FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outstanding Smoked Salmon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WBOGGS
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16 07 2:59 am    Post subject: Outstanding Smoked Salmon Reply with quote

This is a smoked salmon recipe I have used several times now. My first attempt got a standing ovation at a group meeting. This recipe is a keeper.

Smoked Salmon
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 24 hours 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Yield: 20 to 30 portions, depending o
User Rating: 5 star

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
2 large salmon fillets or sides, pin bones removed

In a bowl, mix together salt, sugar, brown sugar and peppercorns. Spread extra-wide aluminum foil a little longer than the length of the fish and top with an equally long layer of plastic wrap. Sprinkle 1/3 of the rub onto the plastic. Lay 1 side of the fish skin down onto the rub. Sprinkle 1/3 of the rub onto the flesh of the salmon. Place second side of salmon, flesh down onto the first side. Use the remaining rub to cover the skin on the top piece. Fold plastic over to cover then close edges of foil together and crimp tightly around the fish.

Place wrapped fish onto a plank or sheet pan and top with another plank or pan. Weigh with a heavy phone book or a brick or two and refrigerate for 12 hours. Flip the fish over and refrigerate another 12 hours. Some juice will leak out during the process so make sure there's a place for the runoff to gather.

Unwrap fish and rinse off the cure with cold water. Pat salmon with paper towels then place in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator) until the surface of the fish is dry and matte-like, 1 to 3 hours depending on humidity. A fan may be used to speed the process.
Smoke fish (see Note) over smoldering hardwood chips or sawdust, keeping the temperature inside the smoker between 150 degrees F and 160 degrees F until the thickest part of the fish registers 150 degrees. Serve immediately or cool to room temperature, wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Cook's Note: Trout, mackerel, and bluefish also smoke well.

NOTE, DO SMOKE IT AT THE LOWER TEMPERATURE TO MAINTAIN THE BUTTER FLAVOR OF THE OILS I THE MEAT. IT WILL TAKE A GOOD 6 HOURS TO SMOKE AND I SMOKED IT WITH ALDER WOOD WHICH IS A PERFECT MATCH. I understand you can cheat on temp but your bound to lose some of the savory flavor IMO. Also I used sea salt instead of kosher; not sure how big a difference that made but I usually use sea salt.
bennynac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 07 11:11 am    Post subject: 160 fire Reply with quote

how do you maintain your fire at 160? I cant seem to pull this off.

Thanks
thebigbutt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20 07 10:41 pm    Post subject: Smoked Salmon Reply with quote

I've been wanting to try smoking salmon so I will give this a try.

Thanks,
Crossfire1000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08 08 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have alot of salmon. I will give this a try this week. Would hickory work well with this? Thanks!
bigdude
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09 08 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossfire1000 wrote:
We have alot of salmon. I will give this a try this week. Would hickory work well with this? Thanks!

Wish I could say I had a lot of salmon.
JimmieOhio
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09 08 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossfire1000 wrote:

I'm not sure where my fellow Ohioan gets all his salmon from, except the grocery.

I always thought the state fish of Ohio was a cross between a Coho salmon, a walleye, and a muskie. It's a "Kowalski", but you have to teach the dumb thing how to swim! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

"Never criticize a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. Then, criticize him all you want since you're a mile away and you have HIS shoes."
CigarSmoker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09 08 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this recipe over the weekend. I followed it to a tee, and I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. The salmon had wonderful flavor from the smoke, but the cure was a bit much for me. I used the correct amount of kosher salt, and let it sit overnight, however, parts of the salmon were not edible because it was entirely too salty. WBoggs mentioned that he used sea salt instead of kosher...maybe that is where I went wrong. If anyone has better luck please post.
MaineMapleDave
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17 08 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CigarSmoker wrote:
I used the correct amount of kosher salt, and let it sit overnight, however, parts of the salmon were not edible because it was entirely too salty.

The thing I've found with Kosher salt is that they vary WIDELY in sodium content per serving, so it might simply depend on the brand.

I found this when making pickles once. Well, actually three times. The first batch was perfect, the second inedible (different salt) and tossed out. Third batch was perfect--I went back to the Diamond brand Kosher salt.
Cameron's Stovetop Smoker
See the pix at:
http://flickr.com/photos/21065315@N05/sets/72157603328370636/
knobert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30 10 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also used this one this weekend.

I used se-salt and the family found it a tad salty as well.

Next time I am going to back off the salt a tad more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: