FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charcoal Basket for Char-Griller w/SFB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark55

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03 10 8:12 am    Post subject: Charcoal Basket for Char-Griller w/SFB Reply with quote

In reading up on using my new cooker, I have seen mention made of charcoal baskets to use in the SFB when smoking. Someone mentioned the grill wok that is sold at Lowes. i Looked at it and it doesn't seem to be large enough. Course, I don't know that for sure being new to all of this. I joined another forum called the Barbecue Bible. I am still awaiting my email so as to become an actual member. Anyways they have this picture and it looks awesome. Anyone here know anything about it?
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=191806&sid=bbd07b4364f427a8a82b95eaa0557095
OldBob
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03 10 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's " expanded #9 steel. Take a 2'x2' piece, cut 6" squares out of each corner and bend the sides up. Works great.

Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/Mods.
Char-Griller Outlaw

Maverick Redi-Chek ET-73
Remote Smoker Thermometer
bam
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04 10 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the charcoal ring from my wsm.
Shortchubbyguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07 10 7:21 am    Post subject: What's the purpose Reply with quote

What's the purpose of using a basket in the SFB? I use lump charcoal in mine without a basket and have no trouble getting the temps I want. Will it save me on the amount of coal that I use?
OldBob
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07 10 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What's the purpose Reply with quote

Shortchubbyguy wrote:
What's the purpose of using a basket in the SFB? I use lump charcoal in mine without a basket and have no trouble getting the temps I want. Will it save me on the amount of coal that I use?

Longer burn times and the ability to dump the ash without disturbing the coals.

Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/Mods.
Char-Griller Outlaw

Maverick Redi-Chek ET-73
Remote Smoker Thermometer
Smokin'Roe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07 10 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Charcoal Basket for Char-Griller w/SFB Reply with quote

Char-Griller Duo
Cajun Injector Electric
Smokin'Roe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07 10 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on BBQ Bible also and saw the same articles. I don't remember which one it was but they recommended the Char-Broil Stainless Steel Shaker Basket from Lowe's.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_188821-451-4984108_0_?productId=1053895&Ntt=grill basket&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=grill basket

Lop off the hoops on the end, cut a few "+" out of the bottom to let ashes fall thru and put 4 bolts about 3-4" long to let it reston the lip of the SFB and you can cook all day and empty your ashes without disturbing your fire.

I like it so much I bought another CG SFB to put on my Brinkmann Smoke-N-Grill and got rid of the POS that came with it.
Char-Griller Duo
Cajun Injector Electric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: