FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

120 Gallon RF Trailer Build (Painted w/Pics and Pron!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04 11 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, glad to hear you got things cleared up and feel confident about moving forward. The boys at Redneck are top notch and always willing to help. Keep the updates coming!
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12 11 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, a quick update.......since I got my trailer issues sorted, I've been working this week to get the tank mounted up. I had planned on getting the deck down too, but a brief detour to the hospital derailed those plans. I'm happy to report that they topped me off with 2 pints and I'm back at 100%. Got the deck material on the way, and I'm going to pick up some expanded and some more angle for the wood box. Here's some new pics......

Tank Mounted:

Weld Mounts:

Everyone have a great weekend!!! I'm off to the races tonight with my 9 year old, and helping my Brother in Law put a new roof on tomorrow. I'll be grilling ribeyes later in the day for the workers....... Very Happy

Cheers,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Thebus03

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13 11 12:51 pm    Post subject: Smoke Stack? Reply with quote

What type of smoker is this going to be? A reverse flow? A regular flow with tuning plates? I wasn't able to see a stack in your pictures.
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14 11 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thebus03: First off, welcome to the ring! Cool

You don't see my stack placement in the pics yet because I haven't mounted it yet.........This is going to be a reverse flow smoker. I'm getting ready to order up the steel to finish it off soon.

Thanks for looking,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14 11 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, your cooker is starting to take some nice form. I like the way it looks sitting on the trailer. Keep up the great work and the updates!

Now......what's up with this hospital trip??? Shocked Hope all is well man!
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14 11 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Troy, I hope to have a lot more done by this weekend.....I'm getting close and I've got the itch. Plus, we'd like to throw a big bash to break her in right on the 4th of July.....I need to get my a$$ in gear!!! Shocked

About the hospital.......I had gastric bypass surgery on April 1st (should have known better), and everything has been going smoothly up until about 3 weeks ago when I started having some dizziness (not cool when you're bent over welding) and general fatigue. As it turns out, I had an ulcer from taking aspirin that has been bleeding, so I spent three days in the hospital getting some tests run and getting topped off with 2 pints of blood. It's all good now, and we're back on track and I'm feeling much better.

I've lost about 80 pounds since March 25, which is totally sweet. Very Happy I still love to 'que, but I just won't be eating as much, so everyone else will get more of the spoils........

All the best,
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Thebus03

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14 11 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

Thanks for the Welcome! I am curious to see how you build out the reverse flow so lots of pictures would be nice. I just started my own build this last weekend on a 120 gallon horizontal propane tank. So far just have the doors cut and the trailer it will someday be mounted on. It will be nice to see some pictures so i can get a better idea of how to actually build one myself.

Thanks,
Nick
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14 11 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, sorry to here about your stay at the hospital I am glad all is well now. Your cooker looks great sitting on the trailer and its good to know you did not have to mess with your axle setup. I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 11 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Father's Day fellow Ringers!!! I enjoyed mine by taking the FIL, my kids, and my dear wife to breakfast this morning. After that, stopped at Farm & Fleet to pick up some cut-off wheels and some flapper discs so I could get to work. I got the deck put down earlier this week......

Reverse Flow Plates in:

Stack Mount welded in:

Wood Box built and Mounted:

And finally the overall concept:

Won't be able to get much done this week, but maybe will get the rest of the angle I need and expanded metal ordered. Should be puffing smoke in no time. Gonna take it to my blaster one more time to give her the final once over before I paint it.

Have a good week! Cool

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20 11 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, glad to hear all is well after the hospital visit. Cooker looks great man, very nice work indeed. Cant wait to see it puffing smoke!
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 11 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ringers.......

Well, I haven't updated in a while, and I've been pretty busy with work, so haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked. But, I was able to go to Germany, which is somewhere I've never been, so it's all good.

Despite the Excessive heat warnings, I've managed to stay under the hood and get her about ready for the final sandblasting and some paint. I do have a question for those of you who have built pits in the interest of flexibility.........Here goes:

I got an order of expanded metal, so I Got my wood storage box finished up. I'm going to put a top on it eventually.......

Here is the area behind the wood box where I'm going to mount the burners I haven't bought yet:

I bought a couple of chipping hammers and modified them into the handles on the firebox intakes:

Here's the handle for the lid.....I am using a hickory handle for a sledgehammer. I was also able to get the bungs wedlded on for the thermoometers and I got them in this week; Tel-tru glow in the dark dials:

Here's the log rack for the firebox:

Now for the questions.......I got my cooking rack done, but I'm undecided about how I should go about doing a second rack. There's really not a whole lot of room for doing beans and such, and I don't think I want to have rack slides taking up any more vertical room in the cook chamber. Have any of you had any luck doing some kind of rack that is removeable but doesn't use sliders???? Any suggestions?

And finally, where she sits tonight:

I still have to finish up the stack, but I'm going to wait on that until I actually get it, which should be on Saturday. I found a used 5" semi stack that I can get for $60, so should be good to go. I still have to do the mounts for the trailer lights and I want to replace the tongue jack.......Then some final grinding and ready for sand blast and paint. I can see the smoke at the end of the tunnel!!! Cool

Your Feedback is welcome..........

Thanks
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 11 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, your cooker is looking sharp. Very Happy Very nicely layed out. I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates.Very Happy
I quit looking at the end of the tunnel, the smoke and light are usually a train. Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 11 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat797, your cooker is looking good. Very Happy
Seems like your in the home stretch. Maybee for a second rack you can build legs on it and have it ride on top of your lower rack. Good luck with it.
SmokIan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20 11 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also look at making a way to hang a 2nd rack from the ceiling. That would save the space of sliders & keep from having your bottom rack hold ALL the weight.

Your cooker is looking absolutely AWESOME though!
Chargiller Smokin Pro

Offset Build In Progress:
DPish Offset
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24 11 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, the cooker is turning out great man! Looking good! On my backyarder, I toyed with the idea of a second shelf, but decided against it. My cooker is only 20" diameter, so the top grates would not really add that much. Angles for slide out grates is the norm, but I dont know why you couldnt weld a small "D" ring or an eyelet and actually hang the racks. Would be able to remove the racks and hangers if not needed and just be left with the rings in place. Just a thought, would be nice to see if something like that works, so I know if I should try it on my next project or not Laughing

Your doing a great job man! Hope all is well with you and yours. Very Happy
icecoldkicks
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25 11 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat797 wrote:
Wanabe: - Anytime you are in the neighborhood, give me a shout via PM and you are more than welcome to come take a look........I'm around most all the time.

Now for an update:

Just to prove to you guys that I haven't been working slow on purpose, pics to show the deck I've finished this spring.....This is my camper at a seasonal campground site. I did the front half of the deck last year, and this year I did the ground deck and the back 8' with a roof. I also put up the railing. I did the patio about 2 years ago......Enjoy!!!

Now for an update on the smoker project........I took the trailer over to my sandblaster last week. For the last two nights I have been putting in the tubing for extra support and finishing off the back end:

Now she's ready to be flipped over so I can work on the tongue and do some reinforcement of the underside.........I'll need a couple of buddies to help with this, so hopefully I'll have it done this week.

All the best........ Cool
Ed

Thats a really nice deck for the retreat! and the cooker is coming along great! shes gonna be nice when painted!

Slow & Low, That is the Tempo!!
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25 11 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments guys......I appreciate it, it keeps me motivated.

icecoldkicks, good to see you back around bud......Hope all is well.

I picked up my stack yesterday, and was able to get the sleeve made that mounts up to the cooker. I got to take it over to my buddy's that has a torch, so I can cut the hole out, and then I'll have some pics.

Thanks for the ideas Troy, I've been stewing about this all weekend and I'm probably going to attempt something similar to what you are talking about. More to come on that idea..........

All the best,
Ed Cool
Weber 22.5 Performer
cody
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25 11 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know how i missed this one. its looks great
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25 11 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cody..........
Weber 22.5 Performer
Thebus03

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30 11 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on your progress? I am looking forward to seeing it completed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: