FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homemade Elect. Smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03 08 8:15 am    Post subject: Homemade Elect. Smoker Reply with quote

I have been wanting to make up a smoker for jerky and sausage. Last summer I picked up a aluminum cabinet, they are used in hospitals to wheel the meal trays to patients. Its about 2' x2' x 5' tall with aluminum frame and sheeting. I've been thinking elect. is best for drying and smoking jerky. A buddy of mine picked up a old kitchen stove for me last thurs. Istripped it out and mounted the oven element in the bottom. I used the temp and probe and mounted them. Last nite we plugged it into my welder outlet to see how it would heat up. It seems to work good. With the thermostat set on warm or the lowest setting, the temp inside was about 150. I had it at 240 and climbing slowly on high. Now that I know this thing is going to work, I'm going to insulate the outside and put a outer skin on it. I haven't heard any one doing this on this site. I will probably only use it for jerky, sauage, fish, cheese, elec. I have a stick burner now and am also starting a stmps clone. I am going to take picks of both. Have any questions or advice?
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03 08 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to be carful with direct heat on the aluminum from the burner. It may burn through over time but it might hold up with lower temps for jerky and such. IMO I would put in some sort of heat deflector under the burner element just to be safe.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
hvac81
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04 08 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and - you should probably let me dispose of it for you.... Shocked

Just kidding, sounds like a Cool project. Got pictures??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: