FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked short ribs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30 11 1:07 am    Post subject: Smoked short ribs? Reply with quote

Anyone ever try them? I have a recipe idea I'm executing tomorrow that if all goes well I'll be posting pics, etc. I think short ribs would be good, but can't decide.
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30 11 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye, they are great. I prefer short ribs cuz I like smoked meat instead of smoked bones...

Edited to add... Mines keep coming out tough so I have yet to figure out if you cook them until the connective tissue vanishes (195°) or am I cooking them to long and should go for more of a medium rare...
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30 11 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soapm wrote:
Ye, they are great. I prefer short ribs cuz I like smoked meat instead of smoked bones...

Edited to add... Mines keep coming out tough so I have yet to figure out if you cook them until the connective tissue vanishes (195°) or am I cooking them to long and should go for more of a medium rare...

PM Whitey, he's got a killer Crock Pot recipe with Liquid Smoke. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30 11 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
Soapm wrote:

PM Whitey, he's got a killer Crock Pot recipe with Liquid Smoke. Laughing Laughing Laughing

LOL... I think I could nuke them in the micro in less time than a crock pot...

Too bad I gave up on liquid smoke, was addicted for a while...
greychamp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18 11 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoke beef short ribs quite regularly. Here's how I do them. The day before cooking, I trim off all visible fat and silver-skin from the top side of the ribs and the membrane from the bottom side. I then divide the ribs into two-rib sections and rub with kosher salt, coarsely cracked black pepper and a little cayenne. On the day of cooking, I smoke the ribs for six hours at 225 degrees using the 3-2-1 method. They come out great every time.
Smokin' Hoglegs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26 11 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short ribs are one of my favorite things to smoke!
Greychamps method sounds good, but I like to get them un-shortened so mine take a bit longer. Here is how mine come out...

smokey joe
CI
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27 11 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokin' Hoglegs wrote:
Greychamps method sounds good, but I like to get them un-shortened so mine take a bit longer. Here is how mine come out...

Yours look like they're falling apart which is what I want, when do you consider them done? Fork tender, a temp or when you get that much bone pull...?
Smokin' Hoglegs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27 11 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soapm, fork tender be the best way, like brisket perfect done temp can vary. Of course if you put enough love into them to get them up near 200, you are in for a tasty treat no matter what:wink:
smokey joe
CI
wildfire00

PostPosted: Sat May 28 11 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So On Saturday I decided to do 4 lbs or so of beef short ribs. These things were fat as hell with meat. The first thing I did was make sure I could get my bbq to hold a constant temp of 225 F or so. This is an optimal heat for slow cooking these badboys. Now that that is done, I move on to slicing the ribs into individual portions. With fixins, I could only eat three of these, that�s how big they are. I covered the ribs in my homemade rub and let them sit overnight in the fridge to marinate. At the same time I poured some apple wood chips into a bowl of water and let sit overnight as well.
to see the pics, check out this link to my site.

Now, well the bbq is heating up, remove the ribs from the fridge and let them start warming to room temp. You should always let your thick meat heat up to around room temp before throwing it on the grill. This will ensure even, consistent cooking. I used a small backing sheet with a grate in it. The grate keeps the meat up so that the entire meat surface is affected by the heat and smoke. Plus you will be using this sheet or pan to hold some beer or wine or water. Basically whatever you like as long as it keeps some moisture in the grill without touching the meat. I also added so big chunks of onion so they can slow roast as well. So now add you meat to the grate and pan, you want to spread them out far enough so that they are not touching. The air circulation is a big help. So now that you have reached your optimal heat and added some liquid to your pan you are ready to throw these on the grill. Oh sorry, I missed one step. You will want to sear the outside of your ribs on the hottest part of the grill or in a cast iron pan. Once that is done you are ready to put them on the grill. If you have a smoker box such as I do, you will want to add your soaking wet chips to this and place over the hottest part of your grill. They will burn slowly at first and then burn up pretty quick. Make sure you have necessary glove to handle this box for the changing of chips. I use a pair of channel locks to remove and replace the box. If you don�t have a smoker box, you can easily just use some thick aluminum foil and make one. Just fold you chips in the foil and poke holes on the top and bottom and your smoooookiiiin.

Now after about two hours you can open your grill and start applying your bbq sauce. Either homemade or store bought is fine. I actually just purchased a Budweiser bbq sauce that is really good. This is what I used for these. Lather a nice layer of sauce and close the lid for another hour.

Now a lot of what I talked about in the above is the beginnings to some of the greatest beef ribs you will ever have. My problem was that my bbq tank valve screwed up on me and the first two hours of cook time were wasted. When I started they were at 225. When I went to check on them after the first two hrs I realized that the temp had dropped to 100 F. So needless to say I was supremely pissed. I had to borrow my neighbor�s tank to finish these off. But because I wasted two hrs and was getting pretty hungry, I couldn�t wait the prescribed cook time to eat. They came out with a ton of flavor but were still a little tough. The thing with beef ribs is that they have some veins in them that will only start to render down with a long slow cook. Its these veins that make the meat tough, low and slow and good to go. The only other way to tender these up, is to boil them first. This in my book is a huge no no. You have just sacrificed so much flavor just to speed up your cooking time.. Please do not do this. You will waste some excellent meat.

I will continue on with the proper instruction. So basically you want to cook these for about 5 hrs, ya 5 hrs. You will not regret it. Every hour or half hour, after the first two you can reapply sauce and add beer to your pan. What I do is when adding the beer, just pour some over the meat as well. This will keep everything tender and moist. I am happy with beer, why wouldn�t they be, consider it being your beefs last meal. Lol. When they are done, remove from the bbq and let rest under foil or a cover for about 10 mins. I cooked some corn and mushrooms with these ribs and even with the bbq issues I ran into, they still turned out pretty good. They definitely could have used the extra two hrs though.

So there we have it, hopefully they turn out nice for you as they have for me in the past. If you follow these instructions I am sure you will not be disappointed. Moist, tender and fall of the bone goodness.

Take care and keep the fire hot.
greychamp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27 11 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Soapm"]
Smokin' Hoglegs wrote:

Mine are also made using unshortened ribs. Greychamp
kempshark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 11 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done those type of short ribs. I have done the Korean cut short ribs, and they come out awesome. Occasionally I'll just do them with an offset fire (with some wood) on the Weber. They come out super tender that way also. I don't know why, but I like them better butchered (cut) that way than traditional or long.....
corndog
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29 11 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put 4 racks on my WSM w/ no water pan running at 250...first time doing these...done dino bones, but not short ribs..Rubbed down w/ basic rub, so we'll see how they come out..Looking at a 5 hr cook time since I'm not using a water pan for heat diffusion...

Dang it boy, that's some mighty fine eatin'!!!!
uhmgood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02 11 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey soapm , they look like meat lolli-pops , 2 should be enough for me thanks. oops, that should be to smokinghoglegs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: