FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tips for first smoke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomb'n bbq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08 10 9:21 am    Post subject: tips for first smoke Reply with quote

i fired up my uds to season it the other day and also so i could see how it handled temps. i put in about half a chimney of kingsford briqs (i know i know) and it held 225 for well over an hour before i opened up the rest of the valves and let the temperature rise.

that being said i am going to be doing a couple small butts on friday night for a bbq saturday. should i just use the kingsford briqs i have or should i go get some royal oak lump and use that?

i'm very new to charcoal and could use any tips and advice you all have.

thanks in advance.

Mama turns the leftovers into hash, i'm doin alright for country trash - johnny cash

Last edited by bomb'n bbq on Thu Jul 08 10 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Korbs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08 10 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone to lump for longer smokes since it seems to burn cleaner and not choke itself out. Just one mans opinion.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08 10 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bomb'n bbq, I am not familiar with Kingston briquettes. If you mean Kingsford I never use it in my uprights. I do not like the flavor it produces. I do like R/O charcoal or any other charcoal that is more natural. The burn for me is a bit more stable than lump, especially with briskets. I do use lump when I can attend the cooker but for all nighters I prefer the comfort zone of charcoal.

Hybrid Cooker
bomb'n bbq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08 10 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m

i did mean kingsford haha. i fixed it in the original post.

the only thing i seem to find around me is kingsford, cowboy, stubbs, and royal oak 100% natural charcoal. the bag didn't say "lump" but the tag on the shelf did. i do seem to remember being somewhere a few weeks ago and seeing royal oak briqs but i could be wrong.

i guess my question is should i just stick with the kingsford i have or should i find something different.

Mama turns the leftovers into hash, i'm doin alright for country trash - johnny cash
tnbarbq
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08 10 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love using lump. Check Walmart, many of them carry RO lump. You can also find RO under the name Best Choice. That is carried by many smaller local grocery stores. Good luck on the cook! Be sure to post finished pics.
Brinkman Bullet
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08 10 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bomb'n bbq, I would imagine the R/O your looking at in walmart is lump. It is good lump and will work. You can learn pretty good on Butts because they do alright with temp swings so it is a good thing to practice on with your fuel. If you go the lump route I suggest you hand load your basket to make sure no foreign objects end up in your basket. A lot of times the lump will have fiberglass and other debris in the bags. I always check as I am loading my baskets.

Hybrid Cooker
Grills Gone Wild
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08 10 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

natural charcoal = lump charcoal
Cory Hess
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08 10 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korbs wrote:
I've gone to lump for longer smokes since it seems to burn cleaner and not choke itself out.

I'll second that. I haven't really noticed too much of a difference with the finished product between lump and briquettes, but I will say that on an overnight cook like you're talking about the ash from the Kingsford is going to pile up pretty high. I use Royal Oak Steak House lump and I'd say that I get less than 1/4 of the ash from that than when I'm using Kingsford.

As always, YMMV.

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy."
gbque
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08 10 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get much cleaner and longer burns with lump as well. The only thing I notice is it can sometimes get finicky during the first few hours. Take care with your dispersion of larger and smaller pieces. The brands I use are Wicked Good Weekend Warrior and Groove. Wicked Good is expensive but you get a really dense clean burn. Groove is not quite as expensive and will burn longer than anything else I've used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: