FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low & Slow - Master the Art of Barbecue in 5 Easy Lesson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garry
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 05 09 4:04 am    Post subject: Low & Slow - Master the Art of Barbecue in 5 Easy Lesson Reply with quote

The author, Gary Wiviott, is a longtime Internet friend and the ultimate foodie. Regardless of the cuisine or ingredient, Gary knows the best place in Chicago to eat it or get it. One of the things on my bucket list is to experience a culinary tour of Chicago led by Gary. He has a passion for food that is unmatched and refuses to settle for less than the best.

Gary's quest for the best became focused on barbecue when he aquired a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker a few years ago. He set out on a quest to master the basics of barbecue cooking. Gary appreciates simplicity and he constantly took others to task on the online forums for unnecessarily complicating a cooking technique, that he saw as the ultimate in simplicity, with overly complex rubs, sauces, marinades and gadgets.

He experimented obssessively to learn the techniques that would consistently produce world class barbecue by mastering the basic techniques of fire control, cooker control, and knowing when the barbecue meat is properly done. In this book Gary shares what he has learned over the past 10 years by laying out 5 easy lessons using inexpensive backyard equipment, that if followed, will allow even the most novice cook to move up from grilling to true, low and slow cooked, barbecue that will be the envy of their friends and family.

I have seen a lot of barbecue books and I say without hesitation that this is the first true barbecue how-to book ever published. But don't think Gary's book is only for the novice. It includes numerous tried and true recipes as well as advice on developing your own signature rubs, sauces and marinades. There are numerous tips, techniques and nuggets of wisdom that will benefit even the most experienced and jaded barbecue cook. I highly recommend this book as an essential addition to any barbecue bookshelf.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0762436093?tag=thesmokering-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=0762436093&adid=1H8RGS6HSKM3KZF3Z2NT&
ortugger

PostPosted: Fri May 22 09 8:04 am    Post subject: Good Program Reply with quote

I am a smoker newbie, grill vet and sometimes an ambitious reader. I have found "low and slow" to be a well thought out and clearly conveyed walk down the path of BBQ. Best of the first few books I bought on the subject. I am still waiting on my cooker, bought a used Klose back yard chef smoker that is already well trained in KC....now figuring out how to get it home to Oregon so I have not been able to put the lessons to the fire yet, but I am sure with Gary's advice there will be a smooth transitions from rib eye, chicken, sausage, and burgers to brisket, pork butt, and racks of ribs. Looking forward to my final exam and farther studies.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27 09 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about half way thru the book and have enjoyed it so far. It took me a while to get used to Wiviott's style. He is opinionated to say the least....at times to the point of being obnoxious

I have not tried his kiss method of lighting the smoker (as opposed to the minion method). He also recommends after the smoke is finished to keep the vents wide open to let the fire burn out instead of shutting the vents down. And to store the smoker vents open to keep from mold and rust building up. I always shut the vents to choke the fire out and stored vents closed.

One thing I don't like is the color used in the printing. For us over forty close to fifty types its way to light. It looks like when your printer cartridge is starting to run out of ink. You can make out the words but its hard to see. Not sure why they went with so light a color of ink.

--jeepdad
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27 09 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy Peace love and BBQ by Mike Mills, best book I have ever read

I could say more but I don't have to
Boohman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10 09 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book is great for the novice (like me). His system has been fool proof so far. I've had nothing but success from following his recipes and advise. This book inspired my wife and I to get into Smokin' with slow and steady progress. Between the tips I've gleaned lurking around here and this book I have never ate better in my life. We had about the best chicken ever, awesome ribs and will cook a Boston Butt soon.
Weber Smoky Joe x2
yaddayaddayadda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17 09 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good cookbook. As others have said, it's a great resource, but I did get a bit tired of Wiviott's shtick. I'm not a three year old, and I do not wish to be talked down to. If I choose to smoke with briquettes (natural) or use a meat thermometer, I guarantee my barbecue will be as good as anyone who strictly follows his methods.

I've incorporated some of his techniques into mine, but there's more than one right way to do something.
drewc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18 09 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not finished it yet, but it seems to be a pretty informative book. I will agree with you jeepdad.......................he is OPINIONATED!!!!!
miked.bbq

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27 09 11:03 am    Post subject: low and slow. Reply with quote

I like most of what I have read, but I do agree that there is more than one way to bbq. I learn at least a couple of new tricks out of every bbq book I buy. And thats what keeps me buying new bbq books. I really like smoke and spice. I have had complete success with every recipe out of that book.
gsmckee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01 10 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked this up the other day and read it through in one afternoon. When I looked at it in the bookstore I picked up on the author's "attitude" but decided to buy it anyway. I figured that I could always take it back.

That said I don't think I will. From the point of view of technique it is pretty solid. I know my way around a smoker and don't consider myself a novice by any stretch of the imagination. That said I'm no pro either (yet). You are never too old to learn and sometimes it is good to get back to basics. From that point of view the book was great. It strips a lot of extraneous material away and provides a good framework in which to learn. I've been able to identify where I can make a few improvements to how I cook.

What kept getting in the way was the author's opinions and attitude. It was so strong that it actually detracted from the book. Some degree of opinion is to be expected of course but too much is too much.

I guess it comes down to whether I would recommend this book to others... I probably would. The material is good material when you get past the "attitude" and it mellows out near the end of the book which is consistent with the "student" getting to graduation.
Russell123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14 10 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read the book and found it good book on cooking and good ideas of cooking well introduce in it. i like it. i suggest that everybody should read this book.
vesteroid

PostPosted: Wed May 19 10 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked it up and have to admit I love the book and his style.

I am no bbq chef, heck I do this for fun, and love every minute of it.

Here is my take...there may be lots of different ways to bbq. He is simply saying do his way, 100% of the time as you are learning (doing) your 5 lessons. Do exactly what he says and only what he says, and if you do, he will guarantee your results.

To me its simple, do it his way first, see the positive results, then change all you want but be prepared to accept the results of your changes.

I wish more people were like this, I get frustrated when I see people making up their own rules as they go along and then complaining the system didnt work.

I highly recommend this book, I cant think of a better way to start. he covers equipment, charcoal, meat selection, rubs and marinades, and even how to set your vents, and how long to cook.

BTW its available on Kindle for 10 bucks
u63405
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 26 10 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Agree whole heartedly!! Great Book, Great Read and most important SOLID!!
thooks
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05 10 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find nothing wrong with his "style".

I kinda see it like he does... I think the US would probably be a little better off right now if many of the citizens didn't need to be sweet talked.

Preach on, Gary!
Char Cole BBQ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18 10 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a copy and read it in 2 days. It was very interesting to read and he has some good points and techniques. I was prewarned about his writing style from reading the reviews, so I knew what to expect. I have no problems with his writing style at all. If you want to follow his lessons, he wants you to do it just like he says and if you do, then he guarantees the results. If you don't and it comes out bad, then its your own fault.

I've been BBQ'n for 4 years and want to take my skills up a notch, so I thought his book is perfect for me. Its always good to practice the basics of any task to get better. I do like the fact that he teaches you to cook with your instincts and not gadgets.

This is a must read for anyone wanting to learn to Q or anyone wanting to improve your skills. I'm starting my first lesson today and can't wait to eat the results.

BTW, he's not a fan of sweet Q so he introduces you to a different style more southwest type of spices.
Rockpyle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20 10 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in the "not a fan" category.

I read through the book and liked some of the ideas, especially the basic premise of learning to control your fire and the rest will come naturally.

I approach this hobby as I do many things. I try to read as much as possible about the subject and get a feel for the general lay of the land. Understanding different views on a subject lead to greater understanding, in my opinion. Also, understanding the science behind something helps to separate the important stuff from the 'legendary' stuff.

His attitude of "read no other books' really turned me off.

I will admit, though, that he introduced me to the woderful Mojo Crijollo marinades.

Rock

Homebrewing and Barbecue Extraordinaire!
Porter321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22 10 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thooks wrote:
I find nothing wrong with his "style".

I kinda see it like he does... I think the US would probably be a little better off right now if many of the citizens didn't need to be sweet talked.

Preach on, Gary!

I m also agree with you and have same comment and I find nothing wrong with his "style" Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookbooks All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: