FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Something that bothers me
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reggae Q
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 5:32 am    Post subject: Something that bothers me Reply with quote

I've never seen this addressed but it bothers me. Oak is one of my favorite woods to cook with. Why is it you don't even see oak chips or chunks? It's not really a big deal to me as I'm back to splits and cut my own chucks for my bullet. But, why is this???

I mean, obviously there are specialty places. But I just don't get it. One of the most common and best woods and you can't find it.

My grocery stores carry Hickory, Mesquite, Cherry, Apple and they also carry a blend of Cherry/Apple/Sassafras

Sorry, just been pondering. Laughing
NaughtyNurse
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, I've never seen oak either. Othan than the chips from Jack Daniels barrels................ Where does it all go?
KCBS CBJ
FEC-100, FE/PG1000, 22" WSM, Good-One Rodeo, Big Steel Keg
Reggae Q
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know and it works so well with so many dishes. I just ran out of wood and have a cord being delivered tomm. 75% oak and 25% hickory...I mainly like hickory on an offset. I don't know why. Maybe it's just how it burns.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know and i suspect it may have to do with its relative ease of being found anywhere in the US as fire wood.
I used to get my Oak from FIL when he had a wood stove. Now he lives in a new place that had a pellet stove already installed. He has talked about going back to a wood stove.
thunderburp
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oak does make for a fine smoking wood, I used to use nothing but oak pellets in my pellet grill, I could get them only in the fall at HD, they sold multiple brands for pellet heat but I did find a brand that was solid oak that had no additives and was safe for the grill. I haven't seen them for awhile now so I use hickory mostly now. It's to bad cause I could get a 40lb. bag for under 5.00, now I pay 20.00+ for hickory.

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Traeger 075
2 x 22.5" Webers
ECB
Brinkman Gasser
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys just made me smile, I prefer fruit wood but am running out with the Lang, Just bought 3 face cords of oak for $110, cut split and delivered
OwenStubbs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

animal wrote:
You guys just made me smile, I prefer fruit wood but am running out with the Lang, Just bought 3 face cords of oak for $110, cut split and delivered

That is insane. I would pay that much for a single cord here in Chicago, and its a mix of god knows what.
CliffC
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About an hour south of me-

http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/
charleso
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to high jack this post or anything, but define the dimensions of "face cord". A cord is a cord is: 4'X4'X8'=128 cubic feet=a whole s@#tpot of split firewood. If one bought three stacks of 16" oak firewood that were 4' high X 8' long, that would be a full cord, and bought that for $110, you made out like a bandit, even if it is so green it is still dripping sap.
Spanx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Something that bothers me Reply with quote

Reggae Q wrote:
I've never seen this addressed but it bothers me. Oak is one of my favorite woods to cook with. Why is it you don't even see oak chips or chunks? It's not really a big deal to me as I'm back to splits and cut my own chucks for my bullet. But, why is this???

I mean, obviously there are specialty places. But I just don't get it. One of the most common and best woods and you can't find it.

My grocery stores carry Hickory, Mesquite, Cherry, Apple and they also carry a blend of Cherry/Apple/Sassafras

I have not heard of many people cooking with sassafras exept my team and a few people here in the south. Do they really have a mix of cherry apple and sassafras
BRBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Jack Daniels chips not sure about chunks, Westlake has apple, pecan, hick, now I'll have to look again.
Reggae Q
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Something that bothers me Reply with quote

Spanx wrote:
Reggae Q wrote:

I have not heard of many people cooking with sassafras exept my team and a few people here in the south. Do they really have a mix of cherry apple and sassafras

I'll have to look at the bag again as I think I have one at the house but I know there is sassafras and cherry in it. I'll get the exact info
Chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about oak is the way it cooks. It makes great coals and does not burn to hot or to fast. It does not have the flavor some others do but the cooking factor is way ahead of many other woods. To get a little flavor I will throw on a little mesquite or pecan in with the mix. I do not like cooking with it mesquite exclusivly. It burns hot and dirty.
loomis1228
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 12 10 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love oak and that's pretty much all I cook with. My best friend is a foreman at a large cemetery and they have fallen MATURE oaks, cherry's and other trees. We pretty much have an unending supply of wood!
"The Bone Barrel"--Weber Smoky Mountain
Hasty Bake Surburban
Weber Performer
Weber Gas
mkevenson
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a bag of oak chunks at my local hardware store. May have been Home Depot. Large bag nice price. Maybe it's a Kalifornia thing?

Mark's Kitchen and Smokin' BBQ
Fig Pucker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a mix of oak trees on my property.

Is there a taste difference between Red and white oak?

And on a related notes, do different types of Maple taste different? I've got mostly red and norway maple.
Reggae Q
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fig Pucker wrote:
I've got a mix of oak trees on my property.

Is there a taste difference between Red and white oak?

And on a related notes, do different types of Maple taste different? I've got mostly red and norway maple.

Yes on the red and white oak. I like both though.

While oak is plentiful here, so is hickory and not everyone orders truckloads of wood for cooking. Just seems weird to me that oak chips/chunks are not a staple in the bbq isle. Even if they were, I wouldn't buy them but still seems odd
DreChar
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Something that bothers me Reply with quote

The two most common ways to measure firewood is by the "Full Cord" or "Face Cord". A face cord measures 8' wide x 4' high, the depth of a face cord may vary depending on the person who is cutting the wood (average firewood length is 16"-18"). A "Full Cord" of firewood measures 8' wide x 4' high x 4' deep making it difficult to determine what size firewood rack to purchase since firewood is cut to different depths.

Last edited by DreChar on Thu May 13 10 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used Oak. I'm hickory, apple and cherry. I will have to try oak....it seems I've heard people say they fuel their stickburners with oak and then add smaller amounts of other woods for flavoring. I have had people offer me oak but I was so unfamiliar with it I passed. I'll have to get clued in by some of you guys that use oak, give it a try and see if I like using it.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
Reggae Q
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13 10 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.c.hawg wrote:
I have never used Oak. I'm hickory, apple and cherry. I will have to try oak....it seems I've heard people say they fuel their stickburners with oak and then add smaller amounts of other woods for flavoring. I have had people offer me oak but I was so unfamiliar with it I passed. I'll have to get clued in by some of you guys that use oak, give it a try and see if I like using it.

Man, oak is my favorite. Depending on what part of the world you're located, just stay away from black oak which shouldn't be much of a problem. With my Lonestar, I used oak and hickory. Nothing else. Had such a large firebox, I couldn't use stuff like apple without spending a fortune
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: