FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warmer Box (Now really FINISHED w/ Food Pron 12/27!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pivoguide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16 11 10:21 am    Post subject: Warmer Box (Now really FINISHED w/ Food Pron 12/27!) Reply with quote

I have always had plans to add a warmer box to my trailer pit.

http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab254/pivoguide/Pivoguide%20Trailer%20Pit/

I have finally got around to doing so. Fortunately, k.a.m. is again leading the way so I am trailing again. I have some weight limitations so I am building a light weight version. 3/4" sq tubing frame skinned with 14 gauge plate. PITA welding 3/4" 14g square tubing but bought it as scrap so the price was right. It should end up weighing in around 140 lbs versus the same box in 1/4" plate at 280# or more.

I'll continue the build this weekend so more to come.

Last edited by pivoguide on Wed Dec 28 11 10:44 am; edited 6 times in total
KingRanch450

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16 11 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to seeing more pics
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16 11 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark your warming chamber is looking fantastic. Very Happy I will be watching for more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16 11 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, can't wait to see it in person as well
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
pivoguide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17 11 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingRanch450 Smile I hit the welding shop and the steel yard today so more materials on hand so more building soon. I considered adding insulation but I am going to try it without first.

Thanks Kevin Smile I still haven't figured out how I am going to attach the skin. 14 gauge and stick welding doesn't sound like fun to me. I believe that I am going to plug weld it to the frame then see how it looks. I may end up doing a quick (and I mean quick) bead down the edges and then using my friend, the grinder, to pretty it up.

Thanks Big Ron Smile If I don't get off my duff and get my entry in the viewing may end being later in the year.
pivoguide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18 11 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some work done on Saturday which turned out to be a nice day. Added the slides and rod guide for the inlet plate, the rack guides, the supports for the chimney and two small plates for the temperature gauges. Tomorrow I'll start on the skin. I was hoping to finish this quick but it seems to be dragging.

pivoguide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21 11 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a little progress on the warming box over the last couple of days.

I added a drain (Look familiar Kevin?)

Attached one side using plug welds (twice because I didn't get good welds the first time). Added couplings for two temperature gauges which will face the door side of the main pit.

I got the slide plate and rod installed

Stopped working on it to address the smoke stack issue I mentioned in another thread. I got one right but missed this one. If you look at the ring versus the inner pipe you can see how much it was canted. Cut it off, removed the roof penetration rings and recut roof hole to get aligned. Probably would have not been noticeable to most but I wanted it correct before adding the Warmer which would restrict access to it.

When it stops raining (got 2.1" this morning so far!) I'll get started again.
pivoguide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22 11 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow progress to report. After spending a day correcting the main pit stack, I finally got going again on the warmer. Cut out the smoke entry above the fire box and made the 1/4" steel sleeve to join them together. '

In one of those brillant moments, I decided to weld the sleeve to the warmer first which leaves me with trying to weld the bottom side of this...

I am now thinking of cutting off any projection of the sleeve into the pit so I'll be able to weld the edges or at least be able to see the seam.

I did get the stack cut to match my other two.

The 4.5" 1/8" wall tubing cut on a 45 gave the 14" Dewalt all it could handle. Tripped the 20A breaker three times before getting through it.

I made the flapper for the Warmer stack.

It is raining again this morning so that is the main reason for the long post. More to come...
pivoguide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24 11 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas to All! I am getting close to finishing the warmer. Before adding the sides and back to it, I laid the door fronts out and used the access to center up the frames.

I then attached the sides and back with plug welds. A little time consuming but definitely the right way with thin gauge plate. On the doors, I welded those from the back and had to use a hammer to straighten them back out.

I used weld on hinges instead of home made. Enough time already, get it on and working!

I got the stack designed and started. I should finish sometime today and get a fire going to see the results of all this work. While the fire is going, I plan on constructing the grates.

We'll see how it holds temp with the nice, cold North wind today.
tanglediver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25 11 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine job so far, it looks great!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25 11 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, your warming chamber is looking fantastic. Very Happy Your gonna be back up and running full throttle well before January my Friend. Very Happy Very nice work I look forward to some more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
pivoguide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25 11 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tanglediver Smile

Thanks Kevin Smile It still looks the same this morning. I appreciate the door latch advice. I let the weather get to me and found things to do inside the house yesterday afternoon so no progress. See you in January! Smile
pivoguide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27 11 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S.O.B. is done!! (except for the grates). I spent another 3 hours today getting the damn stack straight - not that anyone but the slightly anal builder would ever notice. Very Happy I duplicated the pit stacks so the stack tip can be turned out of the wind. I can safely say that I will never produce another one so this is it!! Here is a picture of the stack with the ring it will sit on.

A closeup of the top ring where I had to fit three 1/8" rings on top of the 4.5" to bring it out to provide a seal.

I nearly screwed up the door handle placement when I set them right above the grate guides. The top one had at least a 1 1/2" clearance but I was at only 3/4" on the bottom one. Ended putting a piece of 3/4" angle to bring out the catch part and everything worked. Angled the piece so that the latch would tighten when turned closed then welded it so it wouldn't move. Nice and tight Twisted Evil

Finished product.

Again, it took a lot longer than planned but I can safely say that you will never see this stack design again from me!! Tomorrow I am firing it up to cook for my son's 23rd birthday. I let you know how it works out.
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27 11 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pivoguide, your warmer box and stacks look great. Very Happy
Better you spent the time fixing the stack now, if you didn't it would bother you every time you looked at it.
Good luck on the first cook and happy birthday to your son.
pivoguide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28 11 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GF Smile You're right - I would have notice for years to come. Here is a picture of the roof penetration and the three stacks up top.

I cooked today for my son's bday. While the food was on, I got the grates built.

The warmer performed fine. I had to let a little smoke in to maintain 150 F but then I also was running only 210 F in the main pit. I cooked a pot of beans on top of the firebox so all the design worked as planned.

Way too much time spent on this but I am glad it is over. The food (ribs and chicken leg quarters) came out great.

Thanks for your comments! Smile
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28 11 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, very nice modification work Very Happy
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28 11 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pivoguide, Glad the cooker worked out as planned, ( that rarely happens to me ).
All the food looks great.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28 11 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You added a fine looking warmer that does not look like you added a fine looking warmer. Tough to do, nice work.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28 11 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, awesome work on your warming chamber it looks fantastic. Very Happy That is a pan full of Goodness right there my Friend those ribs and chicken look amazing. Nicely done my man. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
pivoguide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29 11 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TrailerBuilder Smile

Thanks GF Smile We'll see how it'll do in wet and windy conditions but I doubt that'll be the only issue!

Thanks Wreckless Smile It does match the rest of the rig - weld quality, paint quality and fit and finish all pretty functional but sometimes not so pretty. Smile

Thanks Kevin Smile Food was great but I shut down all activity today. Feeling a little under the weather but tomorrow I'll get back to it. I have a truck rim fire pit to make for the son and then I've got to get busy on the end wings. See ya soon! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: