FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much to pay help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17 10 6:22 pm    Post subject: How much to pay help Reply with quote

This is a little different situation since they are family, young and no busines
experience. I have told them I wanted to work a year to gather and see if they really wanted to do this type work and then I would sell them the business. I am retired and don't really have to do this but I have built the reputation and business up to a point I just don't want to shut it down. I wanted to keep it going with them and I committed to work with them until they are on their feet.

I told them I would pay them a % of sales and this is where we are. I want to be fair but I still have to pay off some start up costs be fore I turn it over to them.

I am rambling but if anyone has a 2cents on this subject on structuring this kind of deal I would be interested in hearing it.

Thanks
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19 10 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make the sale worth my hard work. You have busted your butt to get your biz to where it is. I know of 2 concession people that sold-out last year (not bbq) 1 sold his for what he thought the value of the trailer an equipment were worth. The other familiy sold theirs as a business that they had scratch built from the ground up over. 20 year period.
Think about it, your selling something that has been a part of you for years now. Just my thought, best wishes on what ever you do.
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19 10 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it to them now, train them and have them pay you a easy monthly installment up to the amount you want, after all they are you're family..
Jerk Pit Master
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19 10 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay help $10 per hour or $100 max for a full day of vending, plus tips.

Key help get an additional bonus if it is a good vending event.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20 10 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also add a bonus to be split between the help over X amount of sales.makes the help want to up-sell to get that bonus.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23 10 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Smoke that is exactly what I am doing with them. They are running the show except for the book keeping. That will come later. Sunday, they did a little vending operation all on there own. Moved the equipment back and forth by them selves. Set up Wednesday for 3 day vending job as well as placed an order for supplies. Did a small catering job Wednesday evening for 40 people at $11.50/person. Ran the vending operation on Wed. did right at $1,000. Had two terrible storms to deal with. Developed an electrical short which is a long story, but they dealt with in until I got home Wednesday night. Vended today and sold around $900. 95% by them selves. Got good feed back from the client on there food and service. Moving to county fair next week.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23 10 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic Jim. We are all getting older, or hopefully will someday!

At 47 I'm not quite there yet, but am considering other things to do someday.

Some of the above rates are about right for "general help".

For family, I try to give some extra's whenever possible.

My step-son has been cooking with me since he was 14 or so (he is now 23).

Trouble is, BBQ is a seasonal job for the most part (unless you own a raunt, and here the busy season is seasonal too).

So what do they do for $$$ during the off season?

I have trade skills and make good money on the side during the summer. I'm as busy as I want to be.

Then there is the issue of partners if you decide to keep the business and have them run it.

I don't have one because there isn't enough money in this business to support two families.

I also save money during my busy season, and could take the summer entirely off if I wanted to. Most youngsters can't (or won't) be disciplined enough to do the same

I also agree with Jim (ridge view) that the business should be worth what it is worth regardless of who buys it.

From the sounds of it your crew is coming along nicely.

Best of luck with your plans moving forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: