FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Water tank hook up

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 3892
Location: Starkweather,ND

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 5:47 pm    Post subject: Water tank hook up Reply with quote

I'm at the point now of installing my water tanks in my trailer,But I'm a little confused on which outlet to use to drain the grey water out and if I need to vent the grey water tank.I have three 3/4" outlets and a 1 1/2" outlets,Plus the inlets for draining the greywater into.(see photos)

_________________
Good BBQ is all smoke and beers!
The Dawghouse Custom vertical Gasser
Custom Made offset smoker
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 1407

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be concerned about how you're going to connect the sink drain, abs is larger than that, I guess you will have to reduce it down or use the cheapy rv plastic.
Obviously you will have to lay the tank down with the large opening up for the sink drain. The lower nipple you can tap off or run a hose to the trailer wall with a external door and a tap for tank draining. I would also use the top nipple for a vent.

Here's a few pics..

This is what I did, note it was still under construction in the pic but it may help..



One of Russells:
http://www.russellconcessions.com/plumbingpics.html

Tank drain:
http://www.easternmarineoutlet.com/Camco-Evacuation-Flange-37271/

See the larger opening.
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=9310&categoryID=502

Hope that helps
Cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 3892
Location: Starkweather,ND

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Smoke wrote:
I'd be concerned about how you're going to connect the sink drain, abs is larger than that, I guess you will have to reduce it down or use the cheapy rv plastic.
Obviously you will have to lay the tank down with the large opening up for the sink drain. The lower nipple you can tap off or run a hose to the trailer wall with a external door and a tap for tank draining. I would also use the top nipple for a vent.

Here's a few pics..

This is what I did, note it was still under construction in the pic but it may help..



One of Russells:
http://www.russellconcessions.com/plumbingpics.html

Tank drain:
http://www.easternmarineoutlet.com/Camco-Evacuation-Flange-37271/

See the larger opening.
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=9310&categoryID=502

Hope that helps
Cheers

there is a couple of plugs in the top i guess to use as drains from the sink if I lay it flat.or I can drill new hole for the sink drain.I noticed you have a valve on the bottom of the tank next to the wall,is that a standard hose faucet?will they fit 3/4" hole?
_________________
Good BBQ is all smoke and beers!
The Dawghouse Custom vertical Gasser
Custom Made offset smoker
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 503
Location: New Baltimore Mich.

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you got a water storage tank to use as a grey tank?
I guess it could be done but your butchering up a good tank, and thats only if you have the sink clearence to drain into that tank. Why not go an actual grey tank mounted under the trailer?



Heres inside under my sinks. no way in hell i could have fit a grey tank in here. I use a 32 gallon fresh tank and a 40 gallon grey tank.


_________________
2013 BBQ Person of the Year
Pitmaster at Lockharts BBQ in Royal Oak Mi.
I cook the best brisket north of Dallas.
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 1407

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="daddywoofdawg"]
Southern Smoke wrote:




there is a couple of plugs in the top i guess to use as drains from the sink if I lay it flat.or I can drill new hole for the sink drain.I noticed you have a valve on the bottom of the tank next to the wall,is that a standard hose faucet?will they fit 3/4" hole?


Thats a tap for draining the water, It since been connected to an outside drain as depicted in one of the links. Yes,It's a std water hose size, most any of those inlets, fittings, etc can be adapted to suit the desired size.

Can you keep that tank for a fresh water tank and get a grey water tank as per the link I listed, instead of hacking it up?


Last edited by Louie3 on Thu May 13 10 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 1407

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bbq Bubba,

thats the ideal way, however I opted to install mine inside for cold weather reasons, an outside tank here wouldn't be worth a pinch of coon-poop... Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 503
Location: New Baltimore Mich.

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a very good point. Laughing

I would be leary of anything less that 2" for a drain. Grease builds up in those tanks pretty fast and would think it could plug a smaller line.
_________________
2013 BBQ Person of the Year
Pitmaster at Lockharts BBQ in Royal Oak Mi.
I cook the best brisket north of Dallas.
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro


Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 571
Location: The Heartland of America

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using this type of tank for grey water, I laid it down with the 1 1/4" fitting down so I could use it for a drain. I am cutting a hole in the top for the sink drain and sealing it with silicon cauking. Haven't done that yet.
I'm using one of the small fittings for a vent.
I placed the tank on a piece of 5/8" plywood the size of the tank and propped up one end on a 2x4 and shimmed the middle for support.
This way I got the 'sloped bottom' which satisfied the HD.

Hope this helps.
_________________
Tender - Juicy - Smoky - Goodness

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 3892
Location: Starkweather,ND

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Smoke wrote:
Hey Bbq Bubba,

thats the ideal way, however I opted to install mine inside for cold weather reasons, an outside tank here wouldn't be worth a pinch of coon-poop... Wink

Same here it get's -25 in the winter here.and even this month it has danced near freezing.
Bestiverhad:That is pretty much the way i'm thinking of doing it.
_________________
Good BBQ is all smoke and beers!
The Dawghouse Custom vertical Gasser
Custom Made offset smoker
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
az mike
BBQ Fan


Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Posts: 382
Location: seaz

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you follow what RV's use for standard applications you can have all weather applications that are practical to use. Like Bubba I have two gray (black) tanks that have the RV 3" blade drain outside the rig. We can get very cold here also, it got down to 28 degrees this winter!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 503
Location: New Baltimore Mich.

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bestiverhad wrote:
Using this type of tank for grey water, I laid it down with the 1 1/4" fitting down so I could use it for a drain. I am cutting a hole in the top for the sink drain and sealing it with silicon cauking. Haven't done that yet.
I'm using one of the small fittings for a vent.
I placed the tank on a piece of 5/8" plywood the size of the tank and propped up one end on a 2x4 and shimmed the middle for support.
This way I got the 'sloped bottom' which satisfied the HD.

Hope this helps.


Brilliant! Laughing
_________________
2013 BBQ Person of the Year
Pitmaster at Lockharts BBQ in Royal Oak Mi.
I cook the best brisket north of Dallas.
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 1407

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know you can get "Relocation Fitting kits" for those plastic tanks.

Got to go and blow the snow out of the driveway..dang had a foot last nite, pwr off ...the whole enchilada... Crying or Very sad Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 3892
Location: Starkweather,ND

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is what I'm seeing from you folks photos of the plumbing,is this right?If not please let me know which lines are wrong or can be done better.

_________________
Good BBQ is all smoke and beers!
The Dawghouse Custom vertical Gasser
Custom Made offset smoker
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milt
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 09 Oct 2006
Posts: 1233
Location: June-OCT N.Y. Nov-May FL

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Smoke wrote:
Ya know you can get "Relocation Fitting kits" for those plastic tanks.

Got to go and blow the snow out of the driveway..dang had a foot last nite, pwr off ...the whole enchilada... Crying or Very sad Wink


I feel your pain, we had 8 inches of sun and in the 90's.
Time to head north. Wink Very Happy
_________________
Curt
www.kissmybuttsbbq.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 1407

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milt wrote:
Southern Smoke wrote:
Ya know you can get "Relocation Fitting kits" for those plastic tanks.

Got to go and blow the snow out of the driveway..dang had a foot last nite, pwr off ...the whole enchilada... Crying or Very sad Wink


I feel your pain, we had 8 inches of sun and in the 90's.
Time to head north. Wink Very Happy


LOL, I hear ya, but thats too hot.... Wink It's a great place if you like snow, -40's, 100 degrees + dry hot & sandy in summer, oh and did I mention the bugs? I guess thats why they call it "The Land God gave to Cain:..
Actually,it is quite nice here... Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Louie3
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 1407

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWD
Looks like you got it covered, just lay it out and route the tubing around neatly and away from hazards. You can tee there, I did it at the heater. Keep the pump close to the fresh water tank and ensure the standpipe is just slightly off the bottom of the tank to prevent cavitation etc..

Make sure the pump electric wiring is shielded from possible water leaks and is properly grounded.

Also I would vent both tanks to ensure a good flow for filling and draining.Try and have your drain pipes from the three sinks at a slight decline to enhance flow.

What type of pump and heater did you settle on?

One more question: How are you going to know when your tank is full, run around the corner and look like I do?? LOL I was going to rig something up for that but never got around to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 503
Location: New Baltimore Mich.

PostPosted: Fri May 14 10 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milt wrote:
Southern Smoke wrote:
Ya know you can get "Relocation Fitting kits" for those plastic tanks.

Got to go and blow the snow out of the driveway..dang had a foot last nite, pwr off ...the whole enchilada... Crying or Very sad Wink


I feel your pain, we had 8 inches of sun and in the 90's.
Time to head north. Wink Very Happy


That just ain't right. Shocked
_________________
2013 BBQ Person of the Year
Pitmaster at Lockharts BBQ in Royal Oak Mi.
I cook the best brisket north of Dallas.
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Bestiverhad
BBQ Pro


Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Posts: 571
Location: The Heartland of America

PostPosted: Wed May 19 10 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me ask, what fittings are you guys using to connect the faucet 1/2" male, to the 1/2" hose?
1/2" male to hose barb is what I need but can't seem to find it locally.
Got any suggestions?
_________________
Tender - Juicy - Smoky - Goodness

Very Happy "What would you like to drink with that?" Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Vending All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group