FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First turkey this weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddieq

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01 10 9:39 pm    Post subject: First turkey this weekend Reply with quote

I've got a 14 pounder defrosting in the fridge. I'm going to brine it starting Friday morning and put it in the smoker mid morning Saturday. I've got apple wood and black cherry left over. Those woods good for that or should I pick up something harder?

I did some reading on here and will do the cheese cloth thing to keep the skin from over darkening too soon (then remove it and bump the heat a little toward the end to crisp it.

Any other suggestions?
pyronoel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01 10 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 2 of em this weekend. I foiled after about 3-4 hours so it didn't get too smokey. Then finished in the oven because I needed the grill space.

turned out GREAT
eddieq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02 10 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys usually just pan them and put them in the smoker? What about those vertical roaster things that hold them upright?
pyronoel
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02 10 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did them in a pan laying down.
eddieq

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04 10 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the bird is in the brine and sitting in the fridge. He'll hit the smoker mid morning tomorrow. Already hungry.
Cassiusali1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15 13 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on my first turkey this weekend. I'm interested on thoughts about doing the smoke half breast side up and the other half breast side down to increase moisture and tenderness of the breast meat.
Bkndsdl
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15 13 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassiusali1 wrote:
I'm planning on my first turkey this weekend. I'm interested on thoughts about doing the smoke half breast side up and the other half breast side down to increase moisture and tenderness of the breast meat.

Cassiusali1, you can also do this: before putting the bird in the smoker, put ice in a Ziploc bag and place it on the breast for at least 1/2 hr. This will drop the internal temp of the breast, and allow the breast and thighs to reach their done temps at the same time. I do this all the time and works out great....some have even turned the bird on the breast on top of a bag of ice and put another bag in the cavity to bring the temp down but the bag on top's always worked for me.

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
My DBS
My Hybrid Build
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: