FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to foil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Tone
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 22 10 6:38 pm    Post subject: How to foil? Reply with quote

The outlaws are coming over today for supper and i plan on throwing six racks of BB's on just after lunch to join two butts and a brisket that have been going since 4 am. Normally I smoke BB's 3.5-4 hrs with no foil. This usually turns out good, but today i want to try the 2-1-1 method and foil the 3rd hour to make sure i get that "fall of the bone tenderness".

My question: Is there any difference between wrapping each rack separately or using a large foil pan and covering it tight? Seems using a pan would lesson the down time.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a pan and foil will probably take longer to create the effect that foiling an individual rack does. My thoughts are that you have a bigger mass of meat to cook with the steam, you also have a bigger air mass that needs to get to the steaming point. Im not a scientist. Shocked
Big Tone
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Unfortunately, I'm 15 minutes into the pan thing. Hope it turns out OK. Sad
Chicago Smoker

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 4:22 am    Post subject: foil/pan Reply with quote

Big Tone,
I like the 2-2-1 method foiling for 2 hours. Thats what I'm doing today with my 1st pork butt ever. Let us know if you could tell the difference with the foil pan thing. Good luck,

GO VOLS!
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: foil/pan Reply with quote

Chicago Smoker wrote:
Big Tone,
I like the 2-2-1 method foiling for 2 hours. Thats what I'm doing today with my 1st pork butt ever. Let us know if you could tell the difference with the foil pan thing. Good luck,

GO VOLS!

There is really no need to foil a butt or put it in a pan. And if your only cooking that butt for 5 hours, your not going to be pulling it. Butts need to go to *180 for slicing, and *195-*205 for pulling/shredding. At the 5 hour mark depending on how much it weighs and your cooking temps you will be at *120-*140 maybe a lil more. Shocked
Chicago Smoker

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant thats what I'm doing with my ribs today while I'm cooking my 1st pork butt. 2-2-1 for baby backs. Planning on 6-8 with the pork butt. Not going to foil it until I put in the cooler for an hour.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Smoker wrote:
I meant thats what I'm doing with my ribs today while I'm cooking my 1st pork butt. 2-2-1 for baby backs. Planning on 6-8 with the pork butt. Not going to foil it until I put in the cooler for an hour.

Wink
Andy Reese
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not foil ribs butts are foiled at 180 and held until 200 also they hold well in foil when they are done before you are ready leave them in foil on the coolest part of your cooker the meat will fall apart
A&A BBQ
Chicago Smoker

PostPosted: Sun May 23 10 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a long way to go been on 5 hours and at 130. Just lit the fire to keep warm outside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: