FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SVonhof's official UDS thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31 10 8:09 am    Post subject: SVonhof's official UDS thread Reply with quote

I am going to take everything about my UDS and stick it into one thread since I have it in the introduction section right now.

10/12/2010
The basket:

Shown in the donor Weber for size:

The hooks for getting the basket out:

Heat diffuser so I can have 3 racks spaced 4" apart:

For size comparison on the Weber:

The drum nice and clean:

Test fitting the lid with a steel ring screwed into the inside of the drum to get a smaller lip:

How I did it:

The result:

The finished (mostly) product:

After the first use, it's all black inside:

I need something to catch the ash:

What is left of the charcoal and wood after 5 hours running mostly around 300�:

I have learned that I want to change a few things and have already started on some.
1) shorten the screws at one location of each level for the grates to make it easier to get them in and out with meat on them (done)
2) get thermometers that will show the temps better (on order)
3) replace the magnets as they started to melt and fall apart (in process)
4) get an ash-tray attached to the coal basket (coming soon)

10/13/2010
Here is my solution to the magnets:

The end of this (right hand side) is almost the perfect radius to match the barrel, so I used it and a rubber mallet to form the metal to the right shape:

The $3 pizza pan attached:

The new aluminum handles for my hooks installed:

The Home Depot Smoker cover

10/26/2010
Here are the latest pictures of my UDS:
I got two of these for $21 from Ebay:

My idea on mounting them to the drum:

Cut it in half:

Drill it out a little:

Add a washer on the outside to take up some of the space:

The thermometers slip in and out as needed:

And the 5/8" tape gasket I put on the Weber lid which helped create a better seal with the top of the drum:

11/5/2010
FYI, here is a pic of my charcoal basket loaded up:

And my diffuser (for when I feel I need it):

My charcoal basket is only 12" x 12" x 6" tall, but I was able to get 10 hours of cook time on it last weekend at about 80% full and still had enough coals to go probably another hour or two. That can give people and indication on how large a charcoal basket you may need depending on what you are going to be cooking or how long.

12/30/2010
After doing my Christmas day ham smoke where it started to rain toward the end of the smoke and since the UDS was hot, I had to leave it there, uncovered in the rain as I left to go to my parents house.

For most, this wouldn't be a problem, but since I added a steel ring on the inside of the drum to fit the Weber lid better, I had a channel where the water would come over the edge of the lid and sit until it made it's way through the small gap around that ring and down inside the UDS, where it sat until I could get it cleaned out the next day.
Here is what the inside walls look like because of the water:

The simple solution which I should have done when I first finished the UDS was to take some of the fire gasket caulking and add it to that seam, so I did that:

I also added two handles I had sitting around, to make it easier to pick up and move the UDS:

And last, I decided that my fire basket was just too small, so I picked up another sheet of the expanded metal I originally used and extended it so it's now about 10" tall instead of just 6":

I should now be able to let my UDS go during rain if needed and for a longer period of time as I found that I ran out of fuel when doing the ham since I was using the diffuser (takes more heat to get the whole pit up to temp) and because of the cold weather which sucks the heat out of it.

Last edited by SVonhof on Fri Sep 23 11 9:13 am; edited 4 times in total
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31 10 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action shots:
First big smoke session:

Prepping for an evening smoke:

The Conga line:

Bone-in pork loin:

Christmas ham:

And the rain that came:

More to come!
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31 10 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man thats a nice UDS and that grub looks awesome
edjordan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31 10 10:49 am    Post subject: That UDS is awesome! Reply with quote

Man I want to make one of those sooo freaking bad!!
muidaq

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31 10 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What parts are used for the thermometer mounts?
Rayzer
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31 10 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
Weber Kettle
Liar #34. Honest!
Tony
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31 10 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job SVonhof!

Love the pics and Kudos on your mods of those compression fittings for mounting the thermometers! Wink

Keep up the Good Work! Cool

What else 'Ya got comin' down the Pike?

Best Regards,

Tony Very Happy
RollinontheRvr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01 11 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. You have a cool UDS there and those pic's have got me running to kitchen for something to eat. Thanks!!! Very Happy

Four years active duty Infantry - '81 -'85

My Local Dive Shop: Oregon City Scuba
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01 11 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I am going to have some leftover Christmas ham with some eggs for breakfast (I think we have eggs). I love the smell of smoke in the morning!

Thanks for all the comments guys, I wouldn't have made it without the help and inspiration from all on here!

muidaq, as Tony says, I used a brass compression union (used on either copper or poly tubing for water or air) cut in half. Works fine.

Tony, what else I have coming down the pike? I was thinking of making a MUDS (mini using a Smokey Joe) for the small smokes for just my wife and I.

edjordan, go for it and make one! It's not hard to do and you can tell everyone you made it and call them over to try the food once you get a few cooks under your belt and understand the smoker.
BigMikeIA
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02 11 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you cooked for that 10 hours, how much messing with intakes did you have to do? I find that over time, I need to open my vents more and more just to maintain temp in my UDS. I can start with 1 hole 2/3 open and keep 260 for a couple hours, then it starts to dwindle, and I have to open more and more vents. I'm wondering if that's standard for a UDS, or if I need to make some sort of adjustments to my build. Thanks!
Liar #44

UDS
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02 11 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, since that was one of my first smokes with it, I was constantly adjusting the vents. I have learned now that if I set it and leave it, assuming calm conditions (wind and rain changes everything), it can go for quite a long time without adjustment and stay within a 20 window.

As the coals start to dwindle down, since they are spread out more, I do have to open the vents, but that's literally at the end of what the basket has available to burn, so at that point, I need to reload or move the food off.

With my extended basket, I don't expect to have to ever do a reload unless I am looking at a really long smoke or a 10+ hour smoke where it's cold and windy.
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21 11 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I decided the sliding vents had to go. When trying to shut down the UDS, it would take longer than it should since air was still leaking into the drum because of those vents. Also, they were getting harder to adjust as there was some surface rust on the drum in and around the sliding vents.

So yesterday I got out the step drill bit and enlarged the holes so I could put 3/4" x close black nipples into the drum. I did what most others are doing and used conduit lock nuts to hold it in place and have 3 caps and a ball valve. Don't know when I will be using it next, but I also put an extra coat of paint on the lower section as that's the area that was showing rust on it. Figured since I was going to paint the nipples, locknuts and caps anyway, I would get the rest at the same time.
BriGreentea
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 11 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thank you for sharing the many pics and very detailed work. I love the intakes, that's cool. Where did you get that metal for your diffuser and what is that tool you used to cut it?

I also used a metal strip inside my drum for my kettle like you did. I then found if you can just grind the outside lip it will eventually fit.

I still want to do this and think it would prevent leaks on my lid and would actually fit. I need to find an inexpensive tool to do this. All I have is an electric drill and don't think a grinder adapter would work or not. I have one but it's worn out and it doesn't cost much do buy a new one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 11 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS! as with the policy that was introduced mid January 2011 I nuked the bigger pictures.

I still work here!
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 11 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS! as with the policy that was introduced mid January 2011 I nuked the bigger pictures.

Yes, I know that, but the posts that had the images nuked were made before that policy was in effect. I didn't go back and re size the images before doing an update to the thread.
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 11 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BriGreentea wrote:
Wow. Thank you for sharing the many pics and very detailed work. I love the intakes, that's cool. Where did you get that metal for your diffuser and what is that tool you used to cut it?

I also used a metal strip inside my drum for my kettle like you did. I then found if you can just grind the outside lip it will eventually fit.

I still want to do this and think it would prevent leaks on my lid and would actually fit. I need to find an inexpensive tool to do this. All I have is an electric drill and don't think a grinder adapter would work or not. I have one but it's worn out and it doesn't cost much do buy a new one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The diffuser metal came from a sheet-metal shop near me. I just had him sheer off a piece that would work. I then used an angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel. Since the wheels like to go straight, you have to cut through the metal in straight segments that angle from one to the next to get a circle. I have since removed some of the material so I get better air flow around it while still blocking most of the radiant heat from the coal basket.

I got my angle grinder on sale at Harbor Freight for something like $20 and a pack of wheels was something like $8. There is a Harbor Freight at:
5268 TRAIL LAKE DRIVE
FT. WORTH, TX 76133

Don't attempt to cut or grind anything more than small stuff with a drill, it just won't do a good job.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 11 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVonhof wrote:
SoEzzy wrote:

Yes, I know that, but the posts that had the images nuked were made before that policy was in effect. I didn't go back and re size the images before doing an update to the thread.

No but if you look at any thread after that date, or from before that date that has been bumped back to the top, and that breaks the format of the site, I have nuked them.

And if you want to fight it that's fine, I'll stop turning them into links and I will delete them completely, so the choice is yours, leave them as links or resize them, it's your choice!

I still work here!
SVonhof
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 11 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
SVonhof wrote:
SoEzzy wrote:

No but if you look at any thread after that date, or from before that date that has been bumped back to the top, and that breaks the format of the site, I have nuked them.

And if you want to fight it that's fine, I'll stop turning them into links and I will delete them completely, so the choice is yours, leave them as links or resize them, it's your choice!

I am not fighting it, I have gone through Photobucket and re-sized every image in the folder I use for this site.

It sucks that the forum software won't just cut the images off after they reach the chosen width limit (I am on another form that does that), it must be a boring job to tend to all the threads like you do.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 11 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is!

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: