FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attention Keri C. Diamond Plate smoker info
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoochie-Que
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11 06 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... I know you spoke with Danny G down in Roswell about this issue... Did he give you any rough "guidelines" on the age of wood to use... Older than 1 year but less than 3 yr maybe?

Thanks... Cool

"Jesus Loved Barbeque, Too" - Kinky Friedman
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11 06 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His suggestion, based on the similarities between his big cookers and the Fat 50, was to try between six months and year old wood, actually.
Hoochie-Que
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11 06 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know his suggestion seemed to work for you... Any explanation as why, since wood in that age range (esp 6-10 months) generally might still be considered to be a little in the "green" category?

Readers Digest version would be fine... Thanks Cool

BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17 06 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,anyone cooking turkeys on their DP's next week ? I am going to cook 2 12-13 lb. ones each with different seasonings.I am going to brine both first with some flavors.I think they will turn out great !( I hope ) Very Happy
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17 06 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !!!! Slow out here.I guess in alot of parts of the USA the BBQ season is kinda over.Here in Phoenix it's still going strong.We have a hopliday rib cook-off coming up on Dec 9th in Tempe AZ. it may be a little cool in the morning ,but should be around 82 deg by turn-in ! I would guess all the BBQ forums slow down this time of year,but I am going to keep at it and I am going to get an order for a fat 50 in by Feb. !!!! Very Happy I am doing turkeys on Thanksgiving and a prime rib and ham for Christmas, and brisket and ribs for New Years,I am going to be busy !! If I don't get a chance next week(my bussiness is VERY busy this time of year )to get on the forum I just want to tell EVERYONE to have a safe,blessed,and happy Thanksgiving ! take care all !!!!! Very Happy
Hoochie-Que
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17 06 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you as well, Czar... Cool

pork_belly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17 06 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fellas its been a while just busy lately but I felt I had to get in on this one since we are DPP 60 owners. Travis and Jay the cooker is doing great we have made a few mods to her nothing big but a few. We did a VFW troop fundraiser a month and a half ago we cooked for well over 1,000 people with no trouble. We had over 800 lbs of brisket's and butts on her people flipped over the food plus we had a large group of people gathered around drooling over the smoker. There were so many questions and people watching it almost through off our timing. But every thing went well we ended up raising over $8,000 for the troops and their families in food sales alone. This was fun concidering there was only three of us doing this job Very Happy We want to get with you to see if you could do us a catering and comp trailer rig for us. Not sure when we would place an order but just wondering, getting our line in the water, doing research you know
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28 06 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been awhile since anyone talking about the Diamond Plates and cooking so I figured I would bring this thread back up again ! I guess in alot ofparts of the country BBQ season is over,but here in Arizona it goes on all year long!!!This saterday it will be prime rib,pulled pork,maybe some ribs.I haven't smoked in about 1 month so I am going thru withdrawls so it is time to "get er done " !!!! Is anyone else still smokin on their DP's ??? Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE HERE !!!!!
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28 06 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's see. We did 18 slabs of babybacks on Thursday before Christmas, while butts and briskets cooked through the night on the WSMs so I could get at least a few hours' sleep. Before that, I guess it would have been back on the 14th of Dec when we did half a dozen packers, a case of butts, and 30 lb of bologna for Robert's holiday lunch at work. She really hasn't gotten too much of a rest. She's earning her keep, alright...

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28 06 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with a DP have any problems with their propane add ons? I am having some problems with all my connections. Travis gave me some info that might help but wanted to see if anyone has had any problems?
Mine will turn on for a brief burst of gas then it just shuts off completely on all connections, like something is clogging it or the connection on the tank is bad.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28 06 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,I have not had any problems with mine,however I was at a Christmas party and a guy had a 50 and could not get the burner to light and stay lit properly in the cooking chamber.They were going to grill some chicken and shrimp and they finally got the wood and charcoal to lite but it really did not work properly.I have used the log lighter,chamber burner both on mine and have had no problems at all.One thing I am wondering is if you don't use the burner in the cooking chamber for too long maybe it gets clogged and needs cleaned ?Just a thought.
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29 06 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he is having the same problem as I am. I am going to try and take the main tube apart this weekend and see if there is anything clogging it up, if that doesn't work I will try the main valve that connects to the tank itself.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
helix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29 06 6:24 am    Post subject: Ordering new big 40 Reply with quote

Thanks for all the insight into operating a DPP smoker y'all are sharing.
I am in contact with Travis, getting ready to order a Big 40.
Chatting back and forth,
Travis recommends the following setup:

-chrome stacks Very Happy
-Propane
-Grill
-Steam system
-no trailer.

Anything you guys with driving experience on DPP's can
suggest we add, since I'd have a hard time sending it back to him for mods.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29 06 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, when you start working on it, give me a call. New cell # 325-203-0028. Anytime is ok, I keep it on me all the time. I would like to walk you through some tests to find the problem. We have replaced a couple of regulators lately. I think the weather is getting them. If you store your smokers outside for an extended time, I would pull the regulator and plug the line. You could also wrap the regulator in a bag and tape it tightly. If anyone is having regulator trouble, give me a call, I will be glad to send you another.
Ranucci's Big Butt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29 06 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Travis, I am going to check it out this weekend as I should have some down time.

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
www.ranuccis.com
www.bigbuttbbq.com
Big Tom
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29 06 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, it looks as though you may be onto a potential problem, spiders or insects may nest in the burner tubes when things are idle.

Something else that I thought of is the connection at the propane tank. You may check the connector that screws into the tank valve, if it is the type with an o-ring, age or wear on the o-ring could keep the check from opening in the tank valve for full flow of gas. You may see a good flame to start as the burner lines will be at full pressure, then as the gas burns off there isn't enough flow from the tank to maintain. I have had similar symptoms with other outdoor gas appliances.

I changed to some connectors that are sold as replacements for gas grills. I bought them because they are the type with a large plastic knob (not tools required) instead of the typical brass nut that threads into the tank valve, an advantage is a different design on the mating surface of the connector. Instead of the o-ring there is an piece that extends from the tapered seat and engages the check on the tank valve.

Good luck.
BBQCZAR
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30 06 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am here in Phoenix,so not alot of rain,mousture,snow ,etc. ,but I think what I will do is at least once a month I will fire up the log lighter and chamber burner,just to keep them up to par and burn out any clogs,insects,etc.That may be all it takes to keep them operating goopd.Travis,mine has been ok so far,I will let you know if problems arise though.
Robert & Keri C
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30 06 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't address the propane grill adder in the cooking chamber for you guys as we didn't choose to get that feature, but my two turkey burners are working just great.

Helix, you mentioned that you're NOT going with a trailer-mounted rig. Personally, I couldn't do without the trailer mount for my cooker. My Fat 50 cooks away from home as much or more as it cooks at home, not to mention the occasional competition. Plus the fact that it's VERY easy to pick up and move around the yard or driveway on the trailer.
helix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31 06 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keri, thanks for responding.
I'll have it mounted on a trailer allright, just can't use the one Travis could provide.
It wouldn't be worth the hassle to get it road-legalized over here, I'd have to change lights, hitch, god knows what else.
So, I'll get it without trailer and put it on a local chassis more easily and hassle free. Very Happy
You're dead right with your thoughts about moving it around the yard without wheels.
I'd love your input smokerwise though, as I'd have a hard time getting it modified later.
Regards, rob

apprentice junior DPP driver
suggestions and helpful hints welcome
Hoochie-Que
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04 07 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, "Santa Jay" from OKC met me in Gallup, NM on Dec 27 with my belated B-day/Christmas gift this year (and for the next 25 years my wife tells me!) - a new DPP Fat 50!! She is all decked out with the chrome pipes, the upgraded deluxe mag wheels, heavy duty axle, side burners, log burner, underneath and front wood boxes, upper storage basket, steam unit, upper shelves, a couple of Tel-Tru thermometers w/6" stems, 50" plasma screen TV w/satellite dish, and a fully functional wet bar... Well, okay - just kidding about the TV, satellite, and wet bar... Wink

I pulled her on back home that evening/next day (through a rather ugly snow storm to boot - had to stop and spend the night because of a "white out" I got caught up in)... She towed like a dream... Found out (because of the ice/snow storm) that the sand and salt they toss on the roads out here can be pretty harsh, and I am having to do a little "touch up" on my fenders because the stuff they threw down on the roads was so abrasive... Sad

I seasoned her the next day.... Rubbed her down with bacon grease & Pam, and brought things up to around 300 for about a hour, and then back down to around 225-235 for another 3 hours... She performed beautifully, in spite of the fact that we did not get above 30 that day, and the fact that this was my first attempt at using a true "stick burner"... I was having a little problem with the propane line feeding the log lighter that day, but Travis walked me through things and we got some debris out that we think got into an orafice while on the road trip...

I then cranked her up again New Years Eve day, and did a "small load" of 2 briskets, 6 racks of pork ribs, a pork butt, and some Elgin sausage for a few families we were having over that evening later... Used some really great pecan wood that Jay brought me (thanks a million, Jay!)... Again, we were dealing with some pretty cold temps that day as well (highs in the upper 20's) - and because of the low temps I had to stay on top of things a litttle more watchfully and I went through a fair amount of wood that day, too - but the smoker performed beautifully... The brisket and pork butt all turned out to perfection in about 10 hours, the ribs in about 5, and the sausage only required about 1 hour... Great ring, great tenderness (I have not used the steamer as yet), great flavor... I would have taken a few "food p*rn" shots, but my guests were devouring the food the minute I began to unwrap things after pulling the meats from the ice chest...

I've got a lot more to learn about this smoker (need to "temperature map" the grill surfaces, learn more about "stick burning" and managing my coals a little better, fine tuning temp controls, etc)... But this smoker is the "real deal" - way beyond the great looks - and I could not be any happier/satisfied!! The design/thought that Travis and Jay have put into this smoker simply rocks...... And Jay and Travis have been absolutely wonderful to work with... Anyone considering a new smoker any time soon need not look any further than DPP, IMHO... Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: