FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mig Welder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott F.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03 10 4:09 pm    Post subject: Mig Welder Reply with quote

Does anyone use a Lincoln 216 mig welder? If so please let me know what you think about the machine.I been using Miller products for 30 years but for $500.00 less I can buy the Lincoln.

Scott F.
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04 10 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get a whole lot more if you buy the Millermatic 252. Full digital control gives you run-in, pre/postflow, burnback, and spot/delay (stitch) timer functions. I have found the best way to buy these is at a local welding supply house's open house when all the vendors are there - the markdowns can be enormous. These are both basic 150A MIG machines, but Miller, besides having more features, has better parts support if something needs fixing. Lincoln can be a little problematic in that area.

Also, you need to check if the machine is spoolgun-compatible. I know the Millermatics come with all the electronics to talk to a spoolgun built in. Might be optional on the Lincoln.

But I'm sure the Lincoln 216 is a decent basic MIG welder, looks basically equivalent to a Millermatic 250 which was the last one in the Millermatic series to have analog controls on it. That's what I use in my shop. Do I wish I had a newer machine? Yup, but I only paid $550 for mine with a bottle.

I like Lincoln's little MIG welders, though. I have their SP-175T which by the way is all you need for making a smoker unless you need to work outside.

seattlepitboss
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05 10 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised the Lincoln is cheaper. That has not been my experience. I have Miller, Lincoln and ESAB. I always buy what's the best deal at the time since they are all comperable in quality. I really prefer the analog controls since I don't like the welder "correcting" my arc like most of the digital controls do. If I want to tweak it hoter or colder I can without the machine trying to correct me. $500 is a big price difference.

Like seattlepitboss said, make sure it will run the accessories you might want.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05 10 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Miller 251. It has turned this habitual stick welder into a convert for most anything other than structural / safety needs such as a trailer. The fine tuning is a no brainer which is great, I have plenty of other things to concern myself with. A 252 is on my wish list for another unless I can come up with 251 deal. Possibly thru ignorance, I am still under the impression I will never make a flux core work.
Smoked Up
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06 10 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
Possibly thru ignorance, I am still under the impression I will never make a flux core work.

Reverse your polarity.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07 10 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoked Up wrote:
Wreckless wrote:
Possibly thru ignorance, I am still under the impression I will never make a flux core work.

Reverse your polarity.

I tried that. Standing on my head just gives me a headache and China isn't an option. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: