FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Southern-Style Skillet Corn Bread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22 10 4:49 pm    Post subject: Southern-Style Skillet Corn Bread Reply with quote

Southern-Style Skillet Corn Bread
from Cook's Country

Dry-toasting the cornmeal before mixing the batter maximizes the corn flavor in this savory bread.

Serves 12.

While any 10-inch oven-safe skillet will work here, our first choice (for both tradition and function) is a cast-iron skillet. Avoid coarsely ground cornmeal, as it will make the corn bread gritty.

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into pieces
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs

Instructions
#1. Adjust oven racks to lower-middle and middle positions and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat 10-inch ovensafe skillet on middle rack for 10 minutes. Bake cornmeal on rimmed baking sheet set on lower-middle rack until fragrant and color begins to deepen, about 5 minutes. Transfer hot cornmeal to large bowl and whisk in buttermilk; set aside.

#2. Add oil to hot skillet and continue to bake until oil is just smoking, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from oven and add butter, carefully swirling pan until butter is melted. Pour all but 1 tablespoon oil mixture into cornmeal mixture, leaving remaining fat in pan. Whisk baking powder, baking soda, salt, and eggs into cornmeal mixture.

#3. Pour cornmeal mixture into hot skillet and bake until top begins to crack and sides are golden brown, 12 to 16 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack. Serve.
Technique

Secrets to Southern-Style Corn Bread Follow these steps to ensure bold corn flavor and the perfect texture, inside and out.

I was surprised that this recipe didn't have sugar in it. Now I wish I had added some. Next time! But, butter and honey work wonders.
It really came out moist and had a wonderful corn flavor to it. I have never toasted cornmeal before, so I guess that really helps.
Check out the smoke ring, no, not really that was butter that came to the top during baking. Wink

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22 10 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put sugar in it, please don't call it southern style corn bread. It's funny, we love sugar but keep it out of our cornbread (at least alot of it). Most sweet cornbread you taste is some Yankee version. Sort of like cooking collards with vinegar in it........that ain't southern either.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23 10 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right on the sugar. I don't like it real sweet either. I think just a hint of sugar would help it.
Since it is just me eating it with beans or chili, most of it goes into a glass with milk anyway. Good Stuff.

Jarhead's World Blog
Rocko-la
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24 10 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted that poll on a camping forum that I go to. How do you like your cornbread, sweet or not?

The answers were all over the place, but it came down to the Southerners not like it sweet whereas everybody else did. I personally like just a touch of sweetness, but not super sweet. Places like Boston Market make their cornbread so sweet, I'd be more inclinde to call it a corn muffin.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25 10 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocko-la, I don't like Cornmeal Cake either. Like you say, just a touch of sugar.

Jarhead's World Blog
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26 10 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bah!" says the New Englander. Very Happy

My wife and I were in Black-Eyed Saly's in Hartford, CT recently. Someone at the next table said, "this is real Southern cornbread."

I'm thinking, "not even close. It's yellow cornmeal and a lot of sugar."

From a Daytona 500 party in 2009 ...

From a Champions Tour golf tournamnet intern party in 2008.

Those are a scallion cheddar scones recipe from kingarthurflour.com. Great bread with a steak. It's a garlic herb cheese spread with it.
PaulOinMA
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26 10 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting twist on cormbread, if you make a northern cornbread: Use maple syrup instead of sugar.

I tried it a couple of years ago, and it was great.

I made it, had it out on the island in the kitchen, and my wife came home from work. She saw it and thought, "Paul burned the cornbread. But, it doesn't look burned. Just darker. He burned the cornbread. No, he didn't. WHAT DID HE DO TO THE CORNBREAD?"

You substiture maple syrup for the sugar, reduce the other liquids a little, and reduce the temperature for baking.

Tips for baking with maple syrup are in here:

http://www.hopevalleysugarhouse.com/

and other web sites.
12TH AV SMOKERS
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28 10 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pit Boss wrote:
If you put sugar in it, please don't call it southern style corn bread. It's funny, we love sugar but keep it out of our cornbread (at least alot of it). Most sweet cornbread you taste is some Yankee version. Sort of like cooking collards with vinegar in it........that ain't southern either.

Haha....but Jarhead IS a Yankee....
(1) UDS - Ugly Drum smoker
SMS - Vertical - wood / gasser

http://www.youngbergindustries.com/
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28 10 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12TH AV SMOKERS wrote:
Pit Boss wrote:

LMAO, I'm on the line. Wink

Jarhead's World Blog
12TH AV SMOKERS
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28 10 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
12TH AV SMOKERS wrote:
Pit Boss wrote:

LMAO, I'm on the line. Wink

Ok.. on the line but you got Yankee roots... Laughing
(1) UDS - Ugly Drum smoker
SMS - Vertical - wood / gasser

http://www.youngbergindustries.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Bread Baking All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: