FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Bar-B-Q in Kyrg...Shenanigans...Forever!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 124, 125, 126  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thsmoker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 13 12 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAllen wrote:
daddywoofdawg wrote:
Jallen,My cat says she could do some serious climbing and claw sharpening on that pole behind you!LOL!

daddywoofdawg, bring her in and let her do some scratchin'.

In other news, Jared, a great guy from the embassy who comes in a lot, brought in his own bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's.

While he was polite about the whole thing, it was still motivational. Enough to get Mrs. JAllen whipping up a new sauce. Actually, two new sauces, one approaching the SBR profile and one XXX hot.

We've been putting SBR up against our new sauce and ours is winning almost unanimously.

For the XXX sauce, we need some thicker gloves to carry it around with.

Maybe you can jar some up and sell them. What other kinds of sauce do they like in Kyrgyzstan? Probably something for Kebobs.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon May 14 12 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect sweet stuff to be popular in your area of the world due to the meats that are sweetened in many Asian kitchens.
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 14 12 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I would expect sweet stuff to be popular in your area of the world due to the meats that are sweetened in many Asian kitchens.

Interestingly enough, Harry, the food here is relatively bland. kebobs only get vinegar at most and other Central Asian dishes are either steamed or boiled.

Not a lot of spicing, going on, except for the occasional dash of cumin or red pepper.

Sweet and meat is not liked for the most part by the local population.

In other news, we finished last week and were not very happy with the result, having two non-breakeven days. That hasn't happened since just after New Year's.

Last year's summer was miserable until after July 4th, and now I'm worried about all the vodka going bad before we sell it.

We even have a "cornhole" game outside for people to play.
blowtorch
Paul Mitchell hair dryer (swiped)
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 15 12 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excitement for Tuesday:

We had an okay lunch, so I'm feeling pretty good about that, but last Friday we got a visit from Brad and Amal, who have just opened a cool Canadian coffee shop in the center of town.

They liked Mrs. JAllen's cheesecake, and said it was "the best in the city." So they are now buying for their coffee shop.

They just re-ordered two with blueberries.

And tonight I got a note on our facebook page that some pilots are coming in with their flight crew at 530. I hope we've got enough Captain Morgan.

Credence on the Hi-Fi - Stuck in Lodi Again.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 15 12 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAllen wrote:
...now I'm worried about all the vodka going bad before we sell it.

I don't know whether I'm more happy that I no longer drink and don't know that vodka goes bad or ashamed that I used to have vodka and consumed it so quickly that I never got the chance to find out it goes bad.

Last edited by Poppa's PTL Club on Wed May 16 12 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
cjschuckwagon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 16 12 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man, you survive with style.....and lodi isnt such a bad place....cj
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 17 12 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj, poppa, thanks for the comments.

We are a week into fully-cratered business mode. At least it was not totally unexpected. This, despite having a very okay outdoor area.

Bit of a bummer, but we can at least look forward to increased business again in the Fall.

Since this is only our second Summer, it was the kind of thing we experienced last year, but hoped it didn't happen this year. To mitigate, I plan to take some business cards to hotels' concierges and reduce some staff hours.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu May 17 12 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAllen wrote:
cj, poppa, thanks for the comments.

We are a week into fully-cratered business mode. At least it was not totally unexpected. This, despite having a very okay outdoor area.

Bit of a bummer, but we can at least look forward to increased business again in the Fall.

Since this is only our second Summer, it was the kind of thing we experienced last year, but hoped it didn't happen this year. To mitigate, I plan to take some business cards to hotels' concierges and reduce some staff hours.

In doing so think about a marketing plan and maybe once a month event that centers on bringing folks in.
Doing events for a first time can a good thing or bad thing.
#3 LIAR
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 21 12 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New week and as I look over last week's result, I'm thinking things could be worse. We had a good night Saturday due to the soccer Euro champion's league final.

We were here until 4am listening to screams of joy and sadness as the fans made far too much noise for a game whose score was 1-1.

Had a couple Canadians and Vern at the bar drinking successive cocktails. I actually think they got into double digits, and I had more than one myself.

Other than that, current problems include lack of a night shifter on Sun/Mon/and I think Tues, so our 24/7 hours are in serious jeopardy.

Add to that, we had a refer and at least one of our A/C units out this morning, so we've got some expenses coming.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
YardFullOfOak
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 22 12 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAllen wrote:

Had a couple Canadians and Vern at the bar drinking successive cocktails. I actually think they got into double digits, and I had more than one myself.

Don't drink at work.
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 22 12 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YardFullOfOak wrote:
JAllen wrote:

Don't drink at work.

Oh, thank you for that advice.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 22 12 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we move further into what I'm dubbing the 'slow season,' I do so with a bit of a heavy heart. Obviously, I don't believe we've offended our entire client base, who seem to have deserted us, but still these are difficult days.

We're reducing the daily smoke and curtailing alcohol purchases, and absolutely nobody is feeling good about that.

While not as bad as the downturn last year, it's still bad as I put some potato skins in the oven and get ready for game 5 of the Lakers vs. the Thunder. It's a replay as I'm watching it this afternoon.

And one of the flight mechanics, Oscar Meyer, (yes, that is his real name) called to say he's coming in at about six. He called yesterday, but said he passed out before he could make it over here.

Oscar Meyer is either a Spanish guy from Germany or a German guy from Spain. I can't figure it out.

That's okay, Oscar Meyer.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 23 12 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, as much as I've been complaining, last night was very good with three big groups of Canadians adding to the hoopla.

The outdoor bar was full on a Tuesday night and various spirits were ebbing and flowing...maybe just flowing.

We had one group of pilots and flight mechanics and stewardesses, a group of new customers brought in by a great regular customer, Vincent, a few people from the embassy at the bar, and a couple groups of ladies hanging out drinking Jameson.

Of course, Vern showed up about eleven after he got off work.

Everything was going okay until about midnight, when the ladies tried to convince the guys to go to Dolls. Then things got even better as the prospect of going to Dolls warranted another full round for the upcoming discussion.

I left before the discussion ended, and we had a very okey evening.

Still it's up in the air whether the place will remain in the black over the Summer.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 24 12 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so much for complaining about the business drop...

Just got a request to rent the entire outdoor area tomorrow from 5-830 for 76 people.

Very happy about that.

And thanks to the bar business, overall we've been doing okay, with a lot of am business.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 24 12 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you charge extra for "exclusive" events like this??
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 24 12 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geronimo wrote:
Do you charge extra for "exclusive" events like this??

No, they just order off the menu. We are having a 4th of July party, doing whole pigs. That will be one price.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 25 12 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked, most places I have ever known/heard of charge an extra fee to "rent a room" in a restaurant and still order off the menu.

The "room fee" gives them exclusive rights so others (strangers) are not allowed/seated in their space.

Generally it also gives the party exclusive wait staff and (possibly) party favors that regular patrons don't get.

If I remember, we touched on this same subject a while back Shocked
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 25 12 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question and point, Geronimo. Right now we're happy being guaranteed a packed house with a minimum food/bar tab.

If we were packed every night already, then it would make sense to charge a lot extra for the exclusive right to the hall/patio.

For example, tonight's gig is from 5-830, so they're hardly interfering with our base business which starts around 8, so we're happy.

Also I'm not sure enough of the competitive environment, and we're already a pretty expensive place, so I'm not sure how much we could charge.

I do know there are a lot of okay, cheaper options.

In other news, I just posted the 4h of July pig roast info at the Smokie's BBQ facebook page. I'd really like to have 80% of tickets sold by end of June.

We'll see how it goes.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
JAllen
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 25 12 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

530 and the 70-odd guests are arriving, seemingly all at the same time. Everything's ready, and the only thing missing is the usual mayhem in the kitchen.

Everything seems to be going smoothly. There was a bit of a bump earlier as the ribs didn't get in as early as we'd hoped.

Other than the fact that we will surely run out of ice, everything is okay so far.

615 Update: Absolute total chaos, snafu, fubar. We were serving tables picnic style and didn't have containers for slaw. We ran out of forks as more people than expected came in, we were slow pulling the chicken...someone wanted another tobasco on the table, do we have habanero?...they moved the tables around, decreasing the potential number of people who could sit at them, can you move these tables into the shade...

645 and we're getting ready for dessert as I eat a carrot and a Winston in the air-conditioned main hall all alone.
blowtorch
unashamed foam user
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 25 12 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charging for room rental;

Some people do not accept an extra charges too easily.

case in point, a small catered event we are doing next month, 40 couples touring the midwest on motorcycles, and the Harley Davidson factory in Tomahawk WI while in the area. The group booked 40 rooms, and the manager offered the banquet room to them due to the bulk booking, owner now wants banquet room rental fee's, he would not negotiate. so the entire group has changed their accommodations to another place due to the nickel & dime BS charge for the room

Moral of the story; You get greedy, you stand a good chance of losing more than you may stand to gain.
$85/night room rental, 40 rooms for 3 nights. That is a little over $10K in lost revenue for that hotel now lost due to jaboonery, douchebaggery, with a little bit of schistering sprinkled on top.

And we have another change of venue next week for a rehearsal dinner that was also upset with a different owner of the venue that started tacking on all sorts of little nickel & dime B-S charges, and they decided to change location because of it.
the venue ended up wanting $18/person for plate, glass, & flatware rental. They already have 100% of the alcohol sales, yet they got greedy and "Poof" there goes that booking too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 124, 125, 126  Next
Page 112 of 126

Jump to: