FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First High Heat Cook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeremySTL

PostPosted: Sun May 09 10 1:36 am    Post subject: First High Heat Cook Reply with quote

Found a 12 pound brisket on sale this morning and thought I'd give the high heat method a shot. Any tips or advice you guys can give would be great. Put it on about an hour ago. I'll post a few pics along the way.

JeremySTL

PostPosted: Sun May 09 10 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im at an hour and a half now, sure seems funny to see the temp so high on my remote

Mattytee

PostPosted: Sun May 09 10 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 7lb butt I am doing the same way right now, been on for about an hour or so right around 330. Also have a rack of baby backs and soem chicken quarters to put on later. This is the second high-heat "speed" cook I've done.

The first one was almost too quick. I did a butt around 350 and it was done in a few hours but just not enough smoke penetration for me. This time I am easing back the temp a bit and I butterflied the meat.

Good luck on the brisket!
JeremySTL

PostPosted: Sun May 09 10 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smoker has settled to 317 and my meat is at 134 at around two and a half hours in. I'm a little worried how this going to turn out. This high heat cook has taken it's toll on the smoker. I started with all my paint on this morning Mad

JeremySTL

PostPosted: Sun May 09 10 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the results are in. I pulled it after 6 and a half hours the temp was 197. Let it rest for 2 hours. It was really dry, tough, and stringy and no smoke flavor at all. I even injected it with beef broth before the cook, hopefully for some extra moisture. The burnt ends turned out pretty good, but thats about it. Average temp for the cook was around 330.

The brisket was a walmart packer select. Next time i'm going choice. I'm gonna keep at this, what a time save this is, I just cant do the all night cooks anymore. Heres the finished pictures of a brisket gone bad

Mattytee

PostPosted: Sun May 09 10 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you cut it with the grain which would explain the stringyness. There seems to be a decent bark and smoke ring, how long did you leave it in once it came up to temp?
texaggie2007

PostPosted: Sun May 09 10 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that a BGE wireless thermometer? Does it have 2 probes? Where can you buy one?
Thanks
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun May 09 10 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattytee wrote:
It looks like you cut it with the grain which would explain the stringyness. There seems to be a decent bark and smoke ring, how long did you leave it in once it came up to temp?

I thought the same thing when I saw the picture. I haven't tried the hot and fast method yet, other than chicken.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 09 10 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texaggie2007 wrote:
is that a BGE wireless thermometer? Does it have 2 probes? Where can you buy one?
Thanks

That's clearly a rebadged version of the Maverick RediCheck ET-73. I've bought ET-73s from Ace Photo Digital via Amazon for under $40...

Cheers!
JeremySTL

PostPosted: Sun May 09 10 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day_trippr is correct, ET-73 dual probe. I did cut it with the grain Laughing I need to pay better attention, but even at that, nothing was going to help it out much. Is it necessary to foil with a high heat cook? I didnt foil just let it go to 197 candy therm slide right in with no resistance . I did notice no juice came out all when i pulled out the candy therm. I used the water pan during the cook.

I'm going to give it another shot next weekend for sure
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue May 11 10 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeremySTL, your brisket looks fantastic. Very Happy It might help foiling to keep it moist. I have never cooked an HH brisket but there are some members that cook them this way with great success. I will be watching for your next one to see how it turns out. Nicely done my man. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Mrs. K.A.M.
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, looks delicious Very Happy

My UDS.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing with high heat brisket at work. Foiled at 160 seemed to work well on the first go. Ran 350 on the smoke chef electric, took about 6 hours. I'll try to let you now how tomorrow's turns out. We cook 2 every day so I get to practice a lot.
DntBrnDPig
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foiling with help with the moisture. Cutting against the grain will help with tenderness and stringyness.
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 15 10 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting across the grain will make a huge difference. Also foiling for the last hour or longer will steam the meat in its own juices helping to tenderize it. BTW the wally world packers come out nice. No need to spend more on a different grade of brisket. When I do a high heat cook I try to run my cooker at 250ish for the first hour then crank it up to 300ish always foiling for the last hour or more.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15 10 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I high heat cook, I make sure it gets a good, (not excessive smoke), and that it's foiled as it passes 160, with 1/2 cup of beef broth.

I take them to 197 - 205, rest them an hour, I always do packers, but I buy from Sam's Club most of the time and they are choice or CAB choice, depending on what they have on offer at the store on the day.

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: