FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long to keep pork or beef above 150

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 30 10 7:57 am    Post subject: How long to keep pork or beef above 150 Reply with quote

being laid off, I read allot of forums, yeah there are other forums out there Wink , I was curious when some of you vend, do you just keep the leftover meat at 150 and serve the next day or how long could you keep it warm say in a cook and hold to keep serving the same meat?

Are you better off freezing and reheating or just keeping it hot or warm above the safe zone?

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 30 10 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How long to keep pork or beef above 150 Reply with quote

kurtsara wrote:
being laid off, I read allot of forums, yeah there are other forums out there Wink , I was curious when some of you vend, do you just keep the leftover meat at 150 and serve the next day or how long could you keep it warm say in a cook and hold to keep serving the same meat?

Are you better off freezing and reheating or just keeping it hot or warm above the safe zone?

Your done vending for the day,you cool your foods.Current food code requires food to cool to 70F within 2 hours, then from 70 to 41F within 4 more hours. How can this be done? Quick-chill methods are the accepted practices for cooling food quickly. Ice bathing food, use of ice wands, or storing food in shallow layers are a few of the methods that will facilitate quicker cooling of food. Ice bathing is a process where a stock pot of hot food is placed into ice water. Ice wands are filled with water, frozen, then used to place into hot food. Combining these methods, ice bathing while stirring food with an ice wand, provides very effective cooling for soups and sauces. When cooling in the walk-in cooler, keep food containers shallow and uncovered in the coldest part of the cooler, where there is good air circulation. Use of metal pans is recommended to transfer cold to the food. Food should never be placed in a reach-in or preparation refrigerator to cool. This equipment is designed only to hold cold food cold, not to cool hot food. During the cooling process, stirring or rotating food also quickens food cooling.Because cooling food is generally an out of sight, out of mind process, using a time/temperature log will help to keep employees and yourself aware that food is in the cooling process. Log forms are a useful tool and can be utilized for cooling foods as well as other food items (hot holding, cold holding, storage) and refrigerators.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 30 10 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what would a guy do say if you are vending something huge like Sturgis bike rally and it's is not as busy as you thought it would be but the party goes on all day and night for a week, can you keep serving the food as long as it never went below 140 or does the meat get bad or mushy or something else?

I am just curious how some guess how much to make at one time and still keep the meat sellable

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 30 10 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure how many will be there take 10% and make enough to serve that number per day,and start cooking long cook stuff like butts for the next day.if you keep the food hot to long the quality goes down hill,dries out,gets mushy,and turns to jerky.with BBQ when it's out it's out.but you can time your cooking so as your running out new is coming up.
Say your going to need 20 butts that day.and each but takes 12 hrs to cook(wish)and you serve from 11am-12am (13 hrs),
You put on the day before.
4 butts(any amount)at 10pm-done @ 10am
2@11pm-11am
2@12am-12pm
4@1am-1pm
1@2am-2pm
3@3am-3pm
2@4am-4pm
2@5am-5pm
Each hr you have fresh ready and have sold (hopefully)the last batch.The end of the evening you cool and reheat last nites and mix it with the fresh and some AJ and juices.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Brian Briggs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 30 10 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make a bunch in advance, vacum seal and refrigerate. Then as needed, re-heat bags in hot water. I received that advice on this forum for a pre cook that I was doing and it came out great.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 31 10 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works too.If you have the reefer space.and can get the damn vacuum bags to seal.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Bluegrass BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 31 10 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where your profit is made or lost. There are a number of situations to review. I don't think there is any one simple answer. Just today I finished up a four day event. I cooked some of my butts to 180 and put it hot holding cabinet over night. some I put up at 165. I had a total of 12 butts. I sold the last sandwich at 10:00 PM and it was as good at the one I sold at 11:00 am. Everything was held at 200 until done and then held at 160 until used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: