FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attention Keri C. Diamond Plate smoker info
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an address with a ton of photos.

http://public.fotki.com/winstons/diamondplate_produc/
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've mounted a couple on concesion trailers. Should have one in the works in the next month or so, I'll take some pics.

Just completed a stationary unit for a restraunt. We left 12" between the cook chamber and the firebox, so the firebox could be mounted outside the kitchen. I received feedback today, that it worked out great.

I have also been thinking about a 12' version mounted lengthwise on a dual axle trailer. Was thinking of two fireboxes mounted underneath, one fed from the front and the other from the rear. Split the front and rear cooking chambers with a divider, and put doors on both sides so the grills could slide out either direction. Put 4 chrome stacks right down the center. It would allow the two chambers to run independently. What does everyone think??

We have another product coming out, as soon as Jay completes the field tests. If you like cookin hogs, you'll love it! Catch up with Jay, you can see his prototype. I say his prototype, because he is the brainchild of its birth! Jay also played a key role in the development of the FAT 50 (our top seller now), and I think he came up with another winner this time! I can't wait to see the name for the new line, which is Jay's well deserved honor.

As always, we welcome everyone's input and suggestions. We want to build what everyone really wants, not just make build what we think you want.
Hoochie-Que
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay - Got your email this afternoon... Thanks for all the great info.. Look for my order in the morn Smile What are the overall dimensions of the smoker on the trailer (length from trailer hitch to backend, width at the widest point, height)? Am trying to make certain it fits in my garage especially during our winters up here...

Keri / Alex - One of you has the propane log burner/starter (Alex) and one doesn't (Keri)... I already have a weed torch.. Do I want/need the propane log starter? Why or why not? (Anyone else can chime in here as well if they wish)

To anyone doing comps with the Fat 50 - if you don't have the grill option, what are you crisping your chicken with? WSM? BDS (I have two of these great smokers as well)? Kettle? Other?

BBQCzar - I had a lot of the same Q's as you, but in doing a "Search" on this BB just using the word "diamond", I have found a few posts that have a photo or two of the log/charcoal "box"/container, a little glimpse as to how things enter the smoking chamber from the fire box, etc... Many of these photos don't show up on Travis' website, and have been quite helpful to me as well... So you might want to do the same to help a little until your smoker arrives Smile

Czar, I hope you will take this the right way, too - but as one "smokehead" talking to another, I think you sure may be pushing things to be ready for your upcoming comp with as little experience as you are going to have on this new smoker going into the comp... Man, I feel your excitement... I really do... But a smoker is like a lover - you got to explore and learn all the in's and outs, and what makes her purr - and what doesn't... And generally that just takes a little time and practice and experience with each and every lover (smoker)... I kinda worry you may be trying to "discover" all of this in a fashion similar to a Juarez "quickie"... I guess if I were you, I'd take ol' "Betty Sue" to the dance just one more time - and leave sexy, sultry "Veronica" back home until I got to know her just a little bit better... I have no doubt your new smoker is going to be all you will want and more... But I think for a comp, you really want to know your smoker and how to manage/control everything before hand, and really well... Otherwise, you might get there and she might decide to do her version of "Bend Over Boyfriend" on you at this comp... Shocked

Just my 2 cents... And sorry if I offended anyone...

Thanks in advance!!...
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quickie - pictures of my Fat 50 thus far are now up, at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=iyt9005.8gqe04od&x=0&y=z9xoai.

First section is in Jay's driveway late last Wednesday night when we stopped to pick up the cooker. Also in those pictures you can see Jay's brand new Fat 40, and an occasional view of both Jay and my DH Robert. Then there are the prerequisite shots of the new cooker just sitting there behind the truck, not doing anything but lookin' purty and attracting attention. I think there's finally a little smoke moving in the last shot.

Just had to share...

Keri C
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis_Creek wrote:
BBQCZAR wrote:
I appreciate the info on it. was supposed to have mine on tues day but it is not done yet .It is supposed to be done on Wed.so I should ahve it by late Thursday.I am really llooking forward to trying it out and doing some smoking.

I am truly sorry about the delay. Nobody wants to get smokers delivered faster than me. I try to estimate delivery to the best of my ability, but I do miss by a few days occasionally. I also refuse to compromise quality in exchange for speed. With that in mind, I promise the wait will be well worth it.

Thanks everyone for the praise. I have wanted to start a board for everyone to post on and compare ideas. That is where I draw from on design changes. Just can't seem to find the time with all the orders to fill. We're building 2 1/2 units per week now and still have a 6 wk backlog in October. For instance, we've overwhelmed our wheel supplier. We're the top buyer in the country of the small Pacer chrome wheels, and have dried up inventory across the country for the next couple of weeks or so. Please be patient, a board is on the list of things to do (<hint, hint, Jay).

I only get to visit the site here every couple of days, but I always find right ups that make all the long hours seem worth it.

Thanks!!

Travis
Travis,I appreciate all the work you are doing ! I have that Fat 40 coming to Phoenix from Mike R. in Scottsdale .I am going to put it to the test at the big Lake Pleasent event Mike is putting on here in Phoenix. I will probably put in an order for a 60 around the first of the year and I am going to sell this fat 40 to a friend.Mike said I should have it by Thursady and that sounds good to me.I will do 3 seasonings on it this weekend and then smoke up some ribs and chicken and tyhen I have a few weeks till Lake Pleasent event to get the temp holdings down good and get siome practice in on it.Again Travis,thanks for all the work you have done on my smoker,I KNOW I will love it and get alot of good use out of it. BTW guys,I got the propane starter,smokerbox burner,steamer unit,and wood box on mine.Burner in the smokebox is great for grilling and doing tailgating parties,etc.
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to keri c. ,Tavis for the photos and everyone else with all the info.I REALLY do appreciate it ! I am going to take my 3 WSM to the comp I have coming up ,but I am also going to take the new Diamond Plate as well.QWe are going to cook on all 4 and see what happens,man it sure will be a learning experience !!
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our new Fattie is going to get a workout over the next month. This coming weekend we'll be doing a full comp-plus rehearsal and feeding a crowd in the backyard. Probably working on the weekend of the 15th, so not much cooking that weekend. Sad Competition on the 20-21 (with ONE WSM along for the ride - in for a penny, in for a pound...), and then our annual Senior-Q for approximately 150 on the 28th. She's going to earn her keep!

Travis, I really like this cooker!

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
Hot Wire BBQ
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03 06 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czar, the first ever comp we did was on a brand new 50 about 2 years ago. There were no trial runs, only a seasoning on it. We took 1st place in ribs.
My new Fat50 that I picked up about 2 months ago was used twice before our big MIM event, we ended up taking 2nd in shoulders. You will find out very quickly on how to regulate the temperature with little work. Good luck and take some pictures for us.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04 06 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranucci's Big Butt wrote:
Czar, the first ever comp we did was on a brand new 50 about 2 years ago. There were no trial runs, only a seasoning on it. We took 1st place in ribs.
My new Fat50 that I picked up about 2 months ago was used twice before our big MIM event, we ended up taking 2nd in shoulders. You will find out very quickly on how to regulate the temperature with little work. Good luck and take some pictures for us.
I appreciate all the info from you and everyone else here.I decideed to go with this type of smoker without ever seeing one or using one.I have almost 4 weeks before the comp so I think I can get the operation and temp holdings down ok.Thanks everyone !
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04 06 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my Phoenix Diamond Plate dist. left early this morning to go get my smoker ! He should be back sometime tomorow with it. I am REALLY looking forward to getting it.After work tomorow,I am going to give it a high heat burn,then Fri morning a seasoning,fri. afternoon a 2nd seasoning,Sat. morning a 3rd seasoning,then Su. I am going to make some ribs and chicken on it.Next weekend its full-blown smokin time ,brisket,ribs,chicken,pork shoulder,sausages ! Gonna give this baby the works and see how it performs,and all the while will do some temp mappings and see how even the temps are.I will let everyone know how it goes and will try to post some picture of new unit.Travis,thank you for getting this done and I now have another person here in Phoenix that wants one of the fat 50's so I will get ahold of Mike R. and will get that order going.Also I think after new year I will get a larger unit from you as well as I think I am going to outgrow this one fast !
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05 06 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to go through several more seasoning sessions, but I don't think I can stand to be blowin' smoke again without some kind of meat meetin' the heat. We've done a high-heat (375 or so) peanut oil treatment, and a long low-heat heavy smoke session - the smoker itself smells wonderful at this point! I think I'll throw a few whole chickens on Saturday morning as I get ready for the big "inaugural" cook Saturday afternoon into Sunday. We'll do probably three briskets, two to four butts, 9 slabs of spares, several maple-flavored fatties glazed with Blues Hog for munchies, and X amount of chicken pieces depending on our final headcount, along with a big pot of pinto beans, a big bowl of sweet creamy slaw, and other sides TBA depending on my mood. Dessert, should anyone be able to hold it, will be either hot peach and apple cobblers, tart-sized individual pecan pies, or maybe a choice of bananas foster cheesecake or chocolate turtle cheesecake if I get particularly ambitious.

I'm also going to test the Fattie's baking capabilities right before "turn-ins" with a couple of skillets of cornbread (blue ribbon at the Oklahoma State Fair, BTW.) I'm convinced that I can successfully bake in this wee beastie.

I've been talking to the food editor at the Tulsa World newspaper, and it looks like she and her husband will be at our feed Sunday as well. She's seen a picture of a generic Fat 50, and she's wanting to run a story in the paper along with a picture of the cooker in action as a preliminary to the Jenks competition on Oct 20-21.

Okay, Czar - time to show what we're made of during our maiden voyages on these little sweethearts!

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

Last edited by Robert & Keri C on Thu Oct 05 06 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05 06 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Baby !!! Mine will be here tomorow afternoon !! High heat seasoning right off the bat ! BTW Keri C. what is a maple flavored fattie ? I have not heard that term before,is it pork of some kind ??Sounds like we will both be busy smokin this weekend !!!
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05 06 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "fattie" is simply a roll of pork breakfast sausage (http://www.owensinc.com/website/owens/ohomepage.nsf), removed from the plastic wrap and smoked in that shape until done. Owens, and another company as well, if I remember correctly, have come out with maple-flavored pork breakfast sausage. I experimented with smoking a few of the 1-lb rolls straight out of the plastic wrap at a comp earlier in the year, and the slightly sweet maple-tinged seasoning blended very nicely with the Smoking Guns Hot rub and a light Blues Hog glaze. Just smear a little cheap yellow mustard on the sausage, rub lightly with your favorite rub de jour, and throw it in the smoker for about two to three hours, depending on your temp, until it reaches 170 or higher in the middle. Glaze with a bit of sauce or not, as you like. It makes a nice cook-snack if you can keep all the non-cooks out of it, and a nice addition to a comp breakfast as well. Even my grandmother loves the stuff, and usually requests a roll or two anytime she knows that we're going to have a smoker going.

In summary, a "fattie" is a smoked roll of breakfast sausage. Not to be confused with a "Fattie", which is a nickname for a cooker upon which you can smoke many "fatties" at once.

Last edited by Robert & Keri C on Thu Oct 05 06 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
hogleg64

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05 06 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff T wrote:
One of these......... http://www.diamondplateproducts.com/FAT50Series.htm
ahhh!very cool,thank you. Smile
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05 06 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQCZAR, you don't need too hot of an initial burn. I've had guys build fires so hot, they start warping stuff up and destroy there charcoal tray.

Take the grills out and wash them with high pressure water. Your trying to get the foundery oil off of them. Then run a burn at about 350'F or so for around an hour. It doesn't take a lot of wood to reach that temp. Let the temp drop to 225'F and run it for a couple of hours. I like to coat the grills and inside with spray Pam about every 15 minutes. Peanut oil is also great.

I believe you got a steamer. I would suggest a few runs without the steamer, so you can get used to maintaining your temps. Once your comfortable, try the steamer. The steamer tends to hold the smoker at 215-225'F , whether your are under firing or over firing. A little patience and a little practice will make your smoking experience much better.

Good luck and give me a call if you have any questions or need some tips.

325-651-4728
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05 06 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis_Creek wrote:
BBQCZAR, you don't need too hot of an initial burn. I've had guys build fires so hot, they start warping stuff up and destroy there charcoal tray.

Take the grills out and wash them with high pressure water. Your trying to get the foundery oil off of them. Then run a burn at about 350'F or so for around an hour. It doesn't take a lot of wood to reach that temp. Let the temp drop to 225'F and run it for a couple of hours. I like to coat the grills and inside with spray Pam about every 15 minutes. Peanut oil is also great.

I believe you got a steamer. I would suggest a few runs without the steamer, so you can get used to maintaining your temps. Once your comfortable, try the steamer. The steamer tends to hold the smoker at 215-225'F , whether your are under firing or over firing. A little patience and a little practice will make your smoking experience much better.

Good luck and give me a call if you have any questions or need some tips.

325-651-4728
Travis,Thank you very much for the info.I was only going to burn it at about 350 deg .I know what you mean about guys firing up to 500 deg or so and warp the doors,lids,etc. ,not me I will keep around 325-350 deg.If I have any questions I will call you,I also will probably be placing an order for Another after the New Year.I also like using Pam,I have 2 cans just waiting for Mike to get here with mine.One question regarding the steamer unit.You are saying the steamer helps hold,or sorta rgulate the temp ? So if I am using the unit and the temp starts to rise too much would it be a good idea to just turn on the steamer or just adjust the vents and or both ? I will be doing ALOT of smoking this weekend and the next 3 weekends straight,so I will get a chance to play with it.Also about how much lump and wood would you start out with if say,you wanted to smoke some ribs(around 4 hr burn ) ? I have some other people that are VERY interesed in getting these smokers now so may have a couple orders coming your way.Thanks !
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czar, I'm not Travis, but I... uh... well, I know from experience what can happen to a hot cast iron skillet if you pour cold water into it under the right circumstances, and it ain't pretty - warping and cracking and then weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. It didn't come from Travis or Jay, but I've been pretty much of a mind on ours that unless there's already hot water in it from the start, I'm not going to try to pour water into it after the metal is heated, as that steam unit sits right on top of the firebox, and I'd SURE hate to crack the top of that firebox. Travis will know better, but that's my way of looking at it.

Personally, if I want steam after the thing is already hot, I plan on using a double-thickness foil pan of water sitting directly over the end of the snout(s) on the bottom rack, or just closing the valve on the bottom and pouring water into the bottom of the cooker itself.

Keri C
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,I was not going to pour water into it when hot.I was talking about having it filled,then getting unit hot and using the steamer to regulate the temp somewhat.I would never put water into it hot,probably get someone scalded to death !!!
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - my apologies 'bout that. Embarassed I didn't figure that WAS what you meant, really, but better safe than sorry.

I am SO looking forward to getting a big cook underway on this girl!
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06 06 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have poored water into it hot. You just have to remember that it is hot. It can boil back at you. It is better to pour a little at a time. Also be careful, removing the cap when it still has water in it. There is not a lot of pressure in it, but it can boil out on you, and the steam can get you to.

The meat will come out bad, if you are over firing the pit and using the steamer. Your meat will get way to much smoke. Even though your guages are reading ok. The steam keeps the temp down, but you are really pooring the smoke in there. If this happens to you, you may develop a bad impression of the steamer system. You should learn to control the temp, without depending on the steamer.

I think most people are just using the steamer in the beginning, or maybe filling it once or twice. It's really personal taste.

The only controls I ever use are on the exhaust. I like to run the firebox control open all the way, so I don't sufficate the fire and get bad smoke. I use the exhaust controls if the temp is 20 degrees or so off. If it is off more than that, then your fire is not right.

I don't personally use lump charcoal, because I can't seem to find it here. I only use sticks, which need to be tended every hour or so. I would ask Mike when you pick it up, or someone on here. I believe they are using lump.

I think you will really like the BIG 40. It may look small at first, but it is my favorite size for family use. I can serve 100+ people, or just my family. Since it is a smaller cooking chamber, it comes up to temp real quick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: