FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WSM fuel usage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 4:11 am    Post subject: WSM fuel usage Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm running my maiden voyage for the new 22.5" WSM. I really like it. Much better quality than my knock off wsm I got a sears (though it was not bad for $65 or $70).

I picked up a deboned butt yesterday (7.5lbs) and cut it in two for faster cooking. It's going along with two foil bread pans of beans and 1-1/2 lbs of jalapenos and assorted other peppers for making powdered seasonings. It's been going along nicely since 9AM - 225 to 250 all day. Now at 4pm I seem to be running out of fuel and the temp is dropping even with vents all open. I piled up the remaining scattered coals in an attempt to make the burn a little hotter and more efficient.

I started with nearly an entire back of Royal Oak (maybe 1.5 chimneys worth had been used on the Performer for other cooking duties). As I added the fuel I thought there would be more than enough, but it seems like I'm going to have to finish in the oven at this rate (I'm finally past 170 in the meat so I can push it along in the oven ok I think).

So, is it just the RO that I'm using? or does it just take that much more fuel in the bigger smoker? At this rate I'm going to be able to justify getting a pallette of "Wicked Good" (I love that stuff - by far the best I've used - but at $20 a bag retail it's too rich for my blood).

And, just because I've been around here enough to know "Pics or it didn't happen":

Family portrait:
\

day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Big WSM is 50% larger by volume than its little brother, and does have a bit of notoriety wrt fuel consumption. It probably doesn't matter what kind of fuel you use, it's going to use a lot more than the 18"er.

I'd stick with lump for a number of reasons, not the least of which would be fighting the inevitable briquette ash problem because of all the fuel you'll need to pile up...

Cheers!
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, what day_trippr said.
I don't know on mine's bigger bother, but from what I have heard and read you definitely use more fuel.
I always use Lump. Less ash to plug up the workings.
Your cook does look good though. UMMM pig candy. My favorite.
There are a bunch of variables you didn't tell us about.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did get the temp back up by rearranging all the coals into a pile, but just barely. I ended up wrapping an popping them in the oven. Came out ok, not my best by far. I pushed it too fast in the oven and it didn't pull well. Nice smoke ring though and decent flavor.

It was a warm day here with no breeze to speak of, so I think I'm just going to have to stock up on lump. (Once you've gone to lump you just can't go back!). I did read somewhere that the first few cooks might use a lot of fuel because the walls of the smoker aren't well coated and heat transfer is high

The beans came out AWSOME!! and super easy too:
Quote:
1/3lb each black eyed peas, navy bean, and black bean
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
1/2 cup SBR's BBQ sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 Tbs kosher salt
(I'd have added some smoked powdered peppers for a little bite but they weren't done yet and last years batch was gone Crying or Very sad)

Sort and soak the beans overnight on the counter. After 12+ hours pitch the soak water and put 'em in a pot with 2" water over top. Boil until tender (about 45 minutes or so). Drain (reserve the liquid). Mix in the ingredients up and replace the reserved liquid until the beans are covered. Place in the smoker under a butt to collect some drippings. After a while pull them out from under the butt and spoon off excess fat (leave a little Laughing ). Smoke 'em for 6-8 hours. If they start to look like they are drying out foil over the tops and add a little water if needed.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% on the WG lump and the PRICE Shocked It is good stuff and what I used because that was all I could get except Cowboy around here.

Wally World started stocking RO lump this year and for the price it can't be beat IMO. I have had minimal issues with the strange objects thus far in the RO bags. (knock on wood) Wink

Cheers YMMV

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nes_matt, I always use more fuel in our 22.5'' than in the 18.5''. I just have an extra bag on hand and open the door and throw some more in when needed. You are pretty much on the mark with 6.5 to 7 hrs. burn time on a ring. That is what ours gets using R/O charcoal.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: