FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Bar-B-Q in Kyrg...Shenanigans...Forever!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 124, 125, 126  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03 11 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQMAN wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes I tell people I'm from Canada.

That's just priceless right there. Confused Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tell us again why you are there?

Kyrgyzstan is the only country hosting both a US base and a Russian base. No country likes having foreign troops on their turf. This makes political discussion here interesting. Honestly, I try to avoid political discussion, the Canada comment helps this. Obviously, here at the restaurant, (if there were any people in it) I can't lie to customers.

I trust nobody took offense. I truly love our country and miss it every day.
blowtorch
Paul Mitchell hair dryer (swiped)
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 11 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken wings here are $3/lb, Chicken quarters (leg+thigh) are $.90/lb and have way more meat. I'd like to make an appetizer from these quarters to go with beer. Yesterday we deboned some and made some nuggets in the fryer that weren't too bad.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

BBQMAN nice site and congrats on your 10 years in business. I hope we can get ONE breakeven day by ten weeks.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 11 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this is good.

I'm trying to train Sasha the bartender as kitchen help.

"Sasha, we're making cole slaw and egg salad for today. Boil the eggs and chop them like we did yesterday, then chop the cabbage and let me have a look when you're finished."

He brings me a bowl with the chopped cabbage and eggs mixed together.

In other news, there's a draft beer pump and a cooling apparatus laying on the bar floor, and we got spring napkin holders.

I'll put some pics up tomorrow that should punctuate the adventure. I wrote chuckied that I didn't want to put bbq pics up 'cause the quantities we're doing right now look so small in the cooker that only has one small rack up on bricks.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 11 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3pm Aigul, a lady who's a regular just came wanting to rent our VIP room for tonight at 6 for 20 "influential" people. They of course wanted to bring their own alcohol

In other news, we're getting draft beer today. They're drilling holes in the bar. I gotta pay for a bunch of hoses, adapters, etc., so I give Sasha the bartender $100 to run across the street and exchange it. Five minutes later, he's running around looking worried. He lost it. There goes almost half his monthly salary. I gotta put the help wanted sign back up.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user

Last edited by JAllen on Fri Feb 04 11 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 11 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAllen wrote:
3pm Aigul, a lady who's a regular just came wanting to rent our VIP room for tonight at 6 for 20 "influential" people. They of course wanted to bring their own alcohol.

I would quote her a price that includes a meal of your famous "Canadian Style" BBQ. Wink Remind her that if she brings her own booze (is it legal?), that a setup charge must be added. That will cover the use and cleaning of your glassware.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Hmmm, cabbage and egg salad? What kind of dressing? Laughing

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 11 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
brings her own booze (is it legal?)

I am getting the impression that nothing is illegal over there. Shocked

Cheers

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04 11 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleking, Jarhead, thanks for the comments. It gets worse. Those guys putting in the beer taps...well, I needed to order a huge CO2 cannister. This thing is six feet tall and it goes in the nice corridor between the kitchen and the dining hall. The dining hall is quite nice with immaculate laminate floors. The cannister weighs about 150lbs. I'm sitting at the bar with my back to the front door, watching guys drill holes in it and eyeing the register and stuff. I hear behind me a loud "plunk!" This guy dropped the cannister on the laminate floor...just inside the front door. I turn around and am shocked...shocked. (actually I'm hard to shock these days) I stand up and yell "Hey!" at the guy, pointing to the destruction he's doing with this thing.

"It's okay, we'll pick it up."

He doesn't pick it up at first, but proceeds to start wheeling in on one edge, leaving a two-foot corkscrew scratch in front of the door.

Opening a restaurant isn't easy. I didn't expect it to be. My guess is most people in the US have the same issues.

Website smokies.kg should be live in a day or two.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 11 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya we have to grease palms here too, just In the US they call it permits and fees!If you don't have one you should get a hand truck, sounds like no one over there cares about your stuff so supply a hand truck and demand they use it!
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 11 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some of that protection money that was solicited may just stop stupid stuff like this from happening?
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 11 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Hmmm, cabbage and egg salad? What kind of dressing? Laughing[/quote]

Jarhead, thanks for the good advice. I think I did the right thing by telling her that we just weren't set up to manage her party yet. Minimal staff (you need to have at least one waiter just for that room) the bathroom in the basement still has frozen pipes, we didn't have enough food for them, considering she gave me 3 hours' notice and we're still in the soft opening phase. All the makings of a less than perfect evening for the guests. She left her number and I plan to call her and make her a nice offer should she want to come in the future.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 11 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat am and I can't remember the last time I slept more than five hours. Woke up with a nasty case of pinkeye in both eyes. Together with Ilia, the driver/pit monitor/mason we're trying to figure out why two of our three toilets (one in the basement) are without water now for two weeks. I doubt the notion that there are frozen pipes anywhere.

Smoker trials are over. Free samples are over and the locals are very positive about the smoke flavor, the rub and the menu.

This week we should get updated business cards with the new logo, signs ordered, full tableware delivery, ovens and a facebook ad at 0 for view, .25 per click from users over 18 in Kyrgyzstan.

From next week on Fri/Sat we'll be staying open late as we had a bunch of people knocking last night after elelven. This means I'll be staying late late with Sasha the bartender and telling lots of drunk people I'm from Vancouver or Saskachewan.

$100 for 10 napkin holders?

Beef and lamb prices have risen 35% since Jan 1. That was not planned in, but should have been. Draft and bottled beer same whse price per liter. We get a third fridge today. (one from home)

This place is like a black hole that sucks in everything, money, time, and even home appliances. Getting ready for the working capital increase that will come in the Spring; beer, food, etc. That'll hurt a bit. Maybe one day it will spit off some profit. I still give only 10% we make it to year 2.

Why are we doing this? Because we wanted to, and because we could. Most of all, I would have regretted not giving it a good try.

There's a chance we won't have to buy/build tables for outdoor if we can get them from the beer companies. That a 2k lightener.

Thanks to everyone following and commenting. I feel like we have a small rooting section in this very tiny corner of the world.

And I 'm sure the good posts are still to come.

I just wrote cash register check number 100.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05 11 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilia just went to get Mrs. JAllen, Sasha the bartender went home sick and it's just me. This pinkeye has me looking like I got into Sasha's stash. The owner just came by to help with the water problem and asked me what's up with my eyes.

Three young ladies just came in for coffee and it's overcast outside and snowing, so sunglasses aren't the best idea either.

At least I'm on eyedrops.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06 11 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night we got home to a blackout. It's more profitable for the country to sell their limited hydroelectric power abroad, so they cut people off outside the center and piss them off. This is part of what led to last year's revolt.

Right now, it's sporadic and their in the phase where they're telling people the lines are down. Then when people get used to this, they start the planned blackouts. At least the restaurant doesn't get this treatment.

After three weeks, I can hardly smell bbq spices, maybe it's because I've been sick.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06 11 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, Sasha the bartender told Mr.s JAllen he was tired of doing dishes. He said we should all take turns. I gave him some advice.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06 11 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spend 15 of the last 18 hours sleeping. Feel and look like hell. Spent some time answering pms (thanks) and I'm wondering about the need to provide some grilling after the weather improves. Yesterday, both beer companies failed to bring draft beer, so we were left with customers looking at the taps and asking for it.

Business is slow, and we need to find a plan to ramp up personnel (and everything else if/when/before it increases. More dishes/glasses/bigger sinks, bigger food purchases, hot/cold holding, more tables outside, grilling cook, live music outside, projector outside for sports, more beer taps as we've only got two, ice machine- I think I've just listed about 5k in investment that I need to make to have any hope of reclaiming the 10k already sunk.

Then we should be fine. I'm gonna look online for plans for picnic tables and benches.

Any recipes for bbq snacks to go with beer that we can sell? ABTs are out as we don't have cream cheese here.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06 11 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAllen, here are some plans that I found last summer that was advertised on TV. I haven't built one yet, but plan to this summer.
The pdf file has a cut sheet and materials list.

With detached seating
http://www.greatsouthernwood.com/projects/project.aspx?id=49

With attached seating
http://www.greatsouthernwood.com/projects/picnictable

Salty or hot snacks, pretzels, peanuts, popcorn, etc go great with beer. Make your own cereal mix snacks that are both salty and hot. I've made this and added Frank's Hot Sauce to it and it is great. Build your own flavor profile out of the basic recipe.
http://www.chex.com/recipes/RecipeView.aspx?RecipeId=6709&CategoryId=343

No cream cheese? That sucks...How about pepper jack or a pimento cheese? I don't think I would make these for snacks unless the customer ordered them as or like an appetizer. You and I both know what a PITA they are to make a bunch of them and how fast they disappear.

Keep up the good work. It will all come together.

Jarhead's World Blog
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06 11 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead, thanks for the table link. We'll try to make some when the weather clears. Mfg cereals are very expensive here. We're thinking about doing popcorn and roasting some peanuts, making them salty and hot.

Any other ideas, comments would be great.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06 11 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good spicy peanut recipe.

6 teaspoons vegetable oil
6 cups unsalted peanuts
6 teaspoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt, or to taste

In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in the peanuts, chili powder, and red pepper.
Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until peanuts are warm. Drain well on paper towels.
Sprinkle garlic salt over peanuts and toss to combine. Cool completely.
Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature.

Single layer in a sheet-pan and into the smoker for 30-45 minutes, instead of cooking in the skillet. Stir a few times.

Have you thought about a spicy boiled peanut?

Jarhead's World Blog
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about a spicy boiled peanut?[/quote]

Not recently, but if you lay the recipe on me, I promise to try it and let you know how it goes over.

Lately I'm thinking a lot about how to unfreeze/get water back in our two non-working toilets. Sasha was up last night pouring hot water in the pipes. He said they were empty. Hmm.

1030am Monday (we're closed for business) and I'm off to check on things, call the ad guy/sign guy/get business cards (hopefully) and buy and rub meat for tomorrow.

My wife actually bought meat for home. We've got more in the fridge -- cooked and uncooked than we know what to do with and she does this. She was at the restaurant yesterday.

I'm still looking red-eyed as a vampire.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07 11 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lately I'm thinking a lot about how to unfreeze/get water back in our two non-working toilets. Sasha was up last night pouring hot water in the pipes. He said they were empty. Hmm."It might not be frozen but the water to the two lines could be just turned off!check your supply lines under the toilets make sure they are turned on,check to see it there are any valves inside in the "basement" or outside and see if they have been turned off.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 124, 125, 126  Next
Page 4 of 126

Jump to: