FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dean's outside Jonesboro, GA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yardman5508
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14 10 4:32 am    Post subject: Dean's outside Jonesboro, GA Reply with quote

After recommending this place to others based on length of business, look, and general reputation, I thought it prudent to actually visit and have a nosh. I stopped by and picked up two sammies to go.

The sign says that Deans has been operating at the same location since 1947. Anyplace that has been around that long MUST have something going for it, after all. Well...what it has going for it is the recollection of bar-be-cue from back before we all brought a more sophisticated palate to the table. Like Fresh Aire and Melears (two other local traditions) the meat had no noticeable smokiness to it at all...and was finely chopped (my own personal prejudice...make it pulled please) and covered with a vinegary sauce that had a hint of sweetness to it, but was mostly vinegar. This seems to be the local standard for this part of Georgia and another reason to considered it a bar-be-cue wasteland.

I did not have the Brunswick stew, but, judging by the sammy, it would probably be a trip down memory lane rather than a taste sensation.

I have to apologize to anyone I may have steered here, and recommend a trip into town for Fox Bros.
Smokey Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: