FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vending fees for fairs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dietzy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16 10 11:32 am    Post subject: Vending fees for fairs Reply with quote

What are you guys seeing (paying) for vending fees at larger fairs (county, state fairs)?

I am looking into a fair later this year and to me the fee is high, and is also a little strange. The fee is 18% of gross sales (wow). I flat out asked the person I was talking to, "with cash sales how do you know what sales are?" Her response was "you wouldn't lie to us."

What are your ideas?

Rob
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16 10 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my area Norfolk Ne. its common to pay 15% of your gross sales. I have not done any Fairs but this is what i`m told. At car shows & other festivals I have seen & paid $ 100 & up to $250 a day.
As far as knowing sales count, i imagine one could count the plates or paper trays to get how much you sell. Or know how many servings per pound you can get out of what you sell.
Like 3 rib bones for $5.00 count the bones in your ribs etc....
So many pounds of pulled pork, 3 - 5 oz servings per pound etc...
Sharpen your pencil is about all i do. I would think that if you give them a "fair estimate" of your sales they wouldn't/couldn`t complain.
bigcountry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16 10 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in GA the fees vary a great bite

Our local county fair (that draws about 120k people in 10 days) is 20% of your gross for our 40' x 40' spot

A neighboring county fair is a $500 flat fee for the space and $200 for the power, The HD charges $325. for the 30'x30' spot (this draws about 200k people in ten days)

Most of the others we do are about $100 per linear foot of frontage.

Keep in mind most of the $100 per linear foot events are very large draws and generally only 1 or two days.

As far as tracking the sales, all of our fairs per our contract have the right to review our z tapes from our registers. It would not be a good idea to lie to them if you want to be asked back. Most of these guys have been running fairs and events for a long time and have a pretty good idea what your numbers should be by their attendance. Besides if you believe at all in Karma or are a good person why would you consider not being honest. Doing the right thing in this business can lead to some great opportunities. I can attest to it myself
Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16 10 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our charges run anywhere from $200 flat fee to $150 per day to 105 t0 20% of profit. On those doing the % of profit and they have a form for you to fill out. Haven't done any of these yet. I don't mind paying on gross profit but I wouldn't pay that high on % of of all sales.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16 10 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the fairs I'm doing this year are 200-800.00 per event.but some of the state fairs want 800-2500 per plus 17% gross.So sometimes you can make more from less people.Most either go by your Z tape,have secret shoppers with marked bills or what they are doing around here is selling tickets and you turn in your tickets and pick up a check.And are kicked out if you take cash.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18 10 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:
Most of the fairs I'm doing this year are 200-800.00 per event.but some of the state fairs want 800-2500 per plus 17% gross.So sometimes you can make more from less people.Most either go by your Z tape,have secret shoppers with marked bills or what they are doing around here is selling tickets and you turn in your tickets and pick up a check.And are kicked out if you take cash.

where in the world are they asking those prices from? 800 for an event? i havent seen any prices even close to those here in mn, only place here in the 3 state region(mn, nd, sd) that might want that is the mn state fair, and they havent had a new vendor for years. WOW!
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18 10 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumberjack Days in Stillwater Minnesota wants $2500.00 to vend there.

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Smokin'Roe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20 10 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In York, PA we have the York Fair. It's America's first fair and is a huge event. People start bank accounts in November to save money for next year's fair in September.

I talked to a guy doing bbq there last year, and if I remember correctly, he said he paid a $4000 fee and 15% of his profits for a 10x10 space with a sink a few tables and a pop up canopy. I don't even want to know what the other bbq place paid for having their 25' concession trailer.

Last year was a bad year for the fair but they got about 560,000 people. There are about 125 different food vendors their, so I don't know if it's worth it for that kind of money.
Char-Griller Duo
Cajun Injector Electric
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21 10 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyg wrote:
daddywoofdawg wrote:

where in the world are they asking those prices from? 800 for an event? i havent seen any prices even close to those here in mn, only place here in the 3 state region(mn, nd, sd) that might want that is the mn state fair, and they havent had a new vendor for years. WOW!

How much are you seeing for fees in the ND,MN,SD area?
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21 10 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:
tonyg wrote:
daddywoofdawg wrote:

nothing over $500
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21 10 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyg wrote:
daddywoofdawg wrote:
tonyg wrote:
daddywoofdawg wrote:

nothing over $500

It would have to be mighty lucrative to even pay that, Tony. Up here they pay me to show up!
Here most events are held at the local sports plex park, my reg place to park & vend is at the courthouse across the street from it... Wink
Cheers,
Orval
Frosty
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28 10 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our county fair, you can't vend unless you're a non-profit org. ( Scouts, fire halls, etc.) Sad

Same ol' slop, year after year,after year......
az mike
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29 10 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local Blues Festival invited me to vend, $200 per 10' puts me at $600 set-up fee for my rig. To start a day $1,200 or so in the hole don't seem real fun! They "claim" a gate of 3K but that seems unlikely to me.
dietzy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29 10 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. What I'm hearing from y'all is it may be high but not out of line ( in some parts of the country).

I'm still thinking it over. It is a 4 day fair with a claimed gate of 50,000 -60,000 people. I am looking at the percentage fee as some what of a safety net for me. If I don't do well, the fee is not fixed.

Any help on figuring customers?

This is a well established fair - 100th year (though a far cry from its heyday in the early '90s)
assume 50,000 is accurate, I'm the new kid on the block, but only bbq

How does 3% of gate sound? too high, too low?

Thanks again,
Rob
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30 10 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50K and 3% fee I jump on it.If it rains no lost if it's packed you wouldn't notice 3%.I would just jack my prices up 3% to cover the fees then it's like it's free.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
dietzy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30 10 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg, sorry I switched gears in my last post.

The fee is still 18% of sales.
I am trying to look at numbers. How many customers? I know it is hard to figure , but any help were to start.

I'm thinking 4 day fair, 50,000 gate, my number of customers = 3% of gate.

50,000 x .03 = 1500 customers

Again, I know it is hard for you to guess without knowing the fair, but is this a good starting point?

Thanks
Rob
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30 10 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could live with 1500
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: