FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ft. Gibson contest soapbox
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffalo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30 10 4:26 am    Post subject: Ft. Gibson contest soapbox Reply with quote

Got my entry in the mail yesterday. I think they have fell of their rocker!! First this is a 5000.00 contest $200.00 entry for a 20x20 spot, $225 or $250 for a bigger space, and isn't a state championship!! Then wanting teams to pay to enter peoples choice, wanting a team to cook for them an pay an entry fee?? I realize I do t have to go there and won't but they need to realize it's a cooks market not a contest market!(meaning there are other contest that weekend) A team can go pay double the entry and cook for 10 times as much, or go cook another contest for 8100.00 for a $135.00 entry fee. Someone needs to wake up Ft Gibson!!

Donny
Stu's Q
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01 10 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boooooyahh! Tellin' it like it is....
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01 10 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the south you basically never see anything less than $250 to enter a KCBS, but you also dont see alot of sub $10k prizes either..
smokelahoma
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01 10 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i decided i can't afford that contest.
Biggens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01 10 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN and HALLELUJAH, Preach it Buffalo cause I agree.....

Founder of "Biggen Horny BBQ Team"

Est:2005
"why is that a PBR your drinking "
BlowinSmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01 10 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Butler, Missouri is only 3.5 hours from Tulsa with a purse of 8,100.00. Bet you might see more local teams going up there with an entry like that.
----New Pigs On The Block BBQ---
www.greencountrychilibbqtoo.com

Cookshack FEC100
Hasty Bake Ranger
4 x Weber 22.5" Kettles
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01 10 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shannon (Vexter) and I are teaming up and doing this comp for a couple of reasons. The entry fee and prize money are NOT among them. Asking cooks to pay to do peoples choice is crazy. I hope they don't sell any tasters kits, because they sure won't have much food to hand out. This will be our first time to do this contest and unless it changes a lot, it will be my last.

If you live in the area, come on out and say hello. Shannon may even introduce you to some friends of his.
Jay
constructioncrewbbq

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01 10 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donny, I am glad someone has finally said somthing, I am still an advisor to the contest but I stepped away when they came up with all of dumb peoples choice things. Plus my time has been very limited with getting married next weekend and building a new house. What I can tell you from the meeting I went to on tues night. They do have their state proclamation in hand but why the kcbs does not have it is out of my hands. I have told them since day one the people choice deal is stupid but I am only one of about 10, they say that they are going to give the cooks meat and give the winner a cash prize. The peoples choice is being run seperate from the contest. I started this comp last year with the intention of it being an awsome comp that was all about the cooks but the city stepped in and took it over and told me to step back so I just advise them on what a cook would want from my experience in the past.

Cody cook

ole hickory EL-IB in 30' concession trailer
custom built offset 36" x 8'
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01 10 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

constructioncrewbbq wrote:
Donny, I am glad someone has finally said somthing, I am still an advisor to the contest but I stepped away when they came up with all of dumb peoples choice things. Plus my time has been very limited with getting married next weekend and building a new house. What I can tell you from the meeting I went to on tues night. They do have their state proclamation in hand but why the kcbs does not have it is out of my hands. I have told them since day one the people choice deal is stupid but I am only one of about 10, they say that they are going to give the cooks meat and give the winner a cash prize. The peoples choice is being run seperate from the contest. I started this comp last year with the intention of it being an awsome comp that was all about the cooks but the city stepped in and took it over and told me to step back so I just advise them on what a cook would want from my experience in the past.

Cody cook

Cody,
Vexter is arranging for some friends of his to cook in this contest and we would like to be located next to them. Can you please PM me a name and phone number I can call to make sure that happens.
Thank you,
Jay
constructioncrewbbq

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02 10 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will still be running the kcbs contest portion of the event as well as cooking it also, just be sure to mark on your entry forms who you would like to be located next to and I will try to make all request happen to the best of my ability.

Cody cook
918-230-2261

ole hickory EL-IB in 30' concession trailer
custom built offset 36" x 8'
Stu's Q
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04 10 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cody for trying to get the kinks worked out. Keep us posted!

Stu
smokinthefortorganizer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07 10 2:01 am    Post subject: Smokin the Fort Reply with quote

Hello, I am one of the organizers of the Smokin the Fort BBQ contest. This is our second year doing this and we are by no means experts. We would like to work with everyone to make this the biggest KCBS BBQ sanctioned event in the state with the richest payout. We will get there. I would also like to make this the cooker friendliest event if at all possible. Your feedback is VERY important to us. We have a meeting Thursday night and I will address the concerns that have been brought up. Don't give up on us yet. I will be posting back after the meeting and letting everyone know the changes we will be making. In the meantime please feel free to continue to give us feedback. Some items I am particularly interested in are the Peoples Choice Award. How is this done at other events? The direction we got was that the Competition Cookers did not like to bother with this and were not interested in giving out food to folks who bought the Taster Kits. We are trying to make this the best event possible for everyone so your feedback is invaluable.
Thanks, Gabe
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07 10 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Smokin the Fort Reply with quote

smokinthefortorganizer wrote:
Hello, I am one of the organizers of the Smokin the Fort BBQ contest. This is our second year doing this and we are by no means experts. We would like to work with everyone to make this the biggest KCBS BBQ sanctioned event in the state with the richest payout. We will get there. I would also like to make this the cooker friendliest event if at all possible. Your feedback is VERY important to us. We have a meeting Thursday night and I will address the concerns that have been brought up. Don't give up on us yet. I will be posting back after the meeting and letting everyone know the changes we will be making. In the meantime please feel free to continue to give us feedback. Some items I am particularly interested in are the Peoples Choice Award. How is this done at other events? The direction we got was that the Competition Cookers did not like to bother with this and were not interested in giving out food to folks who bought the Taster Kits. We are trying to make this the best event possible for everyone so your feedback is invaluable.
Thanks, Gabe

Gabe,
I usually do participate in People Choice because I know it benefits a local charity or organization. From my perspective, participating in the People’s Choice is my gift to the that charity or organization. I do not expect to win the People Choice, it usually goes to a local team and that is fine with me. People Choice is a distraction for the cooks and their teams, many will not do it period. I am a casual competitor and I still get a kick out of the compliments I get from folks, so I participate for that reason and to give back to the community.

You need to understand that most teams traveling to your competition have limited cooking space. To do People’s Choice, we have to use some of that space for the giveaway food. Add the time spent prepping the meat and the cost of the rubs, spices and sauce (I do the People’s Choice meat very much like my competition meat) and I have a good deal of effort and money invested. Since your application makes no mention of who is providing the meat I assume you want me to, that is a problem. When you ask me to lay out money to participate you have made my choice very simple, NO.

If you want us to go to the trouble and expense, then help us out. Get the meat donated so we do not have to pay for it and get rid of that crazy fee. If the meat will be served at the cook sites, provide volunteers to hand it out. Offer the better sites (closer to water, electric or turn in area, more shade if it is hot, etc) to the People Choice teams. One contest offered the People’s Choice teams free ice and the others paid a nominal fee. When you sell the kits, cutoff after the food is gone. I HATE it when people show up 30 minutes after the last turn-in with an empty plate they just paid $10 for and I am left to tell them we have no food. I usually feel so bad I give them my own meat I was taking home for friends.

I will not dwell on the fee versus prize money except to say that it is disproportionate to other contest in the area. We all know that contest are used as fund raisers for the community and to attract visitors to the area. That is fine with me. However, in the back of my mind I feel that I am a performer in this circus to attract visitors. I do not think it is right to squeeze money out of the performers. After all, no performers means no circus.

That is my 2 cents, I hope it helps. If you would like to talk, post a number and I will give you a call,
Jay
vexter1
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07 10 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Smokin the Fort Reply with quote

OkieJay wrote:
Thanks, Gabe

Gabe,
I usually do participate in People Choice because I know it benefits a local charity or organization. From my perspective, participating in the People’s Choice is my gift to the that charity or organization. I do not expect to win the People Choice, it usually goes to a local team and that is fine with me. People Choice is a distraction for the cooks and their teams, many will not do it period. I am a casual competitor and I still get a kick out of the compliments I get from folks, so I participate for that reason and to give back to the community.

You need to understand that most teams traveling to your competition have limited cooking space. To do People’s Choice, we have to use some of that space for the giveaway food. Add the time spent prepping the meat and the cost of the rubs, spices and sauce (I do the People’s Choice meat very much like my competition meat) and I have a good deal of effort and money invested. Since your application makes no mention of who is providing the meat I assume you want me to, that is a problem. When you ask me to lay out money to participate you have made my choice very simple, NO.

If you want us to go to the trouble and expense, then help us out. Get the meat donated so we do not have to pay for it and get rid of that crazy fee. If the meat will be served at the cook sites, provide volunteers to hand it out. Offer the better sites (closer to water, electric or turn in area, more shade if it is hot, etc) to the People Choice teams. One contest offered the People’s Choice teams free ice and the others paid a nominal fee. When you sell the kits, cutoff after the food is gone. I HATE it when people show up 30 minutes after the last turn-in with an empty plate they just paid $10 for and I am left to tell them we have no food. I usually feel so bad I give them my own meat I was taking home for friends.

I will not dwell on the fee versus prize money except to say that it is disproportionate to other contest in the area. We all know that contest are used as fund raisers for the community and to attract visitors to the area. That is fine with me. However, in the back of my mind I feel that I am a performer in this circus to attract visitors. I do not think it is right to squeeze money out of the performers. After all, no performers means no circus.

That is my 2 cents, I hope it helps. If you would like to talk, post a number and I will give you a call,
Jay

Perfectly stated Jay - couldn't have said it any better myself Wink
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07 10 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Smokin the Fort Reply with quote

OkieJay wrote:
If you would like to talk, post a number and I will give you a call,
Jay

If you want to PM a number then it wont be out there for every Tom, Dick and Harry to spend the next week or two bugging you!

I still work here!
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07 10 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Smokin the Fort Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
OkieJay wrote:
If you would like to talk, post a number and I will give you a call,
Jay

If you want to PM a number then it wont be out there for every Tom, Dick and Harry to spend the next week or two bugging you!

Very true.
Thanks SoEzzy
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07 10 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you haven't done many Arizona contests. $300+ but they don't charge for extras. Most of the Colorado contests are $200 or less.

Garry
Stu's Q
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14 10 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Smokin the Fort Reply with quote

Your feedback is VERY important to us. We have a meeting Thursday night and I will address the concerns that have been brought up. Don't give up on us yet. I will be posting back after the meeting and letting everyone know the changes we will be making. In the meantime please feel free to continue to give us feedback.
Thanks, Gabe

So what was the outcome of the meeting? Any changes?

Stu
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14 10 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Smokin the Fort Reply with quote

Stu's Q wrote:
Your feedback is VERY important to us. We have a meeting Thursday night and I will address the concerns that have been brought up. Don't give up on us yet. I will be posting back after the meeting and letting everyone know the changes we will be making. In the meantime please feel free to continue to give us feedback.
Thanks, Gabe

So what was the outcome of the meeting? Any changes?

Stu

Hey Stu,
I hope you decide to do this one.
Vexter (Shannon) has meet so many Oklahoma cooks from the Tulsa area that he is starting to get the wrong idea about us. Shocked
He needs to meet some more OKC area Okies to balance out his impression of Oklahoma folks. Wink
See you there (maybe),
Jay
Stu's Q
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14 10 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: