FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally Getting Started On A Build..........X2~FINISHED 6/11
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 10 12:57 pm    Post subject: Finally Getting Started On A Build..........X2~FINISHED 6/11 Reply with quote

A good friend has been in the market for a backyard cooker and has been pricing them for a while. I told him there is no point in buying one when we can build a much nicer and cheaper one ourselves. Then I figure, I might as well have me one too!

This build is behind schedule just as everything else in my life. About the time that my job and trailer building slowed down enough where I could get started on the build, a nice case of pneumonia hit and that wiped me out for 6 good weeks. But, finally think Im alive and well and ready to get to building. This will probably be a slower build, work and trailers have picked back up, so playtime projects are harder to make time for right now, but wanted to show where Im at so far.

I want to say thanks to k.a.m. and Wreckless for their input and insight on the build. I am planning on building 2 smokers, both with dual stacks and tuning plates. I didnt have much knowledge on this way to build and these guys helped me alot with thoughts and ideas. Very much appreciated!

First, the equiptment that will be used, and lined top to bottom in the order being used Very Happy

Got a sweet deal on a 10ft piece of 20" pipe at the steel yard. They had miscut it and knocked $8 bucks a foot off of the price. Used an old furniture dolly that a friend gave me and turned it wheels up. Worked perfect to turn the pipe while cutting it.

Pipe cut and ready to be capped. The cooking chambers are 42" and the firebox is 18". Should make for a nice sized smoker.

My buddy has never touched a plasma cutter or a welder in his life, so I figured what a better time to learn. He jumped right in with both feet and actually did a nice job on cutting and welding. 1/4" steel is a nice material to learn how to weld on, very forgiving.

Well this is where Im at so far. Fire boxes and chambers are welded up and this chamber is hanging. Will get legs on it and the opening for the fire box cut and get it mounted asap. Hope to take advantage of a little down time between Christmas and New Years and make some good progress.

Last edited by TrailerBuilder on Sun Jun 12 11 1:39 am; edited 12 times in total
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 10 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i'm pullin up a front row seat!!!!!!
cody
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 10 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killswitch505 wrote:
ok i'm pullin up a front row seat!!!!!!

+1
Cranky Buzzard
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 10 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the BudL, ThermalD, Miller combination may be a good one!

I'd stress heavy on the top unit for the design factor, use the middle unit for changes that the bottom unit made permanant, and then sew it all up with the bottom unit once the top unit ran out of "juice"! Laughing

I too will be watching this build closely!

Is that pipe 3/8 wall or is it just the angle of the pic?

Charlie
BadgerHunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 10 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this design will be perfect. The design and composition of the tool stack and the coordinated colors is just perfect. Gotta love some blue and white.

I'm wondering how that piece of pipe got moved into the garage from the delivery truck cuz I'm thinking you didn't toss that in the back of the pickup with a red bandanna taped on Smile

I'm pulling up a front row stool to watch too.

Larry
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 10 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder, Welcome to the world of back yard pit building.Very Happy I look forward to watching these two builds come to life no doubt about it. Your off to a fantastic start, that is some nice cuts on your pipe. I will be watching for more updates and pics. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
ricksrealpitbbq

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 10 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these build threads. It gives me hope for my project Laughing

Proud member KCBS
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24 10 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking start and I love your out of the box thinking on a pipe roller....
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25 10 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killswitch and Cody, thanks for taking a seat and watching the build. Hopefully it wont be a bust and all will turn out good. I have fabricated alot of things but never a smoker, so if you have thoughts or ideas, please let me hear them, all input is greatly appreciated!

Charlie, the pipe is 1/4" wall, good heavy duty pipe and should hold up nicely. With k.a.m.'s reccomendation, I went with 1/4" end plates as well. Seems like we think alot alike on the "juice" being a big part of the build. More times than not though, the juice has caused extra work for the plasma cutter.

BadgerHunter, the pipe was loaded on my car hauler and brought home. Hauler has a metal floor on it so all I did was use a come-a-long and cranked it off the trailer and down the ramp. It went rather smoothly to my surprise, I was worried about it just taking off and going where ever it wanted since it was so heavy, but all went well and it landed right in place.

k.a.m. as always, thanks for your input. You have some awesome builds so dont be surprised if you see a thing or two that looks familiar. Very Happy

Would like to see some pics of your project going on ricksrealpitbbq.

Thanks jess, I have 2 of those furniture dollies and they have logged more time in the garage moving metal projects that they have moving any furniture at all.
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25 10 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work so far man! I am looking forward to following your build x2!

I am glad to see you have a lift because if not, holy cow I bet they is a heavy beast! I always have to used muscle to move my stuff around, but dont need a gym membership anymore!!!!

Those should end up being some stellar cookers!
cody
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25 10 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you get that in the shop?
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25 10 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering when this would show up. Sorry to hear about the setbacks but it looks as if everything is ready to rock now. Cool You do realize you have set the bar pretty high so far with the toys and all, eh? Good stuff and well prepped. Wink Make some room guys por favor, I want a seat too.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25 10 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ggarner, Im hoping to get some good progress in the coming days but we will see for sure. I dont think I could have pulled this one off without the hoist. I bought the hoist some 20 years ago and used it a couple times for some motor work and it has set down in the corner of my dads garage since then. We were in the garage having a drink while back and I seen it and brought it out of retirement. I forgot I even had it there!

Cody, my trailer that I hauled the pipe on has a steel floor and the pipe actually slid pretty easy with a come-a-long attached. I was worried about getting it off the trailer for sure, my sales receipt says the pipe weighed 636 punds!

Thanks Wreckless! Its been a rough road since we visited but progress is hopefully going to be made now. Was wanting to put the tools to work today but it was much more tempting to curl up with the kids and watch movies and nap on this Christmas Eve. Will get moving again soon!
erniesshop
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25 10 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey....You Guy's Move Over !!!!!
I Brought some Popcorn to watch this Show !!!
Great Start!
cody
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25 10 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erniesshop wrote:
Hey....You Guy's Move Over !!!!!
I Brought some Popcorn to watch this Show !!!
Great Start!

i got pizza and beer
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27 10 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Christmas has passed and the kids had wore themselves out with all the new toys and gadgets, so figured while one was napping I would get a little bit done on the build today while I could.

Had my oldest helping me out some today. Figured Id give him a lesson in math and have him figure out the square inches.

He did a great job, but was just too much for him and he had to get back inside and get back on the wii while little brother was sleeping!

Opening cut in the chamber.

Firebox lined up and welded in place on the chamber.

Welds didnt look too bad.

Used the band saw to cut the legs.

As it sat this evening when I went in for the day. I took the smoker off of the saw horses and sat it on the ground and noticed that the legs looked like they were out of level by a mile. Was hoping just an optical illusion but found out I had a "brain fart" when cutting the front legs and made them an inch longer than the back legs. Not a major deal at all as I plan to fab some steel wheels for the firebox end and will have to rework the length of the legs when I get the wheels done. I forgot to get the steel rolled for wheels before I left for Christmas break and didnt want to wait around for that, so I figured Id move forward and fine tune the leg lengths when I get the wheels fabricated.

This is where it sits today, should have a little bit of time to get the door in the chamber and maybe the firebox cut out tomorrow. Figured I would get this one to that point and then bring the second cooker up to speed as well.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27 10 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder wrote:
[img]
As it sat this evening when I went in for the day. I took the smoker off of the saw horses and sat it on the ground and noticed that the legs looked like they were out of level by a mile. Was hoping just an optical illusion but found out I had a "brain fart" when cutting the front legs and made them an inch longer than the back legs.

"....and thats what I was trying to tell you dad, according to my calculations,the gosh darn legs are TOOO long, but would you listen? Nooo.." Laughing

k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27 10 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
TrailerBuilder wrote:
[img]
As it sat this evening when I went in for the day. I took the smoker off of the saw horses and sat it on the ground and noticed that the legs looked like they were out of level by a mile. Was hoping just an optical illusion but found out I had a "brain fart" when cutting the front legs and made them an inch longer than the back legs.

"....and thats what I was trying to tell you dad, according to my calculations,the gosh darn legs are TOOO long, but would you listen? Nooo.." Laughing

That is funny. Laughing
TrailerBuilder, your cooker is looking fantastic. Very Happy Those strange markings on the end look familiar, I have been there before. Smile Keep up the fine work. I will be watching for more updates and pics. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27 10 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is too funny Wreckless, but you dont know how true it is........usually when he helps me measure and cut off of the band saw, the lengths are right on, maybe I should have went and played the wii and let him make the cuts! Laughing

As always, thanks k.a.m. Hope to get a little more done today.
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28 10 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder great looking build so far. Smile
18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: