FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

door below the half way mark

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taintedplay
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 11:26 am    Post subject: door below the half way mark Reply with quote

i have a 30in propane tank and want to have three racks if i can. Is there a disadvantage to having the doors going below halfway? so the doors would be 120 degrees out of 360 or something like that.
Jon D. Q.
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. Almost all of my designs have the door cuts at about 1:00 o'clock and 4:00 o'clock.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut down 1" past the 3:00 position which puts the top of my lowest rack at centerline. You may want to put a grate lower than that, depending on what you want to achieve but I wouldn't want to go much lower than 1" past center with my door. The resulting gravity would tend to try and open the door past that point I believe.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
The resulting gravity would tend to try and open the door past that point I believe.

Luckily gravity doesn't change, due to the cut of the door! Rolling Eyes Laughing Shocked

And as long as the bottom of your door is not cut inside a perpendicular, (plumb line), from the hinge point the door will close, once you get inside the arc the door will hang open, as long as you stay outside that plumb line all is good! Wink

I still work here!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:
Wreckless wrote:
The resulting gravity would tend to try and open the door past that point I believe.

Luckily gravity doesn't change, due to the cut of the door! Rolling Eyes Laughing Shocked

And as long as the bottom of your door is not cut inside a perpendicular, (plumb line), from the hinge point the door will close, once you get inside the arc the door will hang open, as long as you stay outside that plumb line all is good! Wink

No disbelief from me SoEzzy, just not understanding the explanation as worded.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you draw a line from 1 to 5, that is the plumb line, (vertical), if you cut the door from 1 round to 5, (or anywhere before 5), the door will shut under it's own weight, if you cut from 1 to anywhere after 5, the door will hang open!

I still work here!
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:

If you draw a line from 1 to 5, that is the plumb line, (vertical), if you cut the door from 1 round to 5, (or anywhere before 5), the door will shut under it's own weight, if you cut from 1 to anywhere after 5, the door will hang open!

Comprende
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taintedplay, on slide out racks I make my cut 1" below 3:00 as Mike said this does allow for the grate top to be at 3:00 if your using 1" stock for your grate frame. If I am doing drop in grates I keep my cut at 3:00 and frame in the cooker rails below that. Keep in mind the lower you go effects how the opening into the cooking chamber is configured. Many a door have been cut so low that it put the bottom rack at to low a position. Also consider your top cut. On a 30" tank if you make your top cut at 12:00 and your lower cut at say 4:00 you will need a step ladder to open the door because of the travel height to break center. These are just my thoughts. Smile
Edited: because SoEzzy is much more awake than myself. Laughing
Thank You Sir. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker

Last edited by k.a.m. on Sun May 15 11 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15 11 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
On a 30" tank if you make your top cut at 12:00 and your lower cut at say 1:00 you will need a step ladder to open the door because of the travel height to break center. These are just my thoughts. Smile

On a 30" tank if your top cut is at 12:00 and your bottom cut is at 1:00, you'll need a step ladder and long arms, to put the meat in and take it out again.

I'd always put the bottom cut at or just below the 3:00 O'Clock mark, a door 1/4 the size of the tank, is easier to get things in and out of than a 1/12th door...3 times as easy in fact!

I still work here!
QObsession
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 16 11 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cooker door is below the half way point and I am very sorry I did not put the door lower. I to could have put in 3 racks if I had done so.
On Tip put a drip rail on the bottom inside of the door so Condensation/moister drips on the inside of the cooker and does not drip out the bottom of your door all over the outside of the cooker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: