FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heat Loss From Horizontal to Vertical on an Off-Set

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthopp

PostPosted: Sep 01 2010    Post subject: Heat Loss From Horizontal to Vertical on an Off-Set Reply with quote

Howdy All, long time lurker, first time poster.

Finishing up a trailer build and seasoned it over the weekend, it stayed a constant 220-225 on both horizontal thermometers so I am happy with my tuning plates! I will break out the wireless thermometers this weekend.

I still need to learn how to cook on this pit, but what can one expect for heat loss through the vertical portion of the smoker? I was getting about 150 on the vertical thermometer; is this reasonable? I only had it smoking for 4-5hrs so the pit was just starting to get warm.

Pit is 30in x 5ft, the exhaust is a vertical chamber (18-in diameter x 30in) and is finally exhausted; the vertical will mainly be used for warming.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sep 02 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthopp, welcome to the ring. I look forward to seeing some pics of your cooks and seeing some pics of your cooker build. Smile
If your temps are accurate then I would be very happy holding 150 in the warmer. It sounds to me that your are well balanced and working properly.
If your temps get much warmer than 150 then you are on the verge of cooking in your warmer.

Hybrid Cooker
Gig 'Em

PostPosted: Sep 02 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthopp, this sounds very similar to what I'm thinking of doing, except on a much smaller scale (see my other thread). Do you have any pics you can post?
matthopp

PostPosted: Sep 03 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post some pics of my setup after this weekends fun.

Gig'em, if your in Aggieland this weekend, you are welcome to come to the tailgate and see it yourself!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: