FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PMPNLT650pxOTLS!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12 11 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I host all my own pictures too so I understand both the fact that you don't want to redo the ones you have already posted, (I batch resize and rename pictures before I do anything with them with Irfanview), and the fact that we are creatures of habit and it's not your habit so you wont be doing it.

Thanks for sharing your opinion though.

I still work here!
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12 11 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soybomb wrote:
I'm not a photobucket user, any image that I link to is on a server of my own and I see no reason to go with such low resolutions for my own use. But I do understand why you might prefer that, just sharing the opposing view point. Very Happy

I did suspect the forum would carry on fine without my pics however Very Happy

Aw, we'd miss your stuff, no doubt Wink

Ok, so there's an incremental pain in the butt we pay to keep those that pay our way for us happy. I can live with that Cool

I essentially self-host my own files as well (using my ISP-provided umpteen gigs of hot-linkable web space) and considering how small a 640x480 jpg file is and how quickly and easily they can be created (any number of ways) I don't have any problem creating a down-size file from something I'm pushing up to my archive anyway. And it's not like I flood this place after all - I might link a handful of pics a week - so the extra, tiny files aren't using much of my space or time.

NBD...

Cheers!
Sterno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I am very saddened to see this limitation of picture size. I was so looking forward to post my latest BBQ pics, but it seems I can't.

Photography is another hobby of mine and I do always edit all my online photos to 800 wide (or portrait pics to 600 wide). I do admit, pictures wider than 800 pixels on forums are getting annoyingly large, but 800 should be acceptable.

I believe this size is more or less the minimal size to really create the wow effect on a good picture. As I host my own pics, post to several forums and my smokering blog, I just can't see myself re-editing all the pics to a smaller size just to post here.

I really hope this limitation could be removed one day, or otherwise I can post here only the occasional portrait mode pics... which makes no sense.

Kind Regards,
Sterno
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sterno wrote:
I must say I am very saddened to see this limitation of picture size. I was so looking forward to post my latest BBQ pics, but it seems I can't.

Photography is another hobby of mine and I do always edit all my online photos to 800 wide (or portrait pics to 600 wide). I do admit, pictures wider than 800 pixels on forums are getting annoyingly large, but 800 should be acceptable.

I believe this size is more or less the minimal size to really create the wow effect on a good picture. As I host my own pics, post to several forums and my smokering blog, I just can't see myself re-editing all the pics to a smaller size just to post here.

I really hope this limitation could be removed one day, or otherwise I can post here only the occasional portrait mode pics... which makes no sense.

Kind Regards,
Sterno

Then until the size or resize restrictions are removed, post the pictures on your blog, and if you want our interest, post a link to you blog telling us how good your pictures look inside the post describing how good it looked! Wink

See, there are so many ways you can still do as you wish, by hosting you own pictures and sizing them once!

[rant]If you look through the posts, even repeatedly telling people 650 on the longest side, see how many still post 800 or larger on the longest side, is it that people just can't work it out, or are they too lazy or stubborn to try and make the whole site better for everyone, or should we all set things the way the few want.

Sterno, I was so enthused by your description of the wonderful 800 x pictures I went to your blog... and was so disappointed! Rolling Eyes Embarassed Shocked
Your pictures are 800 x 530, but they are only displayed at 400 x 265 in the context of your post! I don't know what you do on your blog for the WOW factor, but having to click in and out of the pictures, just doesn't do it for me? Wink

Perhaps we should all buy 23" monitors, for all our computers, and then set the display at the highest setting too![/rant]

Have a nice day! Wink

I still work here!
Sterno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:

Sterno, I was so enthused by your description of the wonderful 800 x pictures I went to your blog... and was so disappointed! Rolling Eyes Embarassed Shocked
Your pictures are 800 x 530, but they are only displayed at 400 x 265 in the context of your post! I don't know what you do on your blog for the WOW factor, but having to click in and out of the pictures, just doesn't do it for me? Wink

The blog is really the worst place to get the pictures to "pop", unless you click on them. Not a very good place for presenting pictures. Therefore I like to post to forums for a better picture experience.

The workflow of post processing pictures to a certain size takes helluva lot of work (cropping, re-sizing and only after that sharpening etc). After that the picture can not be resized any more, or the sharpening effect would ruin the picture.

I am a bit surprised about your sarcastic attitude. I did not mean to offend you or this truly great forum. I was just expressing my wish for you to reconsider the picture size limitation or re-think about the placement of advertisements.

Cheers,
Sterno
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A better picture experience"? What's that all about? Confused

Frankly, considering how much incoming this topic still seems to gather, I think SoEzzy is showing remarkable patience. If I was him I'd have already played the "Deal with it, or hit the friggin' road already!" card.

But that's me - I'm all about regimentation and ruling by fiat Wink

I wonder if a substantial advertisement contract might buy some lenience from the gendarmes? Laughing

Cheers
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sterno wrote:
The workflow of post processing pictures to a certain size takes helluva lot of work (cropping, re-sizing and only after that sharpening etc). After that the picture can not be resized any more, or the sharpening effect would ruin the picture.

I am a bit surprised about your sarcastic attitude. I did not mean to offend you or this truly great forum. I was just expressing my wish for you to reconsider the picture size limitation or re-think about the placement of advertisements.

Cheers,
Sterno

Here is one of the pictures off your site

http://www.soezzy.com/bbq/images/tsr/mojo4.jpg

The image has a copyright on it, so I am posting the link using the fair use clause of copyright, and the link is purely for educational purposes!

I took it and resized it to 650 x 431, and so unless that was one you hadn't done all the other work to, I'll just call the BS as I see it.

And if you're not sure if that was sarcastic enough, come on back at me again! Rolling Eyes

I still work here!
Sterno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy, this would be only fair if you also posted the link to the original picture. If you compare these two, I dont think you have to think twice which looks better, the original 800 or your 650 version??

http://suomalaiset.de/kuveja/mojo4.jpg

SoEzzy wrote:
And if you're not sure if that was sarcastic enough, come on back at me again! Rolling Eyes

I do not want to fight. As a photographer, I was just wanted to give feedback about the limitation, which was obviously a mistake. Sorry about that. I leave it here. Peace.

Sterno
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sterno wrote:
SoEzzy, this would be only fair if you also posted the link to the original picture. If you compare these two, I dont think you have to think twice which looks better, the original 800 or your 650 version??

http://suomalaiset.de/kuveja/mojo4.jpg

SoEzzy wrote:

I do not want to fight. As a photographer, I was just wanted to give feedback about the limitation, which was obviously a mistake. Sorry about that. I leave it here. Peace.

Sterno

But we are not comparing the 800 against the 650, what we should be comparing is the 400 x 265 posted on the front page of your blog http://www.sternosbbq.com/ with the 650 px one I linked to!

Peace out!

I still work here!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
Its So Ezzy,get a photo shop account click here........................

Click 640X480 the perfect size

Upload at this size and you will never meet the Forest Ranger. Very Happy Very Happy

I don't see how this is so difficult for some of our members.

I'm great at a lot of things, but posting pics (used to be) one I struggled on myself.

With CBs most excellent tutorial above, just about anyone can do it! Wink

I for one am thankful not to have to scroll anymore here for the most part.

In the past, when the scrolling started I went on to the next topic in a hurry............................
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a blog, but for Sterno's sake here are some pics that look great at typical forum friendly sizes (at least I think they look great! Wink Rolling Eyes Confused Shocked Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing )

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the entire post. The bottom line is this, the owner of the sight has evidently asked our moderator to clean up the pics so that they do not push the company's that pay good money for advertising off the page. I do not think this is wildcatter one man show that SoEzzy is doing he was asked to do so after all that is his task as moderator. I also struggled with photobucket when I first started and quickly learned, I was in total agreement with BBQMAN on his requests way back when I first joined to please re-size your pics as it is a much more enjoyable experience to not have to scroll. I use a 24" monitor on my home computer, I have my browser page sized to where I can just see the ads, the rest of the monitor is used for a second browser page for searching. Everyone on here, in my opinion, posts great pics for their ability as cooks and photographers, granted there are some that are more capable with the camera than others C.B. and D.M. both put out WOW factor pics with no problem sizing, there abilities with their camera and knowledge of photography is what gives them the WOW factor at a size of 640 x 480. I preview every post I write, it does take a little longer but it assures me that everything is as I wanted it. . I have been asking members to re-size way before this thread was created, every time someone asks how to post pics I mention the sizing. I apologize for the long post, and hope that those that have said they are moving on reconsider and just realize that these requests have a purpose.

Hybrid Cooker
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only a couple of mouse clicks to get the right size pics posted from photobucket............it's totally painless Very Happy Very Happy and you still have your original format on your computer for future use.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17 11 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
It's only a couple of mouse clicks to get the right size pics posted from photobucket............it's totally painless Very Happy Very Happy and you still have your original format on your computer for future use.

Exactly. I use photobucket for the ring only. Everything else is somewhere else.
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 11 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01 11 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beertooth wrote:

Now that cracked me up!

On another note, I don't see what the problem is. Just re-size yer pics and keep the big, bad bear Wink off your a$$. If I could figure it out
(with help from SoEzzey), any other idiot can too Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01 11 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one thing that I like about Flickr. All you have to do is upload your picture & it offers you multiple sizes to use or link to. Plus it keeps the original photo.

I pay $24 per year for unlimited storage and some great features. Smile

This is a cropped down pic of what it offers me after I upload a pic.

They do have free accounts if you just want to sign up & check it out.

I have every picture that I have ever posted here. November 19th, 2007 is when it all started. And they will never expire or disappear as long as I have a pro account.
18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Shotgun Petes
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 02 11 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dodnt realize there was a problem with my picture sizes. I went back and re-posted my pictures because I though I had done something wrong.
I did not know you had changed them to links.
I have never seen this thread until now.
Sorry...I will try to fix them.

"If you can't BBQ with the Big Dogs, back away from the Pit!"

SHOTGUN PETE'S BBQ SHACK
28 N Ninth St
COLUMBIA, MO

(Downtown across from The Blue Note)
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02 11 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them were OK, but every now and then one sneaks through Pete! Wink

I still work here!
hawk1

PostPosted: Mon May 09 11 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't putting this thread in maybe a "rules" thread be more pratical? I wouldn't have and didn't even think to look in "General BBQ Discussion" for picture rules. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: