FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attention Keri C. Diamond Plate smoker info
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well.... lets see some pictures. Very Happy
Am kinda interested in the big 40, would like to see a picutre or two. Smile
How many grates will be standard on this new 40? Would be nice if a log lighter would come standard also. Twisted Evil

Really its none of my bussiness, just messing with ya guys. But still a pic would be cool. Razz
AZBarbeque

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 10:36 am    Post subject: AZBarbeque, SouthWest Diamond Plate Smoker Distributor Reply with quote

Hey all, haven't been on here in quite a while, but I did just go through and read all this thread.

Some of you were asking where or if there was a forum dedicated to the Diamond Plate smokers, well, you are in luck, there is on our site. www.AZBarbeque.com then go to the Forum section and register just like you did here.

I have been personally using the Diamond Plate Smokers now for about a year and a half and I totally love them, that is why I became a Distributor for them. Can't represent something if you don't believe in it.

I started off with a regular 50 Series and have now upgraded to the Big Boy, fully loaded 70 Series and I have to say I love it.

I got my 70 and immediately went to a KCBS contest that weekend. I wound up taking 3rd place in Brisket and was amazed at how great it cooked.

I would love to keep in contact with each of you and hear of your great BBQing stories using these Diamond Plate Smokers. Please jump in our our board and make yourself at home, we have a bunch of great people on there and host some incredible events.

We have a great IBCA BBQ Contest coming up on November 3rd & 4th of this year down here in Phoenix. We offer a 20% discount to any and all teams competing using a Diamond Plate Smoker in any contests we organize. Travis and our company, AZBarbeque have even gotten together and donated a FAT 50 that is to be raffled off at the contest to some lucky winner. Maybe it could be you. If you are interested, check out the official web site www.LakePleasantBBQCookoff.com or e-mail me. We would love to have you all out there showing the BBQ world how great these units can cook in competitions.

Great to meet you all, hope to see you all soon.

Mike

If God wanted us to be Vegatarians, why did he make animals out of meat??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AZBarbeque

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, Just delivered BBQCZAR's Big 40 earlier today, I'm sure he will be posting some comments and pictures of it soon.

Congrats BBQCZAR, I love your enthusiasim....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBarbeque wrote:
Oh yea, Just delivered BBQCZAR's Big 40 earlier today, I'm sure he will be posting some comments and pictures of it soon.

Congrats BBQCZAR, I love your enthusiasim....
Mike delivered my big 40 today and it is already burned in,seasoned and ready to roll ! I used some lump in it for the burn -in,that was about 325 degrees for 2 hours.Then used some more lump and mixture of apply,oak,pecan wood for seasoning.I did like Travis said and I went thru 2 whole cans of Pam,sprayed about 5 times total and it already looks and smells good. Travis,I also did what you said about cleaning the cooking grate,I went to car wash and pressure washed it for about 10 minutres real good all over. I am ready to roll this weekend,I have 4 butts,10 racks ribs and some chickens being done on it.I will get pictures as soon as I can. I REALLY want to thank Travis for the GREAT jobe he did on my smoker and thanks to Mike here in Scottsdale for getting it to me in time and delivered right to me,I could not have asked for better service ! Tell you what guys,better get your orders in to Travis soon,becuase I can already see I am going to be stepping up to a fat 50 by New Years !! These are one great smoker,and great looking,and of course will be great tasting ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis,the fire box control,thats the sliding one underneath the firebox correct ? So run it wide open,and then use the exhaust controls in the stack for temp control,correct ? I ran the firebox vent(the slide underneath the firebox) open wide and I opened the exhaust wide open.I used about 15 lbs of, lump for burn in and it never got over 325 deg.so regulating the temp may be fairly easy I think . Tavis,maybe you can give us more info on the proper procedure for keeping the temp around 225-235 deg. I am new with this, and I will experiment and practice,practice,practice,but would also like ANY advice from Travis,Mike,Keri C,etc. on temp control and or any other good advice about using this smoker .Thanks everyone.
AZBarbeque

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, The best way I have seen to control the temp is just getting familiar with the unit by using it a few times. I have now owned and used 4 different ones and they were all a bit different from each other, that's the beauty of these units, they are all Custom...

To control the temp around the 225 - 235 range, I get the fire going using a bit of lump, then once it is going good, I will add wood (Pecan, Grape, Mesquite) and just use wood from there on out unless I need to crank the heat back up. Once the wood is going, it is fairly easy to control the heat using the dampers on the stacks. Most of the time, they will be fully open, if you want it a bit hotter, close them both a bit.

Now, try not to keep opening the main chamber as you will really mess with controlling the heat if you do. Use the steamer as well in the beginning to get the moisture into the cooking chamber. Now, initially the temps will be lower as you are heating up the water to steam, once that is done, the temps should stabilize find and the controlling should not be an issue. Just make sure to keep the wood burning and don't let it go out.

Good Luck, let me know if you have any other questions...

BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mike.Where should I set the bottome fire box vent ?I am going to use some lump and wood just like you do,thats what I always used in my BAR-B-CHEF and man does it work good ! I guess I will have to spend all night in a few weeks making a large brisket and stay up allnight to see how long the smoker goes before needing fuel and or adjustments.
AZBarbeque

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I keep that fully open in the beginning, then I close it a bit as the cook is going on, this way, the wood last longer and the heat stays about the same.

You should be able to get a few hours without needing to add wood, so you should be able to get some sleep....

Good Luck, let me know how it goes.

BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBarbeque wrote:
Tim, I keep that fully open in the beginning, then I close it a bit as the cook is going on, this way, the wood last longer and the heat stays about the same.

You should be able to get a few hours without needing to add wood, so you should be able to get some sleep....

Good Luck, let me know how it goes.
Sleep ?nah,I will get plenty when I am dead ,at Lake Pleasent I will "buy you a Crown Royal " about 3 am instead of sleeping ! I am REALLY looking forward to the event ! I am going to be using a mixture of apple,pecan,cherry,to smoke with at the lake,gonna be a graet event ! BTW,Thanks go out to Mike for sponsoring this great event ,for a great cause !
AZBarbeque

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, the best time I had at the Taylor event was staying up all night and talking with all the other BBQ cooks. Just knowing everyone else is gone home and asleep and just us BBQ fanatics were still here was an awesome feeling.

I will join you for that Crown at 3 am too.. Very Happy

BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBarbeque wrote:
Tim, the best time I had at the Taylor event was staying up all night and talking with all the other BBQ cooks. Just knowing everyone else is gone home and asleep and just us BBQ fanatics were still here was an awesome feeling.

I will join you for that Crown at 3 am too.. Very Happy
Sounds good ! I will bring the Crown,and all us "cooks" will have to "get down "REALLY looking forward to it !
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to start with the firebox all the way open. Push the exhaust all the way in and then pull it out 1/2". This will allow you to build a lot smaller fire and use less wood. If you need to lower the temp, pull the exhaust out a little. Raise the temp by pushing it in. I ususally stay within 1/2" to 1". Once you get it set, you really don't have to mess with it much, just add fuel.
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis, when you say you like to start with the "firebox open", are you referring to the firebox vent, or the firebox doors themselves in addition to the vent? On our previous Oklahoma Joe's clone we tended to leave both the firebox door AND the door on the vertical open for a while when firing it up to get the heat moving and the initial smoke through the cooker. Have you found that advantageous with the Fat 50? I love the snout dampers, BTW, Travis, if you hadn't figured that out yet - they work exactly as I had imagined they would!

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07 06 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis_Creek wrote:
I like to start with the firebox all the way open. Push the exhaust all the way in and then pull it out 1/2". This will allow you to build a lot smaller fire and use less wood. If you need to lower the temp, pull the exhaust out a little. Raise the temp by pushing it in. I ususally stay within 1/2" to 1". Once you get it set, you really don't have to mess with it much, just add fuel.
Travis,you say to "push the exhaust all the way in,then pull out 1/2"you are speaking about the exhaust on the bottom of the firebox,not the exhausts on the smokestacks,correct ? Also you said to start with the firebox open,do you mean the firebox door ? When first starting ,where should all 3 (firebox,and 2 smokestack)exhausts positions be,and should the firebox door be open or closed ? I know,lots of questions,thanks for all the answers ! LOL !!
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07 06 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial startoff with a propane starter:

Firebox inlet damper - open all the way
Firebox door/s - open all the way
Exhaust dampers under stacks - open all the way
Fill charcoal tray with fuel (wood/charcoal)
Light burner and run approximately 15 minutes

Once lit:

Turn off burner
Leave firebox inlet damper open all the way
Close firebox door/s
Push exhaust dampers under stacks and pull out 1/2"

After 30 minutes or so, check temp.
If temp is within 20 degrees, adjust exhaust dampers under stacks. Push in for more heat, pull out for less heat.

If the unit is more than 20 degrees off, then add or remove fuel to accomidate.

To get the best heat distribution and the least amount of fuel consumption, this should be your starting point. Once you do it a few times, you'll know exactly how much fuel to start with to get a good burn. It will also make your charcoal tray and paint last longer, since your not building as hot of a fire.

If your fire goes out, add more logs and hit the firestarter again for 10/15 minutes. Never run the firestarter with the firebox doors closed, unless you keep a close eye on it. The smoke can suffocate the starter.
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07 06 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most builders recommend leaving the exhaust dampers open all the way. This is generally a design issue, since the unit does not have adequate exhaust. With 2/5" exhaust pipes, you have the ability to control minor temp changes with the exhast, without suffocating the fire.
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07 06 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Travis for all the info.I will be smoking on Sunday for about 30 people so I will be putting it to the test then.I am looking forward to some good pulled pork and ribs from it !
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07 06 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with too small of a fire, if you can't get the temp up, it is easy to add more fuel.
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07 06 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Travis.

As long as we're asking questions, Travis and other DPP'ers, do you prefer to cook your butts and briskets directly on the cooking racks, or do you like to put them on a raised rack in something like an 11x17 foil or restaurant pan? I've never done anything other than directly on the cooking racks in our other smokers, myself, but I've seen many pictures in the DPPs where these cuts are being cooked in pans. Or is this simply a question of whether you want to save drippings and/or keep the drippings out of the bottom of the cooker?

Hey, Czar, our headcount for our inaugural cook for Sunday is 33 at the moment - making our Sam's run tonight. We'll surely have to be comparing notes after this weekend, eh?
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07 06 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it directly on the grill, but everyone is different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: