FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot Smoked Salmon Dip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28 10 9:54 am    Post subject: Hot Smoked Salmon Dip Reply with quote

So, this weekend I smoked some salmon for a family get together. I really worked to keep the temp down at the suggested 180degF, and this time I managed to pull it off (where as usually it runs around 225 when I smoke in the weber kettle). Unfortunately though I didn't like the result!!

Hmmm... what do I do with this dried out salmon... I'm supposed to bring an appetizer.... Salmon pate? hmmm... google search... that looks good... that looks good... what if I do this... yep, that's it.

So, here's the result (a modified version of a FoodNetwork recipe):

(note: this is from memory, everything is approximate).

Dip:
8oz cream cheese
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 Tbs EVOO
1-3 tsp kosher salt
8-10 grinds of black pepper
1-3 tsp chipolte powder (adjust to get the heat you want. I went for just feeling it in the back of the throat).
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2-3 + 1 Tbs finely minced red onion
1 + 1 Tbs capers
several sprigs of dill
8 + 3 oz of hot smoked salmon

Mix cream cheese, sour cream, evoo, salt chipolte (reserve some to adjust heat later), lemon juice, and 8 oz of the salmon. Puree until smooth with a stick blender (pop in the microwave a moment to soften the cheese a bit). mince the remaining salmon and add it along with onion, capers, and minced dill. mix thoroughly and test the flavor. Adjust the heat, but know that some heat will develop as it sits. Chill overnight. sprinkle with remaining red onion and capers right before serving.

I served it with some toasted thin slices of baguette (1/4" thick) brushed with this:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbs Parmesan/Romano
3 Tbs Evoo

Mix it all up and blend with the stick blender, brush on the baguette and toast in the oven at 400deg. (careful, don't let it burn)

Tons of complements on this, and I have to say it kicked ass!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Seafood Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: