FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

welding help please,,,,,,

View previous topic :: View next topic  
romex2121
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 9:15 pm    Post subject: welding help please,,,,,, Reply with quote

wondering what rods you guys are using for 1/4'' pipe ,,,and at what amps are you using them at,,, ive been using 7018 (DC) i have used some 6013 but didnt like the weld i was getting,,all were 1/8'' rods,, had a welder tell me to try some 6010,, im using a miller thunderbolt welder and it does well for around the house and a few smokers i have done,, im not a pro at welding so im looking for a rod thats easy to use and will make nice clean welds ,,, thanks for any insight,,, also what rods for the smaller stuff such as 1/8'' metal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romex2121 i use the heck out of 6010++ or 6010+p or if you go to a welding supply store and ask for a 5P+ in what ever size you want. 1/8 is about the all around best. the cool thing about 5P+ you can use it as a stringer bead for low hi or use it by its self
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume you are talking about pipe which is 1/4" thick, and not 1/4" NPT pipe.

Rods of either 3/32" or 1/8" will work fine on 1/4" thick material. Pipe welding is always challenging. What I do is first of all to admit I'm not a pipe welder and get over it, then I work in short steps. The trick to 7018 (my favorite electrode by far) is to keep your arc very short. Keep the end of the electrode almost right in the puddle. Get your face right in where you can see the puddle. Don't watch the arc, watch the puddle. Learn what it looks like when the puddle is getting away from you -- when that happens, you need to shove the rod in more, NOT pull it out.

Practice, grasshopper ..
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat May 15 10 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romex2121, if your machine is DC then 6010 can be run, 6010's are not an AC rod. If your are running one pass on your pipe with the 7018 and not happy with the results. Try running a root pass with 6010's(if your machine is AC/DC) or 6011's clean up the pass with your grinder and cap with the 7018. A root pass on pipe joints with 7018's is hard to pretty up unless you are experienced at it You could also try a 7014 rod. I also recommend trying a different brand of rods. I never use Forney's I do not care for the way they flow. I use WeldMarks. The difference in their 6013 and Forney's is like night and day in my opinion. For 1/8'' material my go to rod is a 6013 3/32'' unless I am joining the 1/8'' material to thicker metal. Then I will use a 6013 1/8'' and I can concentrate on the parent metal and flow to the thinner.

Hybrid Cooker
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 15 10 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 k.am when I run low hi 1/8 (7010 7018) I run it pretty low between 60-80 amp at 99volts but every welding machine is different unless you got some experience with low hydrogen its a pain in the a$$ to weld for what we are welding you'll find that 6010++ will be your best go to rod i use 1/8 rod for everything smaller then 1/4 and have even used it all the way up to 1/2
smokin_dodge

PostPosted: Sat May 15 10 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess ill throw in my two cents seeing as my degree somewhat focuses around this....

i agree with all thats been said so far - but i would suggest sticking just to 1/8" 7018's. you have to learn how to watch the puddle, but also learn how to differentiate between the flux and the puddle. I learned on 6011's and thats the rod i primarily use when stick welding because its a rust cutter.

i would stay away from the 6013 as thats more of a sheet metal rod, but it will work in a pinch.

the other advantage of the 7018 (though it takes a little practice to get it down) is that it makes a beautiful bead. nothin looks better than a multiple pass with a 7018 - even if you cant really weld they normally turn out really good.

i run my machine around 90-100 depending on position (overhead and uphill around 90-95 and flat around 100)

its like i tell the kids in the welding class, the only way to become comfortable and good is to just run beads. when i get bored i buy a 5lb box of rods and just run beads

pm for details
alldaymckay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28 10 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7018 and 6010in 1/8 inch are both good choices. I usually run in the 90 amp range and turn it down for thinner plate or filling gaps. these rods require different techniques to achieve a good weld appearance.

7018 is easy keep a short arc and watch your puddle and how it flows between the toes (edges of the pieces you are welding). you want your puddle to penetrate both pieces evenly. you want your electrode at a 45 degree angle with you rod leaning slightly away form your weld bead.
if your bead sticks up like a bump and sticks your rod too much turn up the amps. if you are burning through or have lots of spatter turn it down,

6010 is a great welding rod, i love the p5+ version of this electrode. many people dont like this stuff because they have troubles with their bead appearance, but success is all in the technique. this rod will run lower amps than 7018 in the 70 80 amp range. this stuff likes a long arc 1/8 inch or more. you will need to manipulate your rod in and out of your puddle. keep your eye on your puddle whip your rod out and you will see your puddle cool then whip it back in heat it up and back out.
you just stack puddles on top of each other and move your way down your pass. it welds down hill very nicely and you can fill huge gaps.
it grinds easily and puts in less heat than 7018.

for smaller plate either of these in 3/32 work great, i often use 3/32 on 1/4 inch plate.

once you know the technique its all about timing and you will only learn that through practice .
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31 10 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the above posters.

Only thing I can add is that you really just need to get to know your machine. I think on many of the machines the actual amp setting is not what you get at the electrode. Getting some scrap f the thickness you plan on welding really helps figure out what amperage setting you actually need to run to get a good bead. For me I find that my 7018 runs very well at 135A setting on the machine. Am I actually getting 135 @ the stick? I dunno, I have just learned through trial and error that @ that setting I get the puddle and bead that I am looking for most of the time in a flat welding position. If I am going to be running vertical up I usually turn it down a tad to 120. Outer corner on a frame of some sort I will usually go down even more to the 105A area to prevent burning through etc.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02 10 7:22 am    Post subject: my $0.02 Reply with quote

Most of my welders use 1/8" 6010 for the root. 3/32 7018 for the cover pass. That is with a dc machine. That way they leave the machine on the same amps. With ac 6011 with a 6013 cover..

As everybody stated amps should be set on your machine so it welds great..not what the numbers say. My instructor had us tape over the numbers so we could get the hang of all the machines. practice is the only teacher...instructor is only a coach Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: