FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No hanging meat allowed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Jan 08 2011    Post subject: No hanging meat allowed Reply with quote

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-hanging-meat-south-city-ducks-010511,0,1783475.story

How exactly does this cure the meat and not go rancid?

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
sixfofalcon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jan 08 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your definition of "rancid". Laughing

I read about this somewhere--I think it was in Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Meat Book. From memory, here's my take:

In many parts of the world (rural areas of England & France, for example) it is common practice for game birds (pheasant, grouse, etc.) to be hung up to age for weeks at a time, even before evisceration or removing the feathers. Provided that temperatures don't get too warm, the meat itself does not spoil to the point of being inedible or dangerous, but there is a certain amount of microbial activity going on in the guts, and it makes the meat taste more... well, "gamey". This practice is actually the origin of the term "well hung", meaning that the meat has a pronouced gamey flavor because it was hung up for a considerable time before being processed and cooked.

I think it's safe to say that most people in the US find "gamey" to be an "off" flavor and not entirely desirable, but according to some purists, hanging game is the only proper way to prepare it for consumption.
redray
BBQ Fan

I wonder how long this will hang before they eat it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Caaf5VmGTkg
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

It's much like aging beef--they used to age beef by hanging it too. There's quite a bit of microbial activity going on in the muscles, which boosts some flavors and improves tenderness even as it removes moisture. There certainly is some loss to spoilage on the outside and a great deal of lost weight (which commands the higher price as a result), but the interior meat is of superior flavor and increased tenderness.

28 days is the most common target of professional aging standards that I have observed (although I am sure someone will take issue with that number). I've never gotten past about 17 days in my fridge (I'm askeered of ruining a $75 piece of meat and by 17 days I feel like I'm playing chicken with the spoilage gods), but I've noticed a tremendous difference in flavor and tenderness.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

BigOrson wrote:
I feel like I'm playing chicken with the spoilage gods), but I've noticed a tremendous difference in flavor and tenderness.

Aging in a controlled environment is one thing and I typically let my deer hang for a week if the temps allow. Most beef is aged 2 to 3 weeks in a cooler prior to processing (again controlled enviro).

But out in the sun with critters Shocked

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

I remember watching a show on PBS years ago. Someone was out filming a hunting party in South America. By time they got back to the village with the monkeys they had killed, the flesh was starting to decay by our standards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: