FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

275 Gallon Multi-Purpose Rig

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traijin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19 10 12:46 am    Post subject: 275 Gallon Multi-Purpose Rig Reply with quote

Hello folks, I'm Traijin.

I habitually smoke various meats in a vertical store bought smoker, I now have the opportunity to upgrade.

More importantly, I cook a whole hog once a year. I have done 5 hogs now ranging from 118 lbs to 176 lbs, all of which turned out excellent. At the beginning the pigs I cooked had the skin stripped. This year I finally located a shop that sold the pig with the skin on (the only way to go imho). Every year I rented a pig cooker from differing establishments. All of differing designs and flaws. After fighting with coals that were too hot off the get go, then coals that get smothered in ash, I decided to take things in my own hands. I am a general contractor and have access to O/A torches, grinders, Mig, Tig, and electrode welders.

I found a 275 gallon oil tank in excellent condition. My plan was to cut in and fab a series of drawers across the bottom of the cooker. Coals to hot? Pull a drawer. Coals need to be re-stoked? Pull a drawer. I used a cooker with this design for the first pig I cooked and it was excellent.

Then I found this place

I still like the drawer system for whole hog. But I am still digesting all the threads here (up to page 150) and I am going to add a fire box and use the grease drip pan as a baffle for a reverse draw system. Just pull all the drawers out, open up the cut off plate in front of the port for the fire box and open the plate on the chimney stack and I have a smoker.

If I engineer everything right and can develop enough sq in passage from the fire box to the smoker, is there any reason I can't use a wood burner? It would help with the trailer layout. I figured on using double wall insulated pipe to channel from the fire box to the smoker.

As long as the doors over the drawer system are gasketed, I don't see how this would be a problem. I should be able to develop plenty of draw for the smoke.

I think I could end up with a unique dual purpose pig cooker and reverse draw smoker.

Any thoughts?

I am very glad I found this sight and greatly appreciate the neat things like calculators and informative design threads. This is an excellent resource, thanks for the information so far.

Traijin
roscoe1960
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19 10 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the smoke ring traijin Very Happy can't wait to see pics of your build.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19 10 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring traijin, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks, and following your cooker build. Smile
I think you have a solid plan on your multi-purpose cooker. You have already used one with the drawer set up and now you can implement that into your own build. I will be watching for more updates. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
traijin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21 10 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I have located a wood burner now and looked into the sizes needed per the calculation sheet. The calculator states I would need a 9" round pipe for box to cooker. I did a little hunting and can only find insulated stove pipe through 8". I don't want to restrict anything, if this is my only option, I may need to force aspirate (fan) the coals. I am not a tin knocker and I can't really see fabing up something round in the length I need.

Other than that, just need to find a used boat trailer and I am off to the races . I had originally planned to use a Harbor Freight trailer set for 1720 lbs at 4' by 8' but now I think that may not leave enough room for future expansion. Not to mention, I have never been pleased with the quality of anything bought from that establishment.
PhilipWicker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21 10 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now would be a good time for me to ask a question that I ask myself a lot. I come a cross a lot of rigs around NC that don't use a firebox. That just have little doors on each end that they feed little bits of coals into. Technically, that's a direct heat cook. If so, how do all these Carolina BBQ guys get their pork so tender? I use an offset and get great results from it. I could never really see myself using a Carolina style direct heat unit. If someone could elaborate on that and explain the differences, origins, pros and cons, I would really appreciate it.
traijin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21 10 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cooker I used this year for a whole hog was designed with the two little doors. It had a grease pan that took up a vast majority of the size of the grate. It was more of a modified direct cooking style. I had to shovel charcoal in and spray water on the coals when it got to cool or too hot. It was labor intensive to maintain the 200-225 that I wanted. But in the end the pig was fabulous and so was the four chickens I stuffed inside it. I know I hit the pulled pork I want when I can simply grab a rib bone and pull it loose with little effort and the bone is clean. The tenderloins were also incredible.

But I do not want to stay awake and attentive for such long stretches anymore, every time I had to mess with the grill cost me 15 to 45 minutes of extra cook time. I could spend so much less time and effort if I can get the cooker/smoker to do things the way I want. Which is why I am here.

Traijin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: