FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low buck trailer pit. My first build.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31 10 5:47 am    Post subject: Low buck trailer pit. My first build. Reply with quote

I have been gathering material for a while and I am fixin' to get started. So far I am into it for about $900 counting an old boat trailer I picked up. Aside from the trailer I had to buy a 4'x8'x3/8" sheet of carbon and 3 sheets of expanded metal. The rest was either given to me or picked out of the scrap bin at work. The cook chamber is 24" x 70" with a 24" squared fire box. I have some stack material that is 6" sched 10 304 ss and the bottom of the fire box is 3/8ths 304ss. I'm gonna try my hand at that stack and vent calculator next. I'm slow go right now recovering from some ticker problems but I will post up as I go. So far all I really got done was some cutting to make the pieces a little more manageable. Cool

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/Jonnyrod65/Pit/IMG_2887.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/Jonnyrod65/Pit/IMG_2888.jpg

Last edited by Jonnyrod on Tue Nov 02 10 1:38 am; edited 2 times in total
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01 10 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyrod, your off to a great start. Very Happy gathering all the material is sometimes the toughest part of a project I know it is for me anyway. I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Smile
And take it easy on your ticker. Slow and steady wins the race. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05 10 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KAM, will do Cool . I decided to start cleaning the capped tank before I cut into it and it has proven to be quite stubborn. I steamed it for two days with 150lb steam and didn't really do any good. We had a reactor at work in clean out so I hosed it downstream from the unit to the ground and blasted 5 thousand gallons of 270 degree water through it and it still has a slimy coating in it. I really don't want to do a burn out in it as it is a rolled vessel and I would like to keep warpage to a minimum. It will be enough trying to control distortion while cutting it. Next week I will blow about 500 gallons of 300 degree xylene through it followed by several more water boils. I plan to use this as a vertical smoker at the opposite end of the main cook chamber from the fire box. Anyway here are a couple pics of the progress.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/Jonnyrod65/Pit/image.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/Jonnyrod65/Pit/IMG00091-20100613-1933.jpg
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05 10 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that steam enema is way too cool. That's a "best of Smoke Ring" right there. I would not waste the Xylene on it. I'd cut the doors and scrape or wash out the sludge.
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05 10 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the tank used for? I agree, cut it and then clean it. Your off to a good start. Keep us posted.

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05 10 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyrod, I am with D. on the best of the best I love that pic of the steam enema Very Happy Keep the pics coming. I also agree on not using the Xylene, I don't know what could be left in the tank after that clean out. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06 10 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Xylene is no problem as it's free and afterward I will flush it with some more super heated water. There won't be any residue of any kind after I do that. Wink We clean out units with boiling xylene all the time and I have yet to see a product that it won't cut at 280 degrees. I think I have just about crunched all the #s and it looks like I have everything sized so I will start on the firebox after finish working on a friends bike trailer.
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01 10 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a little work this weekend, took advantage of the cooler temps. It was only in the low 90s yesterday Laughing . Tacked up the fire box and the tuning plate rails. I'll weld out the inside of the fire box before I weld the door plate on. The stainless, even though it's 3/8ths thick likes to move quite a bit. I only had to dog two corners so far. I need to get the stanchions built as they will be added support for the mondo fire box. I will be picking up the pace as the weather gets cooler.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/Jonnyrod65/IMG_2902.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/Jonnyrod65/IMG_2901.jpg

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/Jonnyrod65/IMG_2904.jpg
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08 10 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rain from the tropical storm kept things cooled off so I was able to make a little more progress yesterday. My firebox was about 1/8th out of square so I had to run short beads to draw it back and let it cool over night. It's within a 1/16th now so I'm gonna call it good. My other tank was rolled so naturally the door sprung on me when I cut it out. I'll deal with that after I get the hinges done. I'm going to punch holes in some flat bar stock for plug welding the door trim, with any luck I'll have that done by tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to sticking this all together and getting it fired up. Very Happy

Welding the carbon and stainless together
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/Jonnyrod65/Pit/IMG_2907.jpg

The stainless grate all tacked in place
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/Jonnyrod65/Pit/IMG_2912.jpg

The 6" inlet burned in. Had to put it right where I patched it the other day.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/Jonnyrod65/Pit/IMG_2915.jpg
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10 10 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wasn't feelin' it today, wanted to get more done but I opted to just hang out with momma and drink some brew. I did manage to layout all the door sills for the 5/8ths holes as well as the doors for the main cook chamber. I'll probably burn everything in this weekend. Waitin'on kickoff now....Teaux dat baby!

Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12 10 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was hard to get motivated today with all the heat around here but I still got a little more done. Again, the more the beer flows, the slower progress goes. I cut the doors for the main chamber and instead of leaving the corners uncut, I cut those first and ran a short bead of P-5 through the gap bout' an inch long on all four corners. One thing about rolled pipe, if it's rolled it's gonna spring....no matter how many braces you try to put on it. I tacked the end caps beforehand just to minimize the distortion and keep it from going out of round. I cut the 2" sched 10, 316 for the legs as well as the 4" stacks. I'm going to start on the shut off/regulator valve for the upright chamber tomorrow.

Doors cut with end caps tacked in place

The stanchions precut ready to be mitered.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12 10 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyrod, I have been watching your progress and your cooker is looking Great. Very Happy Solid information on the rolled plate springing and a Great on to book mark. Smile I will be watching for more pics and updates. Very Happy
Stay cool my Friend this Texas heat is wearing on me as well.

Hybrid Cooker
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12 10 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, SS for the legs! This is going to be one sweet rig.
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14 10 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KAM, it has been a hot one. I'm looking forward to the cold weather so I can get more done.

Thanks Mr Custom. The legs were cut outs from the plant and they just looked lonely out there in the scrap bin.

I fabbed up the butterfly valve to go between the horizontal and vertical runs last night. I almost forgot how tough the 316 grade stuff is. I will stick rod all the stainless as I don't want to use my argon for a smoker. I'm working on a section that drew up after some patch work tonight, unfortunately it is about 3" from the door cut so it moved an inordinate amount. I would really like to have this baby ready to fire off by the end of the month..... at least be able to do a burn in and play with the temperature control.

Doing the layout for the butterfly valve. Sometimes I make notes to myself so I won't forget.

Smoked a brand new blade on this cut.

Both ends notched for the actuator rod

Gate cut and fit

Actuator rod tacked

Closed position

Unit seals perfect and operates smoothly. Won't ever need lube and wont rust either. I was out of 316 rods so I tacked everything with 309. I'll pick up some 316 and get her beaded out this week.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14 10 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyrod, that is sweeeeeet Very Happy Awesome fit up. Show us more. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14 10 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you gonna try and tell us you cut that perfect circle by hand? Shocked
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14 10 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrcustomsteel wrote:
Are you gonna try and tell us you cut that perfect circle by hand? Shocked

LOL, it's only perfect because my grinder made it so. Laughing
Jonnyrod
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15 10 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a couple more hours in today after work, but after working all day it just started to suck standing in the heat at home........especially after the beer started to flow. Laughing Aside from cutting the random length, and a little more tiger disc action; the butterfly valve is done. I am still a little rusty welding pipe with the 316 rod but it's sealed and ground. I did a butt fit with a dime gap, turned the machine way down, and it still dropped some sugar through the seam. I made quick work of that with a pencil grinder so the gate seals and operates perfect. That spot I patched on the main cook chamber is really being unruly so I will take a rose bud and a porta power to it. With any luck I'll be able to get the hinges on and tacked this weekend.

Half way beaded out Smile

Welded and ground smooth

Not sure exactly how yet, but I'm sure I can incorporate these into the hinges.

As a side shot, here is my 12 year old busting up pallets. He s getting all the kindling ready for the burnouts on the open top drums. He doesn't know it yet but we are going to build 8 UDS's at the same time. Hopefully in time to give out as Christmas presents.

ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17 10 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyrod,
WOW! I like the fab work you are doing... Great build! Cool
I'll be watching for more on this build. Wink
How is your ticker doing?
Better?
I hope so! Very Happy

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17 10 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good so far, nice work
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: