FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electric Smokers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve.steiner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05 15 8:27 am    Post subject: Electric Smokers Reply with quote

Hi - I've used a New Braunfels offset smoker for a while now. I am interested in getting an electric smoker for the days when I am getting from smoking to eating faster (especially when the days get shorter in northern New England). I have heard a lot of very variable reviews of Masterbuilt smokers - some great and some lousy. I am interested in the digital smoker and attracted more to the larger one because it has wheels (not offered on the smaller model). I would appreciate some info if anyone has experience with this model. Thanks - Steve
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05 15 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring Steve, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks. Smile
While I do not own one several folks here on the ring have the Masterbuilt smokers and love them. With any product you will get good and bad reviews. I just read between the lines on the bad ones and try to figure out if it was the product causing the problem or operator error.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Steve.steiner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05 15 11:06 pm    Post subject: Masterbuilt Smokers Reply with quote

Hi K.A.M.
Thanks for your prompt reply and for the sound advice. I think you are right about how often someones dissatisfaction with a product is operator error rather than equipment failure. The wife and kids are getting me a gift and I suggested the Masterbuilt smoker.
It's great to be part of the smoke ring community - finally a good use for electronic media (hahahahaha). I see you are from southeast Texas - sort of "Mecca" for smoking. I understand that in TX beef is king and brisket is what it is all about. I have smoked Boston butt, pork ribs and chicken but have yet to try a brisket..... but it is on my list. Again thanks - Steve
Camper Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05 15 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was looking to supplement my stick burner with an electric smoker. After smoking a brisket overnight, and having to add more wood, every couple of hours, I decided that I need my sleep more. Did a lot of looking and wanted something that was foolproof and did not have any negative reports. After a lot of searching decided on the Cookshack brand. If you check out their website, all are completely satisfied. Should any problems occur, the factory stands behind every unit 100%. Since it is just the two of us I purchased a Smokette 50. I have had it for about 6 months and have done a few briskets, pulled pork butts, ribs of all types, even cold smoked some cheese with the Amazen smoker addition, and it has been flawless in operation and delivering a terrific product. More costly than a Masterbuilt, but perfect in every respect. I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. As someone said many years ago, "No one ever got fired for buying IBM." I would have to add the same for a Cookshack. Do yourself a favor and check them out before buying any electric smoker.
LEM #5 Meat Grinder
LEM 5# Vertical Sausage Stuffer
Cookshack Model SM025 Electric Smoker
Rosco
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06 15 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first smoker was an electric,yes they DID have electricity back then....bought it because it was available and I didn't know much in those days. That said, it was a great unit to learn on, not idiot proof, but pretty close. The convienence is such that I would consider another one, I like my sleep too. Wound up using it so much I had to replace the bottom with some stainless steel after it wore out. I must be mellowing, cause I'm actually considering gas grills...just considering!
missionsusmc
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06 15 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too looked into Masterbuilt. Bass Pro swears by them. They mainly use chips in a pan above a glorified electric oven element. You can get the "cold smoking" attachment for them as well which basically burns the chips, and then sends the smoke into the chamber. Great for fresh hams, sausage, cheeses, etc. I've heard they leak, even though they have a gasket around the door. The digital one looks okay. Easier to know what the temp is and such. I don't know what your budget is like, nor is it my business, however, if you could swing it, you might want to look into a pellet unit or an FEC by Cookshack (also uses pellets). While I know pellets don't deliver as much flavor as real wood, they are more "set it and forget it" than the Masterbuilt would be. You would still have to load more chips for more smoke in the Masterbuilt. In the pellet units, you load up your hopper, set your temp, load your meat, and you're done. I'm sure you can use pellets in the Masterbuilt as well, but there's no hopper or auger to keep feeding it. I know a comp team around here that uses 2 FEC 100's and he has a 500 as well. If you go with a pellet unit, be sure to get "food-grade" pellets. Don't use the wood stove pellets "fuel pellets" sold at Tractor Supply, or your local feed store. There are several pellet distributors and manufacturers listed here on the Ring. I know BBQr's Delight sells pretty decent stuff. (I'm not employed by them, nor am I supporting them over someone else.) I met them once at a competition. They do put out some pretty tasty food, though.

Sorry for the long post. I know I would hate myself if I got something, and it didn't work right, or I had to replace it within a year or two. I'm not saying Masterbuilt will do that, but just look at other options before you make a commitment.

Trey

Mary had a little lamb, a little brisket, a little ribs, and boy she was full!!!
plbass
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07 15 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a friend that has an electric smoker and likes it and he has an cheapo off-set and likes that also. Cooks on both and enjoys them both. I don't think you could go wrong with an electric smoker.
MountainMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15 15 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do SERIOUS research you will end up with a Cookshack.

There are lots of cheaper alternatives but remember you get what you pay for!

You will be happy with, the smoked product you make in it, an American made product, the support family and the best customer service around today.

End of discussion.
Rayzer
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 15 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker and really like it. Though I do not have the model you are inquiring about.

I've had it for years, and it just keeps on smoking. Great in the colder months in MA. Set it and forget it. Just add the chips as needed to get the smoke flavor you want. And their customer service is great, should you ever need to contact them.

No complaints here.
Weber Kettle
Liar #34. Honest!
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 15 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an MES40......That's the stainless model with window in the door. I have had it for about 2 years. I got it to do dedicated sausage smoking, and it has been a good unit. I have not tried doing a butt or brisket in it as I have a big offset and a UDS. What I will tell you, is that the chips only last about a 1/2 hour or so, and what I have found to be a better alternative is to buy the Amaz'n pellet smoker and just fire that up on the bottom rack and dial in the temperature you want on the unit. I have found that smoking in the winter even, the unit gets plenty hot enough to smoke. Mine runs about 50-75 degrees hotter than the setting, so you will have to make sure you monitor it to know where you are at.

I have nothing but good things to say about it........

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16 15 6:42 am    Post subject: CookShack Reply with quote

I also have a CookShack. It is an Amerique and I love it. I am like others also. I have multiple cookers and smokers. The Amerique is ...... SET IT and FORGET IT. It is a little pricey, but it works for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: