FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tenderizing Steak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SQWIB

PostPosted: May 14 2010    Post subject: Tenderizing Steak Reply with quote

I know this has nothing to do with smoking meat, but I really trust the expertise of this forum

What does everyone think about salting the steaks with kosher salt for up to an hour then rinsing and patting dry before searing?

Has anyone tried this?
Chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 14 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

many people will not salt their meat till after it is off the pit to protect it from drying the meat. I do use kosher salt on my steaks. I dont leave it on there for a long time but I do grill them with it. I have never had anyone throw one back at me because it s to dry. I have a pump grinder that i use to put in on them so that I dont have those big salt granules on my steak.
Soybomb
BBQ Fan

Sounds like it would draw a lot of moisture out to me. If I did try it, I'd probably weigh the steak before and after and try to determine how much. Sometimes I'm surprised.

Have you been letting your steaks come up to room temp for an hour before cooking anyway? That was probably the single biggest thing I did that helped my steaks.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

Cooks illustrated in the January issue had a complete guide for salting meats. THey recommend salting a steak with Kosher salt an hour before grilling. Their reasoning was that it draws moisture to the surface and taht draws the seasoning into the meat when grilled.
SQWIB

Soybomb wrote:
Sounds like it would draw a lot of moisture out to me. If I did try it, I'd probably weigh the steak before and after and try to determine how much. Sometimes I'm surprised.

Have you been letting your steaks come up to room temp for an hour before cooking anyway? That was probably the single biggest thing I did that helped my steaks.

My last steak I did not let it come up to room temp, cooked on fire pit and was decent.

But I did a steak on the grill a few weeks ago and used meat tenderizer and really laid it on heavy, forked the hell out of it then seared 4 minutes turned 90 degrees cooked 4 minutes then flipped and repeated.
It was one of the best steaks I had it was London broil (Top Round) the meat had the Maillard thing going on and it was awesome, it was slightly salty, however my wife doesn't want me to use the tenderizer for health reasons.

Last edited by SQWIB on May 14 2010; edited 1 time in total
SQWIB

BigOrson wrote:
Cooks illustrated in the January issue had a complete guide for salting meats. THey recommend salting a steak with Kosher salt an hour before grilling. Their reasoning was that it draws moisture to the surface and taht draws the seasoning into the meat when grilled.

Have you tried this?
Boombotty

I just kosher salted a prime ribeye I got from Sams 2 nights ago and it was wonderful. It was about 1.5" thick and let the salt sit on there for about 45 min. After that, I rinsed and seasoned as usual. I had the other steak from that pack a couple nights before that and it wasn't nearly as tender. I believe salting makes a huge difference.
Scott
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

This was from the Steak throwdown, it was a 1# T-Bone ~2" thick. I done the salt pack for about an hour and rinsed under cold water, patted dry, sprinkled butcher grind black pepper on it and grilled to 120. It was the best tasting steak I have ever eaten, moist and tender too.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

SQWIB wrote:
BigOrson wrote:

Have you tried this?

Been doing it that way for years, just didn't know the whole science behind it. I fixed a couple of cowboy ribeyes that way last night.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

BigOrson wrote:
SQWIB wrote:
BigOrson wrote:

Have you tried this?

Been doing it that way for years, just didn't know the whole science behind it. I fixed a couple of cowboy ribeyes that way last night.

I have always seasoned well ahead of time, but switched to the salting method for large beef cuts after reading cook's and watching the test kitchen. great stuff. I try and salt about an hour ahead of time and then pat dry and try and get the meat really dry before cooking.

but basically the salt pulls the water out, it mixes with the salt and then gets drawn back into the meat...semi-dry brining, kinda.
SQWIB

Do you rinse the salt, I see you did not post that?

When you salt, if the meat is already wet, do you pat dry then add salt or does it matter?
Boombotty

Yes, rinse and make sure you use kosher salt.
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: May 15 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt draws moisture and other elements out which help with the caramelization when you sear the steak.

My steak gets a decent coating of kosher salt and pepper an hour before cooking. Then I grill it over high heat turning once.

I do not wash off the salt for it does not crisp up as nice on the grill.

Salt does not tenderize anything. Nor does marinading. You would have to marinade something for a seriously long time to actually break down any connective tissue. It does how ever make meat more flavorful and juicy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: