FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vending in Tennessee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DntBrnDPig
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14 10 7:50 am    Post subject: Vending in Tennessee Reply with quote

I've been doing some contract cooks for friends via Facebook but have been repeatedly asked to vend events or outside of store-owners store's.

I googled "Tennessee Food Code" and have been reading through the 38 page pdf file. Everything looks normal - 3 sink basin with hand washing sink, keeping food above 150* and below 41*.

But then I get to "Temporary Food Service" section and see

"(j) Walls and Ceilings of Food Preparation Areas.
1. Ceilings shall be made of wood, canvas, or other material that protects the interior of the
establishment from the weather. Walls and ceilings of food preparation areas shall be
constructed in a way that prevents the entrance of insects. Doors to food preparation
areas shall be solid or screened and shall be self-closing. Screening material used for
walls, doors, or windows shall be at least 16 mesh to the inch."

Does this mean, your smoker and food prep area all have to be enclosed? How can you vend like this.

I dont have 10k to get a big vending trailer. I planned on modifying a small trailer and putting my Backwoods on it, another grill, prep tables, and sink.

But this looks like I have no shot at getting 'approved' at all.

Anyone in Tennessee that vends?
farmboy236

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14 10 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the county HD that you live in. Everything is subjective until you talk to them! Most (outside of Metro Davidson) are easy to work with and are more than willing to help you figure it out. That's only part of the BS you will have to go through; because you are using it in business your trailer will have to be licensed as a commercial vehicle. That means you will have to show a title, a bill of sale will not work, then you have sales and use tax and your business license. It isn't easy to open a business! It is MUCH easier to go on Welfare. You will also need to have commercial insurance, at least liability. If you go temporary then you will have to renew your license every 14 days ....... at $100 a pop. It just isn't as easy as just selling Que; there are a lot of steps.
Get Your Rub On BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15 10 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to contact your local HD and find out their rules and regs. My trailer has a SPX 300 built into the rear wall, I do not load/unload any product from outside my kitchen area which is a requirement in Shelby Co. Or your porch where the smoker is located has to be screened to avoid flying insect contamination.

There are certain things you'll need to do, but once you're in check with the HD you can pay an annual vending permit fee of $210 good for the state.

A mobile kitchen can get expensive, so if your serious about it start budgeting for it and you will need to have a plan approved by the HD before the build starts.
DntBrnDPig
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15 10 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I want to know how all of these... well... low income people with just a dirty smoker on a trailer do it. They definitely don't have everything screened in.

Gonna call sometime this week and find out.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15 10 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself an ez up and the screened in walls that they have I got mine a wal mart 80ish for the ez and 30ish for the screened in walls for it.The doors on the smoker should be good enough if you set up the prep and sales in the screened in area.you can open the screens etc to serve.the idea is to keep the bugs from crawling all over the food.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
QObsession
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16 10 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dpig that is funny "low income people".. Well they do it like the Guys at the Competitions. Or as I have heard one guy with a Meat pie Wagon it is Called Combat vending. You go in an area were the HD is scared to go, or when they warn you off you never go back..... to that city. As I understand the trick is to keep everything clean. all of your BBQ tools stay in a Tupperware container when not in your hand. All food is covered unless you are serving. Then they feel you are not killing anyone so they just warn you.

I personnel want to be all legal....I don't want to be looking over my shoulder all the time. Remember Murphy's law. wouldn't it be horrible to be vending illegally in a great spot making money every evening after your real job, then the HD shows up and shuts you down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: