FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety glasses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26 10 8:53 am    Post subject: Safety glasses Reply with quote

I just wanted to remind everyone to take a little extra time and don the protective gear when there is a chance of a rouge piece of metal flying around. I admit I have on occasion picked up a hammer or grinder or even a drill thinking this will only take a second.....I'll just turn my head and squint for a minute Embarassed It's been a long time since I worked my tools and I gotta say I love the new safety glasses available. I found my eye site going south a while back and just found out you can get clear and tinted safety glasses with bi-focals! I even have some mono-goggles with bi-focals now. I'm just waiting on the face shields made like the cheaters for my hood. Laughing I know the old hands know this, I just wanted to stress it to the newbies to metal fabrication. Just my 2 cents for the day. Smile

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62257

'A welder is only as good as his last weld'........
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26 10 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johhnyrod, cant agree with you more. I had a pretty bad eye accident almost 20 years ago now and I can still remember riding an hour from the small town to the big city in an ambulance with both eyes bandaged shut and not knowing if I would ever see again.

Thanks to a great doctor, my eyesight today is almost perfect still.

It only takes and split second and your whole world can be turned upside down. We ALL think that it wont happen to us but it happens everyday, so dont let it happen to you!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26 10 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonny, fantastic reminder tip. Very Happy I have had my fare share of metal plucked from my eyes and it is no fun. Wearing script glasses now makes it tough because safety glasses do not fit well over them and goggles fog up so I am a full face shield guy. It is second nature , I don't even pick up my grinder with out the shield on and no one that helps me will grind with out protection. Its my way or the highway. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26 10 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Jonny, fantastic reminder tip. Very Happy I have had my fare share of metal plucked from my eyes and it is no fun. Wearing script glasses now makes it tough because safety glasses do not fit well over them and goggles fog up so I am a full face shield guy. It is second nature , I don't even pick up my grinder with out the shield on and no one that helps me will grind with out protection. Its my way or the highway. Smile

Yup, ditto here Jonnyrod. Possibly the most important tip, you can't work if you can't see. I waited two days thinking arc flash was the irritation and ended up needing an eye doc with a grinder. My kiddo still thinks he is immune. I am going to crack down as of now.
" My way or the highway" k.a.m.? LOL I have my own spin " I run a dictatorship in this shop, not a democracy" Laughing
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27 10 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
dictatorship

You mean dictatorshop?

May as well keep your ear plugs with your glasses. I havent had my hearing checked in a long time, but I cant hear a damn thing you guys are saying. I suppose that why they teach us hand signals instead of giving evryone a radio.

Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27 10 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With shop space and equipment limited, I am at times finding the need to urge the kiddo to move things along a bit more quickly via hand signal AKA Pull the finger out......... Smile

Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28 10 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I checked this today, I needed to get more earplugs and forgot. My hearing is already wasted, 10 years of Artillery and over 25 years of motorcycles and loud music has taken it's toll. I need to try and save what's left. Surprised

striker12300

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28 10 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget to use some kind of face mask if you're going to be grinding inside of something. Here's mine after grinding the inside of my drum.
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28 10 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

striker12300 wrote:
And don't forget to use some kind of face mask if you're going to be grinding inside of something. Here's mine after grinding the inside of my drum.

Real good post Striker12300, I'm fighting a nasty bronchial infection right now I attribute to all the nasty stuff I breathed in last week while working on mine. There again, drinking beer and getting in a hurry. What's really stupid on my part is I have a stack of dust masks on my work bench. Embarassed

Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02 10 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Jonnyrod safty first...

hell fire grill i must work with the blind....never listen to my hand signals Laughing

ps to the post...keep the man cave clear of clutter and clean and the build will go much smoother and maybe a little safer and faster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: