FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need good beef jerky recipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outerlimitsbbq

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12 10 6:31 am    Post subject: need good beef jerky recipes Reply with quote

does any one have a really good beef jerky recipe that they would share. i have made beef jerky before but havent found that one that stands out yet. i smoke all my beef jerky thanks in advance
zxcvbob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: need good beef jerky recipes Reply with quote

outerlimitsbbq wrote:
does any one have a really good beef jerky recipe that they would share. i have made beef jerky before but havent found that one that stands out yet. i smoke all my beef jerky thanks in advance

Howdy. I suspect you might have gotten more replies in the Cured Meat section, but what do I know.

I usually make beef jerky on a dehydrator because I'm lazy and it turns out good. The one or two times I made it in a smoker (a warm smoker, not hot) it was outstanding. I won a blue ribbon at the county fair a few years ago with this, and it wasn't even smoked:

Bob's Beef Jerky
Take lean beef (round steak or rump roast works best) and slice it into thin strips, maybe 1/4" thick. Trim away any fat or gristle. Put the meat in a gallon ziplock freezer bag or a Tupperware bowl with a lid. To each pound of meat strips, add 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp of fresh-ground black pepper. (The "fresh ground" is important) Mix it into the meat by hand and put it in the fridge overnight for the salt to start doing its magic. Next day, you can start drying it. That's it. Don't let it get too hot; you want to dry it, not cook it.

If you want to make it hotter, add some cayenne pepper to the salt-pepper-sugar mixture. If that's just too simple, add a *little* allspice or nutmeg. I personally think most jerky recipes have way more ingredients than they need. HTH Smile
supdog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 11 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used any of these recipes but, you might find one you like.

http://www.justjerkyrecipes.com/index.html
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22 11 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted: Sat Dec 11 10 5:31 pm

He probably gave up on a reply. Wink
FWIW, I just buy mine. Shocked

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
SteevieG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05 12 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supdog wrote:
I have never used any of these recipes but, you might find one you like.

http://www.justjerkyrecipes.com/index.html

That's a lot of jerky recipes. Thanks.
Zmokin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10 12 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to make my jerky slicing up London Broil, and then marinating it in a variety of mixtures, then drying it with a dehydrator. Then I got jerky gun for making jerky from gound beef. So now I trim the fat off the london broil, grind it up coarse, then mix salt, a little sodium nitrate, black pepper, garlic & onion powder in a little water and then mix this into the meat. run it back through the grinder on a finer grind, then using the jerky gun, press it into strips into the dehydrator. the ground meat makes it a lot easier to chew, and I don't have to wait for the marinade to do it's stuff. I can add a little liquid smoke if I want, or red pepper if I want it spicier, or I can use a thick teriyaki sauce to make a teriyaki jerky. Smoked jerky sounds good, but I'm not sure how to get my smoker to run down at 110 to 120 degrees so as not to cook the meat.
14" Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Large Big Green Egg w/Sole' Gourmet Table
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: