FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New UDS questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodburner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11 15 2:48 am    Post subject: New UDS questions Reply with quote

So I built myself a UDS and so far have mixed results. Has three one inch opening, one ball valve and two caps. Holds temp really well once it settles in. Seems to like the 250 to 275 area which is fine with me. 12x12x12 fire basket 3 inche's up off floor. The main problem is not getting enough smoke. Charcoal is mixed in basket with hickory and cherry chunks, one lit chimney and then some more chunks on top. Seems like once the chunks on top burn up the smoke goes away. First cook was ok, small pork roast and stuffed meatballs. Not the smoke flavor I like. Added more wood and less charcoal this time and still seems the same. 4 8lb pork butts on right now since about 7:30 this morning. Waiting to see results, but still not much smoke. any tips on fire building or amount of wood to charcoal? Thanks
Offset smoker in the works
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11 15 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many chunks and how big, Rodburner?

Hybrid Cooker
Rodburner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11 15 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't count them. I'd say about 15 to 20 chunks as big as one of those half cans of pop that my kids drink. About 2/3 of a 15 pound sack of charcoal including the lit portion.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11 15 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lot of wood chunks for one burn.
First off you will never get the all wood flavor of a stick burner in the UDS because the fuel source is either charcoal or lump burning slow. It is not like a coal base in an offset.
If you have not tried lump try it the smoke will be a bit cleaner than charcoal.
If you do not use a diffuser of some sort try one it will change the flavor of the meat because the juices are not hitting the coals and burning off.
Adding too much wood will result in the cooker not being able to get rid of it and causing some bad smoke.

Hybrid Cooker
Rodburner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11 15 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that's what I was wondering. I have a double barrel smoker that I use straight wood in. I have a diffuser sort of- the meat on the bottom rack is in a pan. First time without one the meat on the bottom rack got burned and I hav had time to build one yet. I'll keep on playing with it, that's half the fun anyway!
Rodburner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12 15 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update- It went way better than I thought it was . Meat turned out great good flavor and nice smoke ring. Went almost 11 hrs on a load of fuel which I thought was really good. Thanks to kam for the advice. I'll try to figure out the picture deal and get some up soon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: