FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small Trailer Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07 13 10:27 am    Post subject: Small Trailer Build Reply with quote

When I joined this forum in "08" I though, Why do these guys have so many cookers and who need a trailer Rolling Eyes. AHHH now I'm one of you... Shocked So I convinced myself to build a cooker for the Annual Pig Roast and make it mobile just in case. I found the Unicorn of tanks for the main chamber. I got it on C.L. and when I rolled it over the tag said 5/16 wall thickness Very Happy and it was built in 1947. So I figured it was at retirement age and what better way to end a career. I calculate it to be 120gal. I also am adding a 36" BBQ grill that I bought at clearance from Lowes 6 years ago.

Click on the thumb below to see what I've completed so far. I hope some of the Veterans will chime in. I don't want to miss anything or turn this into a Rube Goldberg machine. Smile

Disco
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07 13 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awning Guy, looking awesome so far. Very Happy I am loving the intakes on the firebox. Cool I will be watching for more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07 13 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liking it already and it's looking way thought out. +1 on the intakes. Very Happy
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08 13 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as always sweet work you are doing.

+2 on the intakes.
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09 13 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. Thanks, I appreciate all your help. I should have a update next weekend.

Wreckless Thanks, I spent way too much time making sure the square inch opening was correct. You only got to do it once though.Wink

Maniac Thanks, Man. Always good to here from a Veteran builder.
Disco
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09 13 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awning Guy, looking good. Very Happy

How could you wonder why someone needs another cooker? Rolling Eyes Laughing
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13 13 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG, your build is turning out nice man, its going to make a clean rig for sure.

I will say, and this is just my personal thoughts and preferences, so please no offence...but Very Happy when you weld a tongue on like you have by butting it up to the frame and welding it compared to it being one piece with the frame or welded underneath the frame, I feel it makes for a weak point in the trailer. Again, my thoughts, but the point where the tubing is welded to the frame for the tongue will be a stress point while driving down the road. Chances are great that you will never have an issue and no worries, but taking abuse from the road and welds can crack or give. IMO its a weak point. You might think about adding a gusset or brace of some type eliminate the possibility of any issues.

Again, just me and my practices, but something to consider.

JM2CW
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14 13 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF Oh, I'm on board now. I'm not sure when it happened, but Building them Is almost as fun as cooking on them. Very Happy

T.B. No offense taken, that's why I come to this site. We all have skills we bring to the table and we should help each other out when able. It never dawned on me that this would be a stress point, I certainly don't want to cause an accident. With that being said, here are two fixes I came up with. Please let me know which option would be the best. I would like to do the 1/4" straps on top and bottom because of the storage box, I can burn them out of a solid piece. The other option would be a 6" gusset.

Thanks again for helping me out. Wink

Option 1. 6" gusset.

Option 2. 1/4" plate strap top & bottom
Disco
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14 13 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awning Guy, I am not a big fan of butt welding tongues on either but a lot of companies do it with no problems. If you are confident in your welds and the trailer weight is placed properly then the trailer as a whole should flex equally.
Your option #1 does nothing to strengthen the weld point on the tongue so for me it would be a no go for it.
While your option #2 will encapsulate the weld in question the design is over kill in my opinion.
If I were to approach that area as a weak point I would most likely fish plate the outside, bending the plate to the angle of the tubing and letting it run 6" forward and aft.
My second option would be to run a strong back again bent in the angle of the tube and placed under the weld point.
In my opinion depending on what you have planned for the front as far as weight on that area would determine whether or not I would even worry about doing anything.
These are just my thoughts. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15 13 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.A.M. Thanks for the input. I didn't get much done today Due to the last day of school. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I did however, weld some samples and and had the guys in the Welding Lab put them in there tester and the welds were good. Although I'm not a welder by trade, I'm confident that the trailer will hold.

I like your idea about the plates on the side to tie everything together. i think I'll do this just to be safe.
Disco
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15 13 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awning Guy, you can cut the corners off the plates to give it a squared end diamond look. Once on and welded out it will look more of a purpose rather than a patch.

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15 13 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Awning Guy, you can cut the corners off the plates to give it a squared end diamond look. Once on and welded out it will look more of a purpose rather than a patch.

+1 Awning Guy, I had a repair on a trailer that was tongue light and need to be extended. k.a.m. suggested the fish plates there as well. It wasn't my welds that I had doubt on, it was the design. The fish plates were the confidence factor that I needed. And yah, they looked like they were born to be there rather than the fix that it was. JM2CW
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16 13 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG, I will agree with k.a.m. that your first option wont do anything for the strength of the tongue. Myself, I would do a portion of your option 2. I would weld the 1/4 plate strap on the bottom of the trailer only and not worry about doing it on the top. This route would suffice plenty in tying the trailer frame and tongue rail together and it would also be hidden for the most part on the bottom. I feel that with your size of trailer and its use, you don't need a lot of added material there, hell, you more than likely don't need any, but a simple 1/4" strap on the bottom tying then two pieces together like that would provide all the support you would need IMO.
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18 13 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.A.M., Wreckless & T.B Thanks for the advice. I will add the fix and know one will know. Cool I"ll also post an update tomorrow of the side burners and stand. My buddy manages a company that manufactures all types of burners and he hooked me up. Stay tuned.
Disco
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22 13 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a few hours in on the build today. I'm still waiting for my Buddy to burn out some of my parts so I can get started on the main cooker. Hopefully, in between the Holidays he'll finish them.
I plan on putting diamond plate on three sides to enclose the burner stand. I'm also going to add a little folding table on the left side for my spoons and stuff. One more feature I'm working on is a foldaway table top so I have some extra work space when its not in use.

Disco
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22 13 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awning Guy you are getting a little of the small time consuming stuff done which is always good Very Happy

very nice plumbing work you have started.

looking forward to more pics.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26 13 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awning Guy, I like the burner set up it looks fantastic. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27 13 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac The details take a bunch of time but it should show in the end result.

KAM Thanks Man. Nothing like 60k BTU jet burner to get the party cook'in

I got some more done today. Mostly de burring the parts my Buddy Plasma cut for me. I should start the warmer box this weekend. I decided to skin the burner stand with polished alum plate from the scrap yard.

As I mentioned, I want to add a folding shelf for utensils. I'm tron whether to do a small one off the side or a bigger one off the front? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Machined the valve stems to accept a water hose bib handle.

30 pack of Coors Lite got the plate bent for me.

Disco
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29 13 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG, that is looking nice. I like the burner set up. Ill be looking for more pics Very Happy
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30 13 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TB Thanks Man.... I'll have some more pics of the burners next week.

I got a little more done this weekend. The warmer box is all tacked together and ready to weld to the firebox. As soon as I can get another set of hands I'll mount the tank on the trailer.

Disco
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: