FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

longhorn ribs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
azmike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13 06 9:09 pm    Post subject: longhorn ribs Reply with quote

I will be around the shop all day so I decided to cook up a mess of longhorn ribs. They are pretty lean, any ideas to keep them edible? No I refuse to wrap pork on my beef! I suppose they are more like game meat with reguard to fat content.
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14 06 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have yourself quite a challenge there. right at the first, I thought wrap them in bacon, but you cut that off at the knees. Hmmmmm. Maybe just keep them slathered in a sauce during the cook, spritz them often. I can recommend Roxy's Saturday Night Sauce, it sure helped my beef ribs that I did a couple weeks ago. I'd be real tempted to foil them pretty early into the cook. Keep'em out long enough to get some smoke, then foil them to keep them moist.
Good Luck, dont forget the pics.
azmike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14 06 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skybob, I'll keep a water pan in the smoker too. Also smokin a beef tongue, I'll snap a few shots of that as well. A good rule for this kind of dinner party is lots of Keystone early and serve late!
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14 06 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get enough of the liquid refreshment flowing and you could just slather a little sauce on a charcoal briquet and they'd think you were the best cook in the area.
azmike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15 06 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n247/doubleadobe/101_0033.jpg
Here is yesterdays BBQ ribs on the top rack, short ribs in mustard slather (Alien gave this info on a visit) on the lower rack, other cool looking thing is the beef tonge ala Nike. It was one tough piece of bbq! I will thin slice for lunch meat, maybe. Was fun but the longhorns don't have the fat of a nice pork rib for a good cook.
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15 06 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about a mustard slather, too. To me, after I did the last beef ribs a couple weeks ago, I just don't think that they have enough meat to make it worthwhile. And those ribs probably had twice as much fat on them as your LongHorn ribs would have. They tasted good, but just a couple nibbles per rib it seemed like. They sure looked good in the grocery store, but really shrunk up on the cooker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: