FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Show me your....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPhil32
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 12:29 am    Post subject: Show me your.... Reply with quote

Minion method, if you use one. Dustin turns 3 on Saturday, and we are having around 20 or so family members over for his birthday party, and they all want me to provide the chow. Planning on smoking a brisket overnight on Friday on the UDS, and the other items Saturday morning. I have been struggling a bit with my fire in the UDS, especially if I don't put some sort of pan over the fire.

If you use a variation of the Minion method in your UDS, please post photos here and let me know how it works for you. You can be as detailed as you would like to be, as more photos will be great as I will be able to truly disect each photo and test out the methods and see which works better for me.

I sure would like to get some shut eye Friday night, but I really want to be sure the brisket turns out awesome as well. I split some Live Oak las night that I will use for the smoke, but the help I really need now is creating a good base for the fire and getting it to burn a clean burn with close to constant temps as possible. Thanks Ringers for the help!
Smoking since November of 2009...
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, when I fire up the UDS, I put a #10 can in the center (both ends removed), fill around and inside the can.
If you have a weed burner, light the inside of the can. If not, dump some lit coals in it.
Leave it in there for about 15 minutes, to catch the charcoal.
Remove can with a pair of pliers and bring to temp.
Then cook away....
Sorry, no pics, but you get the idea.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no pic’s but really easy. Layer RO lump and wood chunks about the size of a golf ball in basket. Start 1/3 of a chimney and dump on top when ashed over.

Tip #1: Never dump coals onto a wood chunk as it will result in nasty white smoke for quite awhile.

Tip#2: Never add a wood chunk on top of coals after the dump…see white smoke warning above.

Tip#3: Allow at least an hour after the dump for the fire to stabilize and achieve the thin blue.

My last brisket went 17 hour and 19 hours for the burnt ends. Put it on at 11pm and only adjusted the magnets twice.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
KuppiKunta
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm confused. I've never had to cook a brisket 12, 16, 19 hours. I can usually have them done in 6-8 hours easily and never have to do "all nighters".

I assume for these extremely long cooks, you're cooking a packer trim? If so, why not trim it up a bit and remove all the hard fat? A typical packer will have about 2lbs of removable fat. The hard fat is what increases cooking time and it really doesn't render away enough to actually provide any additional flavor. There's plenty of soft fat to render and add flavor. In fact, I'll put my brisket up against just about anyone.
Hasty-Bake Portable
bud-wie-ser
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres how I load up my basket. I usually use briquettes because I can control the burn rate better than with lump. With a full load of briquettes I can go up to 18 hours on a load.

Custom Drum Smoker
UDS
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
BigPhil32
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KuppiKunta wrote:
I guess I'm confused. I've never had to cook a brisket 12, 16, 19 hours. I can usually have them done in 6-8 hours easily and never have to do "all nighters".

I assume for these extremely long cooks, you're cooking a packer trim? If so, why not trim it up a bit and remove all the hard fat? A typical packer will have about 2lbs of removable fat. The hard fat is what increases cooking time and it really doesn't render away enough to actually provide any additional flavor. There's plenty of soft fat to render and add flavor. In fact, I'll put my brisket up against just about anyone.

I do trim the hard fat, but I leave the rest of the fat on. I try to run my temps between 220°-260°, and with the packers I get, they are usually between 12-17 pounds. I pull them off when they hit 195°, and then wrap in foil, then in to a cooler with towels to rest. If you can cook a 17 pound briset in 6-8 hours, that is great, but if it is with the high heat method or seperating the point and the flat, I just don't want to do it that way.

I think my problem has been the way I am setting up my fire. Canadian Bacon (I think it was him) posted on a thread last week on how he sets up his fire, and it really made sense to me. In the past, I think the chuncks of wood I have been using have been too big, so I split some wood last night in to smaller chunks that I think will light easier this time around.

I just don't know which way to go...either the method that Jarhead suggested ot the one that Teleking and others have suggested. With what I am doing know, I make a circle in the middle, leave that area open and put lump and chunks of wood around that circle. I then light my chimney and add the lit lump into the middle of the circle. I just can't get it to light the outside lump like I would like to. So, I will just have to experiment.

If anyone else chimes in, let me know if you do it like Jarhead where you put a can in the middle or if you do it like Teleking and just pour the lit lump on top of the unlit lump. Thanks again!
BigPhil32
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bud-wie-ser wrote:
Heres how I load up my basket. I usually use briquettes because I can control the burn rate better than with lump. With a full load of briquettes I can go up to 18 hours on a load.

So where do you light yours, or do you dump the briquettes/lump on top? If so, where do you dump it? Thanks...
bud-wie-ser
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put 12 lit briquettes on one side of the divider. This number works well for my UDS to get up to 250°. The burn will slowly work its way around the circle of the basket.
Custom Drum Smoker
UDS
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
BigPhil32
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bud-wie-ser wrote:
I put 12 lit briquettes on one side of the divider. This number works well for my UDS to get up to 250°. The burn will slowly work its way around the circle of the basket.

Wow...only 12 briquettes? Nice...I will try this method out soon...thanks for the info!
frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bud-wie-ser wrote:

So you put wood on bottom and then either unlit briquettes or lump all over and around THEN put 12 lit ones on one side.... or do you leave an open space in the circle for the 12 lit ones?

Just curious if you place the lit one directly on the wood or even on lump/or unlit briquettes
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankncali wrote:
Just curious if you place the lit one directly on the wood

See Tip#1 above ^^^^^^

Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bud-wie-ser wrote:

Nice basket! What are the dimensions?
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I lit up my mini the other day.
I just put some lump in the basket, lit it in a few spots with my small weed burner. The one load lasted me 5 hours. Smile

18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
KuppiKunta
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPhil32 wrote:
KuppiKunta wrote:

I do trim the hard fat, but I leave the rest of the fat on. I try to run my temps between 220°-260°, and with the packers I get, they are usually between 12-17 pounds. I pull them off when they hit 195°, and then wrap in foil, then in to a cooler with towels to rest. If you can cook a 17 pound briset in 6-8 hours, that is great, but if it is with the high heat method or seperating the point and the flat, I just don't want to do it that way.

I think my problem has been the way I am setting up my fire. Canadian Bacon (I think it was him) posted on a thread last week on how he sets up his fire, and it really made sense to me. In the past, I think the chuncks of wood I have been using have been too big, so I split some wood last night in to smaller chunks that I think will light easier this time around.

I just don't know which way to go...either the method that Jarhead suggested ot the one that Teleking and others have suggested. With what I am doing know, I make a circle in the middle, leave that area open and put lump and chunks of wood around that circle. I then light my chimney and add the lit lump into the middle of the circle. I just can't get it to light the outside lump like I would like to. So, I will just have to experiment.

If anyone else chimes in, let me know if you do it like Jarhead where you put a can in the middle or if you do it like Teleking and just pour the lit lump on top of the unlit lump. Thanks again!

I cook around 225 and leave the point and flat together, but most packers I get around here are more like 11-12 pounds. I've never done one as big as 17lbs. I also pull at 195. Sometimes I wrap in foil at 160, but just depends on the day. Sounds like we trim in the same manner....remove hard fat, leave the soft stuff.
Hasty-Bake Portable
BigPhil32
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KuppiKunta wrote:

I cook around 225 and leave the point and flat together, but most packers I get around here are more like 11-12 pounds. I've never done one as big as 17lbs. I also pull at 195. Sometimes I wrap in foil at 160, but just depends on the day. Sounds like we trim in the same manner....remove hard fat, leave the soft stuff.

Maybe your briskets cook quicker because you foil at 160°??? I have never foiled a brisket during a cook, only after it reaches 195°. Maybe this could be why your briskets cook quicker??? Inquiring minds want to know...lol I might have to try foling at 160° this time around and seeing how long it takes...if is cuts the cook down, I am all for it!!!
KuppiKunta
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPhil32 wrote:
KuppiKunta wrote:

Maybe your briskets cook quicker because you foil at 160°??? I have never foiled a brisket during a cook, only after it reaches 195°. Maybe this could be why your briskets cook quicker??? Inquiring minds want to know...lol I might have to try foling at 160° this time around and seeing how long it takes...if is cuts the cook down, I am all for it!!!

Sounds logical Phil, but my time doesn't seem to vary when I foil or not foil.
Hasty-Bake Portable
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KuppiKunta wrote:
Sounds logical Phil, but my time doesn't seem to vary when I foil or not foil.

Sounds like you haven’t gotten one of THOSE cuts of meat yet. Mine usually cook faster but I now have had a shoulder and brisket stall @ the 160° mark for hours. It WILL happen to you at some point. Wink

Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here:http://virtualweberbullet.com/

Then search on Minion Method or:http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup1.html

You can larn everything you want to know about the Minion Method. It works. It is not just for WSM's.

Robert C.
1 Home Built XL GF Stump clone w/Roc's Stoker
3 Cookshack FEC100's
1 Good One P30 (on loan)
1 Vermont Casting gas grill
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip, here is a pic of Debbie's basket just when I lit it.

Here is a pic of the WSM when I just lit it.

Debbie's with out the divider.

Another WSM load.

Hybrid Cooker
bud-wie-ser
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19 11 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell Fire Grill wrote:

Nice basket! What are the dimensions?

If recall correctly, it is 17.5" in diameter and 7" deep.
Custom Drum Smoker
UDS
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: