teams????At least ya know there'll be some damn fine food..not to mention the fillies!! Wink
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25 06 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matter of fact dh..I'd say brother, let's go, whether we're cookin or not!! Laughing Laughing WOOOOHOOOO!!! Twisted Evil Wink
dholcomb1946
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26 06 1:08 am    Post subject: Not what I expected Reply with quote

I went Friday afternoon about 2. Tents as far as you could see. Side by side by side, all enclosed, all with private party only signs on them. Not many pitts to see, they were all at the back of the enclosed tent areas. All the tents set up party style with tables & chairs. Although it opened at noon, nothing much happens until 5, when they start feeding the invitees.

I never did see why anyone who was not invited would bother to go. I had a pass to a private party, but I wasn't going to hang around a couple of hours for some BBQ. I got a freezer full of it Smile

It was a long walk from the parking area to the Q area, and a long walk around the Q area to see what could be seen. And a long walk back to the parking area. It was windy, sool, & breezy - and today is worse.

I'll stick with the smaller comps from now on. Exclamation Wink
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26 06 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Not what I expected Reply with quote

dholcomb1946 wrote:
It was windy, sool, & breezy - and today is worse.

Tell me about it. Confused

I've got a couple of chuck roasts and some beef ribs on right now. baby's go on in about an hour. Very Happy
gordo
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26 06 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Not what I expected Reply with quote

dholcomb1946 wrote:
I went Friday afternoon about 2. Tents as far as you could see. Side by side by side, all enclosed, all with private party only signs on them. Not many pitts to see, they were all at the back of the enclosed tent areas. All the tents set up party style with tables & chairs. Although it opened at noon, nothing much happens until 5, when they start feeding the invitees.

I never did see why anyone who was not invited would bother to go. I had a pass to a private party, but I wasn't going to hang around a couple of hours for some BBQ. I got a freezer full of it Smile

It was a long walk from the parking area to the Q area, and a long walk around the Q area to see what could be seen. And a long walk back to the parking area. It was windy, sool, & breezy - and today is worse.

I'll stick with the smaller comps from now on. Exclamation Wink

I agree 100% 1946--That cookoff is not much when it comes to general public.. cant see the pits, or talk with the teams unless you have a special invite....I know several teams cooking there, but passed on it this year...
I enjoy the Humble Rodeo cookoff alot more where its more open and smaller teams can afford to cook and chat with the visitors that come out to see the show...In my book American Royal in KC was the best of the large cookoffs to visit...of the ones Ive been to...
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26 06 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memphis in May, american Royal, Houston and all the big comps are the same to me. Sad....for the public. They come and imagine they are going to get to taste great Q and instead, vendors are set up selling who probably aren't entered in the contest.

Public Access to contests is something of an issue for me. In my 5 years on the Board of Directors for the National BBQ Association, I pushed this very topic.

Having interview public at all these contests to see what they want, I reported that 1) they want to taste good Q and 2) they want to talk to someone and learn about Q. At NBBQ I created a public day at the national show just for that purpose.

If anyone reads this and comes to one of my contests, I'm SURE that I, Mike, OkieJay and Jeff would love to sit and chat about Q. If you time it right, you can actually eat Q.

To me, being a fan of Q, I'm pretty big on teaching. No one was around to teach me in the 70's and 80's and most of the 90's.

Come to one of my contests...just bring some Beer Very Happy
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27 06 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we like good beer...
Weber 22" Kettle
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27 06 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you Okie bbq'ers...what do ya call GOOD beer Shocked I come down that way sometimes..some GOOD food in exchange?? Wink
Jeff Hughes
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27 06 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lean towards Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam. Now if you can get ahold of Red Tail Ale, we can do some tradin'...

Actually you can eat at my camp any time but crunch time...

Russ and Mike like the Euro stuff, very tastey as well...

Jay and I have not yet had the pleasure meeting, But I'm sure we'll remedy that in Stillwater...

Regards--Jeff
Weber 22" Kettle
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27 06 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff..I've had that Red Tail, and it was sweet!! Believe me, when it's crunch time, I'd be out of the way Wink Up here in Seattle, we get a great selection of the brews...they'd definitely warm you Okie brothers up! Get any rain yet? You're in Tulsa? I used to live close to the Arkansas border..only time I went to T-Town was to get on an airplane..get to OK City to see my buddy, and go to a Sooners game BOOOOMMEEERRRR SSOOOONNNEEERRRRR!!! Wink
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27 06 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Stillwater on 3/31 Friday Evening. Good time to socialize. I'm in spot 13 and Mike is right next to me. Still trying to get those secrets (even after he beats me in a comp).

Any Beer that has "Oktoberfest" in it. Friend owns a German Restaurant (Old Germany) and when beer fest hits, I'm there manning the beer taps (tough job but I'm just the guy).

"Frie beer is wunderbar beer" German saying, loosely translated: Free beer is best.

Just no coors, bud, miller. Any Sam Adams is fine. Fat Tire (which we can't get in OK).

OF course, my preference is Anejo Tequila's but DON'T bring that.

If you actually want to "eat" then you'll need to be there between 11 and 1 but we won't be talking a whole bunch, busy with turnins.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27 06 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Russ, I'm not trying to steal any secrets(at least that you know of) Laughing Feeding Frenzy is on the other side of you....I wouldn't mind stealing some of his brisket secrets.

As far as beer goes, I have 2 main categories....mine and yours. If I'm drinking MY beer, it's most likely Guinness or Stella Artois, thats about it. If I'm drinking YOUR beer, as long as it's cold and plentiful, I'm good with anything but Coors products. Wink I have been known to sip on a little Evan Williams too, or some cognac if it's a little chilly.

For any of you that can make it to Stillwater, it oughta be fun both Friday night and Saturday. Hope some of you can make it!
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27 06 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmokinOkie wrote:
Memphis in May, american Royal, Houston and all the big comps are the same to me. Sad....for the public. They come and imagine they are going to get to taste great Q and instead, vendors are set up selling who probably aren't entered in the contest.

Public Access to contests is something of an issue for me. In my 5 years on the Board of Directors for the National BBQ Association, I pushed this very topic.

Having interview public at all these contests to see what they want, I reported that 1) they want to taste good Q and 2) they want to talk to someone and learn about Q. At NBBQ I created a public day at the national show just for that purpose.

If anyone reads this and comes to one of my contests, I'm SURE that I, Mike, OkieJay and Jeff would love to sit and chat about Q. If you time it right, you can actually eat Q.

To me, being a fan of Q, I'm pretty big on teaching. No one was around to teach me in the 70's and 80's and most of the 90's.

Come to one of my contests...just bring some Beer Very Happy

I couldn't agree with you more. I think that we as a 'public" like to see what's going on.......and as a visual learner seeing is important to me. i have actually never bothered going to a competition..........think I might go to the one here in DC and see the sights this year for the first time.
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28 06 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsmokenofire wrote:
Hey Russ, I'm not trying to steal any secrets(at least that you know of) Laughing Feeding Frenzy is on the other side of you....I wouldn't mind stealing some of his brisket secrets.

Heck, you've already stole all my secrets, that's why you beat me in Ponca. But I have new ones this year. Good or bad, but we'll see.

They're good people, if you don't know them, I'll introduce you. And yuppers, I'll get whatever secrets I can.

Russ
Mikesooner
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28 06 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys..wish I could be there....doesn't look like it for now Sad If and when I make it down there, I'll ship some of the brews you like (Fat Tire is good!!) Time for Bedlam!!
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28 06 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ I might just bring some woodfords to Stillwater on the 31st.... Very Happy
SmokinOkie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28 06 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-O wrote:
Russ I might just bring some woodfords to Stillwater on the 31st.... Very Happy

ddddaaaauuuummmm

Now I'll have the perfect excuse not winning.
FireTowerBBQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24 11 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not competing, but I'll be there hanging out with my buddies at Pitmaker.

PitMaker BBQ Trailer
Vault
Grill Meister
2 HP Multi-Jet Burners
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: