FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We just got asked to vend this event.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigcountry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12 10 5:18 am    Post subject: We just got asked to vend this event. Reply with quote

So we have done some large fairs and large events here in Metro Atlanta the past couple of years and we have been asked to vend at the 4th of July at Lenox Square. For those of you unfamliar with this it is the largest fireworks display in the southeast and draws around 200k to sit and watch it. There are only 11 food vendors there onsite (Restaruants around it as well) We cannot use our traditional event fomula of attendance divided by number of vendors, multipled by 20% as this is unique. The audience will be stuck onsite or loose their place. They will be there for hours and some may eat more than once. People will begin getting there early in the day for a spot to sit and watch.

We are keeping our menu simple, very simple but I am trying to keep the volume and speed up.

PP Sammies
Chips
Sweet Tea
Lemonade

We may add an item or two between now and then though

There will be one other BBQ company there that will be selling a wider menu.

We willl run three lines, a person at each line handleing money and one person backing each line doing nothing but keeping the drinks filled and sammies made.

Any suggestions, ideas. How much pork would you prepare if it was you doing this event?

Shoot them my way.

Here is the real kicker to complicate it all. We are also vending at our local 4th fireworks show on 7-2 and that draws about 25k to it. No time to rest barely enough time to get the mobile units moved.
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13 10 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW thats a gigantic event, Good luck and let us know how it went..
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15 10 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to take into account not all will be eating,but with your numbers I came out to around 4600 so if you feel there would be more I would go more than 6000 sales(wow!)More than the total of some of the events I have booked this year!I would throw some ribs in the mix too,easy to cook and ribs and summer go together.How much is the real estate fee?
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
thooks
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15 10 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats.

1. Have bottled water and don't charge an arm and a leg for it. Don't run out.

2. I'd start cooking about midnight the 3rd and hold as much in coolers as possible. Cook all night and all day the 4th. If you want to sell to someone like me, your prices need to be reasonable, otherwise someone like me is going to feed the fam BEFORE we go down there. Like we do before a Braves game.

3. Don't run out of water. Wink

4. Like I said, cook as much as you possibly can and let the good times roll. If I were you, I'd probably try to get a couple more folks lined up to help and relieve congestion. Although lines of people mean it's usually good food, a lot of folks aren't going to wait. In the hot sun.
bigcountry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15 10 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cannot sell Bottled water of soft drinks as the promoter has that gig for himself, that is the reason for sweet tea and lemonade.

The fee structure is a choice on our part. We can pay the flat fee of $100.00 per linear foot of frontage

My set up is 35 feet long so $3500.00 Flat fee

Or

$35 per linear foot and 25% of your gross.

Pros and Cons each way on this one. Gotta keep in minnd the unknown (What if it rains?)

So we have not decided yet if we are going flat fee of $3500.00 or $1225.00 and 25% of the gross.
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15 10 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigcountry wrote:

(What if it rains?)

Check with your insurance agent. We buy rain out ins. for events we are involved in that has a lot of $ exposure.

Quote:
So we have not decided yet if we are going flat fee of $3500.00 or $1225.00 and 25% of the gross.

Is this a promoter event, or sponsored by a civic organization like Rotary, Lions, Chamber of Commerce etc. - fee sounds high
bigcountry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15 10 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fees are right in line with all events we have done that draw this kind of attendance. no issues with the fee.

Rain out insurance is not worth the price you have to pay if you are just a vendor at the event. Rain out insurance is only worth it as a promotor of the event with a lot more to loose then we have at this event.
Jerk Pit Master
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17 10 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never vended or been to one of these events, but I'm assuming the following:

200K may watch, but you probably really only have 50-70K in the vicinity and maybe 5-10K that see you, as the crowds are so dense, no one is moving too far.

That said, I suspect you will sell as much as you can serve, so speed is of the essence.

With such a large frontage space, I'd consider using 10' to sell high profit express/pre-packaged items so people don't have to wait in line long. Items like drinks, fruit cups, salads, chips, Italian Ice, Rib bones.

Good luck!

My limit on vendor fees for a one day event is around $1000.

$3500 is 350-700 customers/items.

How many staff will you have?
thooks
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14 10 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you do?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: