FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

smoke stack height? need more heat.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfrizman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 5:28 am    Post subject: smoke stack height? need more heat. Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Landmann Blackdog smoker. I did a few mods to it. Heat diffuser, new stack next to firebox. My question is there a certain height to the stack in relation to the size of the smoker. I am having trouble getting enough heat into the smoke box. I am using 3" tubing and have it just about 2" above the grate inside. It is sticking about 20" or so out of the top. Is this too much? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfrizman, have you tried raising the stack off the grate to see if your slowing the draft by it being to low?

Hybrid Cooker
jfrizman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not. The stack is welded in so i would have to cut the pipe. I actually already cut it at an angle already in the smoker box. It seems to have a good draw but the temp will not get much above 200.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask are you relying on the factory therm or are you sure by another therm source that this is the temp she is running at?

Hybrid Cooker
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can experiment with stack length pretty inexpensively by wrapping cheap flashing around the existing stack to extend it. You can get the cooker up to speed, then add the flashing and slide the extension and see how the cooker reacts.

Of course, if you're trying to increase draw from the exhaust end, you need to support that draw at the intake end as well. If your intakes aren't sufficient, trying to increase stack velocity by increasing stack length might not show much if any improvement...

Cheers - and good luck!
jfrizman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
I have to ask are you relying on the factory therm or are you sure by another therm source that this is the temp she is running at?

I actually have 3 temp guages. Overkill I know. I add two at meat level and just left the factory one in. I also used a electronic temp guage just to be sure. I will try to use the calculator on this forum and see what it says.
jfrizman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:

I actually have 3 temp guages. Overkill I know. I add two at meat level and just left the factory one in. I also used a electronic temp guage just to be sure. I will try to use the calculator on this forum and see what it says.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28 11 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfrizman, you can also P.M. HarvestMoon on this matter he runs one of these cookers and has probably figured out all of their quirks. To answer your question about the pit calculator everything you input should be in inches.

Hybrid Cooker
jfrizman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 11 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
jfrizman, you can also P.M. HarvestMoon on this matter he runs one of these cookers and has probably figured out all of their quirks. To answer your question about the pit calculator everything you input should be in inches.

I was looking through your awsome pics of the great looking smoker you built. My question is I seen the pics of the diffuser that you put in. How much gap did you put on the opposite end of the smoker to allow the heat through? I have a miniture smoker compared to yours but I am assuming that the principals will be the same. Also did oyu put any holes in the diffuser plate?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29 11 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfrizman, Thank You for the kind words. The cooker in my signature is a reverse flow. The diffuser as you are calling it is a 1/4" plate that makes a channel to carry the heat/smoke to the end of the cooking chamber opposite the firebox there are no holes in the plate. The opening at the end is about 1.5 times larger than the firebox to cooking chamber opening.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: