FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAJUN Smoked Meatloaf!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smo-Ken
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02 06 1:19 am    Post subject: CAJUN Smoked Meatloaf!!! Reply with quote

This recipe comes to you from Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen cookbook. I haven't made this for years, but after reading other meatloaf posts I had to break this out. This was my first attempt at a BBQ/Smoked meatloaf, and only my third burn on my Bar-B-Chef Smoker. I did end up finishing it in our kitchen oven due to very high winds (40mph+ up on our hill).

Here's a picture of the whole loaf:

And here's a (slightly out of focus) slice where you can see the smoke ring:

Here's the recipe as printed in the book:

Seasoning Mix
2 Whole Bay Leaves
1T. Salt
1t. Ground Cayenne Pepper
1t. Ground Black Pepper
1/2t Ground White Pepper
1/2t Ground Cumin
1/2t Ground Nutmeg
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

4T Unsalted Butter
3/4C Finely Chopped Onions
1/2C Finely Chopped Celery
1/2C Finely Chopped Green Bell Pepper
1/4C Finely Chopped Green Onion
2t Minced Garlic
1T Tabasco Sauce
1T Worcestershire Sauce
1/2C Evaporated Mik
1/2C Catsup
1-1/2Lb Ground Beef
1/2Lb Ground Pork
2 Eggs, Lightly Beaten
1C Very Fine Dry Bread Crumbs
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Melt the butter in a 1-qt saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, green onions, Tobasco, Worcestershire and seasoning mix. Saute until mixture starts sticking excessively, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well. Stir in the milk and catsup and continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Place the ground beef and pork into a large bowl. Add the eggs, the cooked vegetable mixture - removing the Bay Leaves - and the bread crumbs. Mix by hand until thoroughly combined.

The book tells you to shape the mixture into a loaf that is about 1-1/2 inches high, 6 inches wide and 12 inches long on an ungreased pan, bake @ 350 for 25 minutes, then crank it up to 400 and cook until done, about another 35 minutes.

Here's where I made changes:

I did not add the Bell Pepper (didn't have one on-hand), but I was thinking it might be interesting to first fire-roast then peel one for more of a rustic, smokey flavor. Since I did not have unsalted butter, I cut down the amount of salt in the seasoning mix by 1/2. Instead of hand-shaping the loaf on a pan, I lined a regular loaf pan with cellophane and packed the meat mixture in tightly. When my smoker was ready, I simply inverted the loaf pan quickly over the rack and removed the pan, then peeled off the plastic wrap. I cranked up the smoker to about 300* and used a combination of Oak, Cherry and Hickory to smoke it.

After an hour on the smoker I ended up bringing it inside to finish because of the high winds (it was blowing about 40+ mph!) so it was in the oven at 400 for about 20 minutes until it reached 170 on my Maverick probe. Let it rest for 10 minutes then sliced it up. Needless to say it was well received by the family!

Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker
BBQ Pro Bullet
22" Weber kettles (Red & Blue)
'05 Skeeter TZX190/175 Yammi HPDI

Last edited by Smo-Ken on Thu Oct 05 06 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
weldonBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04 06 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely Done!!!

Interesting that it has evaporated milk in it.....hmmm. I might have to whip this one up and see how it compares.

Thanks for posting your recipe.

Weldon
Smo-Ken
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05 06 5:51 am    Post subject: Make TWO if you try this... Reply with quote

I keep forgetting to make an extra. I've made this only two times and have yet to have any leftovers for a "sammich"!
Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker
BBQ Pro Bullet
22" Weber kettles (Red & Blue)
'05 Skeeter TZX190/175 Yammi HPDI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: