FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is your refrigerator running?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokelahoma
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: May 18 2010    Post subject: is your refrigerator running? Reply with quote

can someone explain to me how your refrigerator is set up? is it running all the time, like when your are driving? if it is running while driving, how do you do it? i've seen dual fuel rv refrigerators, but not commercial ones.

thanks for any insight you can provide.
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 18 2010    Post subject: Re: is your refrigerator running? Reply with quote

smokelahoma wrote:
can someone explain to me how your refrigerator is set up? is it running all the time, like when your are driving? if it is running while driving, how do you do it? i've seen dual fuel rv refrigerators, but not commercial ones.

Generator?

2 Ole Hickory CTO's
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 18 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same question running around in my head and have been looking into a power inverter instead of a generator. Like one of these.

http://www.theinverterstore.com/the-inverter-store-product.php?model=pwrinv180012w

I'm still educating myself on load requirements and how long I can run my fridge on a 12 volt, or two 6 volt batteries. I should rarely need back up power for more than a couple of hours.

If I remember correctly, Harry uses an inverter, but I'm not sure what all he is running with it.

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

This is my next set up.................

Power backup!

Saw one in the store and it looks very durable.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

Alien BBQ wrote:
This is my next set up.................

Power backup!

Saw one in the store and it looks very durable.

That is sweet, Alien. I looked at the bigger one for my mobile home. Not a bad price, turn off the grid during the day and turn it back on at night.
Thanks for the post.....

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
smokelahoma
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: May 19 2010    Post subject: Re: is your refrigerator running? Reply with quote

kurtsara wrote:
smokelahoma wrote:

Generator?

do you run a generator while you are driving, is that safe and legal?
kurtsara
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 19 2010    Post subject: Re: is your refrigerator running? Reply with quote

smokelahoma wrote:
kurtsara wrote:
smokelahoma wrote:

Generator?

do you run a generator while you are driving, is that safe and legal?

That is what I plan on doing, if the generator is outside I don't see why it wouldn't be safe or legal

2 Ole Hickory CTO's

Last edited by kurtsara on May 19 2010; edited 1 time in total
tonyg
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 19 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

how far are you traveling that you would need to have it on? mine are off, and go on 1st thing when i arrive at an event. we do carry a generator, but only use it if we have issues with getting shore power. i can not think of an event we do without power provided.
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

Lots of folks are comfortable going 3-4 hrs with no power on,on the festival circuit I haven't see too many folks (besides us) using a generator, we run a small one with cords plugged into the trailer and box truck 2fridges and 2 freezers. But I wouldn't see how going an hour or two w/o would be a problem.
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
SoEzzy
BBQ Super All Star

When I first saw the title of this thread, I muttered, "then run after it", under my breath, but you guys are too serious, so as no one made the comment I feel forced to!

It's not my fault, you guys forced the issue! Embarassed Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

I still work here!
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro

Ridge View BBQ wrote:
Lots of folks are comfortable going 3-4 hrs with no power on, on the festival circuit..
But I wouldn't see how going an hour or two w/o would be a problem.

Probably not a problem for an hour, or so, if you're not opening it much, but 3 or 4? I'd have to be concerned and my inspector would NOT like to see my fridge temp above 40 F.
I will be vending road side and will at times need some kind of backup power for the fridge, or revert to a cooler full of ice.

Would freezing a few gallon jugs of water and putting them in the lower compartment help to hold temps down?

I was hoping that some one that knows something about batteries and inverters would chime in and help me figure out how long I can expect to run a 1500 watt load on a good car battery.

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
tonyg
BBQ Pro

id be comfortable for 3-4 if i was traveling down the road and it wasnt being opened.. my 'travel fridge' is an nsf commercial model, insulated well. cant remember the model/make.

1500 watts p=i*e
1500w = i * 120v
i = 12.5 amps

my fridge calls for a 20a circuit. is yours a commercial model?
a 1500w converter wouldnt run most commercial models.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

I have had frozen product stay frozen overnite(not on purpose cord got unplugged)but how does a motorhome fridge stay cold?12V power?I think for a few hrs in the fridge if it is already cold or frozen you should be fine,keep the door closed.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro

We unplug ours until we arrive, usually an hour or so.
But if you're wanting info regarding inverters here's a link.

For a fridge your inverter will need to be connected directly to a battery and you may need a higher capacity battery than standard.

http://www.dcacpower.com/
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

tonyg wrote:
id be comfortable for 3-4 if i was traveling down the road and it wasnt being opened.. my 'travel fridge' is an nsf commercial model, insulated well. cant remember the model/make.

1500 watts p=i*e
1500w = i * 120v
i = 12.5 amps

my fridge calls for a 20a circuit. is yours a commercial model?
a 1500w converter wouldnt run most commercial models.

Yeah I have a NSF fridge in my truck an trailer,I'm sure they are insulated better than a home fridge,,Like I said I run a genarator on mine (safe rather than sorry) but I'm sure it would hold temp. that long,thats 1 reason they cost so much!
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
pyronoel
BBQ Pro

A few things to remember on the inverter....

Startup amps. A fridge that pulls 5 amps @ 120v may only be 600 watts running. But you might need a 2500 watt inverter to START the thing, or more. And this startup current is every time it cycles.

I have a small deep freeze I couldn't get to start on my 2500 watt inverter, and it was a good one.

Capacity is figured in Amp-Hours "Ah"

Deep cycle batteries are rated on a 20 hour rate in number of Ah. -Meaning a 100 Ah battery can support a 5 amp load for 20 hours. This capacity goes down a bit with higher amp draw.

You never want to cycle your batteries below 50% of this rating or you damage the plates.

So lets say your fridge that draws 600 watts running, runs 50% of the time during normal use.

A 6 hour gig from time you leave your house until you get back would be 30 amp hours.

My kitchen fridge says it draws 8 amps.

Another thing to remember - Most inverters are roughly 90% efficient. So when figuring your wattage, times by 11, not 10 to go from 12v to 120v. So a 10 watt load at 120v is going to cost you 11watts from a battery.

You can get a couple big deep cycle batteries and a BIG inverter for less than a quiet honda generator. This assumes you have a big enough battery bank, and a quality 3 stage charger so you don't damage the batteries.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

Great info Pyro.
I learned alot at a website named "The inverter store" or something similar
I use an inverter to run quite a few different things, but I have not tried to power any cooling compressors with it yet. I typicall use it for halogen lighting, and running our rotisserie when we use it. I have also run different kitchen tools like a stand mixer, food processor, etc etc.

My ultimate set-up (if I were running a vending operation) would be to have several monstrous 6-volt batteries on the a-frame of the trailer wired to provide 12VDC, a solar-panel charging system on the roof of the trailer, shore power, and a diesel generator running on biodiesel. This would cover any possibility I could ever need IMO.
An auto-switching panel would be cool too.
I just use our trailer to haul gear, I never do any prep or cooking inside of it. So you guys have way neater trailers than I do.
OC PIG ASSASSINS

Always have your reefer running. I use to plug and unplug mine all the time and it just breaks all the time. I have a new TRUE T-72 and it never shuts off even in the off season. Always have yours on especially when traveling.
tonyg
BBQ Pro

oops!

Last edited by tonyg on May 20 2010; edited 3 times in total
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: May 20 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyg wrote:
biodesiel??? when did you go lefty?

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Great info Pyro.
I learned alot at a website named "The inverter store" or something similar
I use an inverter to run quite a few different things, but I have not tried to power any cooling compressors with it yet. I typicall use it for halogen lighting, and running our rotisserie when we use it. I have also run different kitchen tools like a stand mixer, food processor, etc etc.

My ultimate set-up (if I were running a vending operation) would be to have several monstrous 6-volt batteries on the a-frame of the trailer wired to provide 12VDC, a solar-panel charging system on the roof of the trailer, shore power, and a diesel generator running on biodiesel. This would cover any possibility I could ever need IMO.
An auto-switching panel would be cool too.
I just use our trailer to haul gear, I never do any prep or cooking inside of it. So you guys have way neater trailers than I do.

How can anyone complain about using fuel that cost less than 42 cents a gallon if you make it yourself like I do?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: